Voyager 1 is likely dead

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
NASA hasn't said it officially, but the part of the spacecraft that functions most like a "computer" (it is too old to have a "CPU") is still sending meaningless data, and months after this started happening, NASA's engineers have not been able to fix it.

Part of the problem is that this is the first still-going mission where every single one of the original engineers who designed the mission has died. This guy, in the video below, coined an excellent term, that I believe should catch on, called "spacecraft archeology". That is basically what NASA's current engineers have had to engage in, because they have literally nobody to talk to who was involved in designing the mission.

BTW, this guy's videos are excellent, if you can get past his deep accent. He is very underrated as a YouTube science content creator.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
NASA hasn't said it officially, but the part of the spacecraft that functions most like a "computer" (it is too old to have a "CPU") is still sending meaningless data, and months after this started happening, NASA's engineers have not been able to fix it.

Part of the problem is that this is the first still-going mission where every single one of the original engineers who designed the mission has died. This guy, in the video below, coined an excellent term, that I believe should catch on, called "spacecraft archeology". That is basically what NASA's current engineers have had to engage in, because they have literally nobody to talk to who was involved in designing the mission.

BTW, this guy's videos are excellent, if you can get past his deep accent. He is very underrated as a YouTube science content creator.

It sounds like it's time for Geordi to conjure up George P. Textor and Carl Sagan on the holodeck and get some solutions ironed out.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Space doesn't exist.

“I used to believe in the heliocentric thing. Like, we used to revolve around the sun and stuff, but then I started seeing flat Earth stuff, and I was like, that’s kind of interesting. And they started bringing up some valid points, so… I mean, I don’t know. It could be real. It could be bull. I don’t know.”
I always felt TT might be a little bit suspect as "higher education", but, good grief.

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
So how does this guy get treated in a professional locker room? Is everyone okay with non football related stupidity? Or is there endless ridicule for this level of dumb? I’m guessing it’s brushed off but my goodness…. Keep your stupid to yourself.

• Agree
Reactions: demoncore1031

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Great, now we have to worry about Khan...
angry-frustration.gif

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
I would rate the Voyager Mission as important and more successful than the Apollo Missions.

Reactions: VeloClone