*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ehhhh…our scheduling problem wasn’t not having power 5 teams. It was that we played the worst of the worst low level teams. Get a few better SWACC teams and it would help.
True, but totally stupid. Play a bunch of teams in the low 200s should make zero difference vs playing teams in the 300s. Any good team is winning all those games either way but it has a big impact on SOS.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's all really stupid.

To make it not be super stupid you'd need to penalize other conferences that suck balls compared to the Big 12.

And before "they can't control who is in their conference"...oh yes they can, two conferences have been scheduling the conference games for eveyrbody and they have passed on elite basketball programs like Kansas, UConn, Houston, Arizona, Baylor along with solid programs like Utah, BYU, ISU, KSU.

They intentionally choose to be average in basketball and create a Big 12 super league. We shouldn't be penalized that all other conferences basically suck now.

Hell, we could look at Gonzaga.

We hear the message "they can't control their conference", but they turned down a move to the MWC a few years back that would have increased their conference SOS (and the SOS of other MWC members).

They've chosen to stay in the WCC and keep their formula of trying to get early wins and then coast on cupcakes for 2 months.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Guess that’s why KU didn’t try
Here's the problem: conference tourney wins only sometimes matter. The committee uses different criteria exclusively to justify their choices and that's problematic.

Apparently our Big XII Tourney wins didn't really mean much but other teams benefited from winning games in their conference tourneys. It has to cut both ways.

I'm big on analytics. The reason the NET was developed in the first place was to give the committee the best tool to compare different teams from different conferences.

It's not perfect but it's the fairest metric. So my message to the committee is: use it for Christ's sake!

Reactions: carvers4math

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
:
The UConn board is completely up in arms as well- they say they got screwed as well- saying the same things as we are- but they say they got the best 2, 3, and 4 seed in the tournament…..

Much less worried about Iowa State than I am about the 2nd game against FAU. I just checked their damn schedule. Holy heck. They played some close games in losses against good teams/
From that thread. Someone is more worried about a team that had close losses to good teams vs a team who has 2 wins vs the best team. What?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I’ve watched a lot of Drake games and consider them my second favorite team. Drake cannot match the size of Iowa State. BRE, Ward, Watson, and King will dominate the interior.
That’s why they call them upsets. Not saying they will upset us, however that’s why they’re upsets.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Well I guess that's why Jamie said he didn't sleep and was sick to his stomach. Fugging 1200 bucks to see us hopefully not lose to drake. My family is super impressed. No offense to JP and all who put in the work, but What a waste of money.

Those pieces of **** on the committee better go to hades for sodomizing us like that against our will. Could of at least bought us all dinner first. Complete bs.

• Agree
Reactions: 1TwistedCyclone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’ve watched a lot of Drake games and consider them my second favorite team. Drake cannot match the size of Iowa State. BRE, Ward, Watson, and King will dominate the interior.

Unless it's called tight or something.

Devries is good and the first step will be to create foul trouble.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm probably wrong. But I say screw it and double down on our non conference scheduling in the future, and don't mess with our formula. Save the money on the buy in games, boost team confidence, continue to finish near the top in the big 12 and consistently make deep tourney runs.

Or, perhaps by playing UNI and Drake (and potentially some Dakota schools), we could actually boost revenues and non con SOS.

That’s the thing though. When comparing with other 2 seeds, the difference was quad 4 vs quad 3. It isn’t like other schools are out there playing top 25 teams every game. We just need to make a small step in competition. Maybe that means more costly buy games, and maybe that’s not worth it. But we should not be worrying about quad 3 teams in Hilton.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin and Cyientist

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Jamie's been on the committee for a while, right? Did he not understand how important the non-con would be prior to scheduling, or was it just a matter of being unable to schedule who we needed to improve the out-of-conference schedule?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron