*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'm wondering if it's a bias because Drake is an Iowa team, but it seems like everyone on CF is picking Drake to win their first game. I think Wazzu is going to absolutely steamroll Drake by double digits.
Wazzu really struggles to score at times. That's actually a really good matchup for Drake.

People here are more worried about Drake than other 10 seeds because of familiarity. They've seen Drake play and know they're good and that makes it harder to be rational.

Reactions: SolterraCyclone

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
That makes sense if the overall SOS is low, or if the conference is not strong, that provides a better picture to evaluate a team and put their SOS in context. But to ignore a high overall SOS, because you didn't choose to make it harder, is deciding that one metric is more important than the whole picture.

It's very obvious they are trying to set a precedent about not scheduling weak non-cons for NET purposes. And I don't think it so much about "gaming the NET" as it is about having a marketable product in November and early December. I think they know if everyone decides to play SWAC teams they have nothing to put on TV.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
I'm looking at ESPN Bet and they have UConn, Houston, Purdue, Arizona, UNC ahead of us. We are tied with Auburn at +1600
I'm looking on FanDuel and see UConn, Houston, Purdue, Arizona, UNC, Tennessee, Creighton (WTF?!), Auburn, and Marquette ahead of ISU. FanDuel has us at +2300.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm wondering if it's a bias because Drake is an Iowa team, but it seems like everyone on CF is picking Drake to win their first game. I think Wazzu is going to absolutely steamroll Drake by double digits.

The one thing Drake is going to have going for them will be fan support. All of those Creighton fans will be wearing their blue and cheering for the Dogs. As a 2 seed Iowa State didn't get the "home court" that a lot of people think we did... Creighton fans hold a lot of tickets so basically anything hitting the market is from Kansas fans selling off their passes.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Wazzu really struggles to score at times. That's actually a really good matchup for Drake.

People here are more worried about Drake than other 10 seeds because of familiarity. They've seen Drake play and know they're good and that makes it harder to be rational.
I’ve not been impressed with Wazzu the couple games I watched of theirs. And that includes one of their wins over Arizona.

I don’t know if Drake will be favored but I’ll take them moneyline and to cover if favored.

Edit: Drake is +1.5. I just dropped some coin

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Bump from last night but how is San Diego State a 5 but the rest of the MWC is in the 9-11 range with 2 play-in games? There's absolutely nothing about their resume that differentiates them from the other 5 MWC teams.

FAU and Michigan State were seeded way too high also.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
I'm interested to see how the refs call these games. Will they handicap the Big 12 teams for physical play? The line between foul and physicality is already thin, how much tighter will the calls be? The Big 12 style of play really opens them up to be subject to officials discretion.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm looking on FanDuel and see UConn, Houston, Purdue, Arizona, UNC, Tennessee, Creighton (WTF?!), Auburn, and Marquette ahead of ISU. FanDuel has us at +2300.

So now I'm curious. DK has us 8th at +2000 behind UConn, Houston, Purdue, Arizona, UNC, Auburn, Tennessee.

Bet MGM has us 8th at +1800 behind UConn, Houston, Purdue, Arizona, UNC, Tennessee and just behind Auburn.

So it looks like between the major ones we average out around 8th at somewhere around +1900.

hawksuck75

Mar 25, 2006
Chicago, IL
One thing I noticed this morning is our being in the East was mostly a geography problem this year. If Arizona is the 1 seed instead of UNC then were out West as we're the farest away from LA against UNC/Marq/Tennesse. Still disagree with having us at 8 overall but some of this is just location luck.

• Agree
Reactions: MeanDean

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
You know for as much as some fans are complaining about our seeding. You should check out the UConn fans, some of them are furious that we are in their region. They don’t want us in their region since we just pummeled 2 good teams.

Hopefully we carry a 2014 Kentucky attitude, where we make a run and just say, you shouldn’t under seeded us.

Oct 30, 2023
I'm interested to see how the refs call these games. Will they handicap the Big 12 teams for physical play? The line between foul and physicality is already thin, how much tighter will the calls be? The Big 12 style of play really opens them up to be subject to officials discretion.
Well, from my memory of the Big Ten's era of playing Battle Ball ...maybe? It seemed like it was an issue come March back then. But a lot of things seem to be an issue come march...

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
If he isn't seeing nightmares of Keshon Gilbert. In the 3 games against us this year, Cryer went 7-31 from the field, 4-19 from 3 and turned the ball over 8 times.
He hasn't played well against ISU the last 2 years. He was terrible against us last year when at Baylor as well.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Can someone please explain how Kentucky got a 3 seed?

All of their metrics put them squarely on a 5 line. They have a losing record against Q1. Their non con SOS is 205.

Make it make sense.

It’s okay to forget about everything that happened before February for Kentucky.