2024 NCAA Tournament Thread

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Just read an article about upsets in USA Today…picked ISU over Stanford.
And here is the other side of things. Though this is a MBB tidbit the Cyclone men are supposed to be easy to eliminate due to lower offense production. We'll see in both cases.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
And here is the other side of things. Though this is a MBB tidbit the Cyclone men are supposed to be easy to eliminate due to lower offense production. We'll see in both cases.
Lower offensive production as a reason requires the other offense to be productive.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Lower offensive production as a reason requires the other offense to be productive.

And also its not necessarily true, so long as we don't revert back to the slump we were in from after houston through the KSU loss.

From January 1 through the houston game our offense was playing like the 30th best offense in the country. Not elite, but more than good enough when paired with a top defense.

During that slump? 277th

After the Kansas State game?

Only a week so smaller sample size, but 16th.

We play our normal game we'll be fine.

Reactions: acoustimac

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This is my last post on the men in this thread.

I've seen at least three predictions of Iowa State men going down early!

One:

We asked ChatGPT to make a bracket for us. Here’s what it came up with — and why.​

• No. 15 seed South Dakota State over No. 2 seed Iowa State.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
3 of next year's Big 12 newcomers in the field.

Arizona (11) is in a play-in game Thursday night against Auburn. Winner gets Syracuse.

Utah (5) plays South Dakota State late Saturday night. Winner gets Gonzaga/UC Irvine.

Colorado (5) plays Drake Friday night in Manhattan. Winner gets K-State/Portland.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Maybe I should give Geno Auriemma more credit, he passed on Clark! Let me put it how I see it, accurate or not, he did not see her as a good fit with his program or its other stars (doubt he didn't see her potential and have a spot for her). There must be more to this story.

She is a great player but to blue-blood coaches a potential big disruptive distraction. I love the state of Iowa and love almost everything about the state with some exceptions. Regardless if she went to Iowa, if her demeanor were up to "honest Iowa nice" I'd be all in.

Caitlin Clark Reveals UConn's Recruitment Snub​

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
2023-24 ISU opponent Vanderbilt (and HC Shea Ralph) currently in a play-in game against 2022-23 ISU opponent Columbia. Game on ESPNU.

Winner gets Baylor on Friday.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Maybe I should give Geno Auriemma more credit, he passed on Clark! Let me put it how I see it, accurate or not, he did not see her as a good fit with his program or its other stars (doubt he didn't see her potential and have a spot for her). There must be more to this story.

She is a great player but to blue-blood coaches a potential big disruptive distraction. I love the state of Iowa and love almost everything about the state with some exceptions. Regardless if she went to Iowa, if her demeanor were up to "honest Iowa nice" I'd be all in.

Geno was all in for several years running recruiting Page Bueckers. Lord knows I heard about it all of the time since I live in the Hopkins school district (plus it is all Gopher fans talked about non-stop). You really can't go all in for the top two point guards and not end up almost recruiting against yourself. I think where Clark ended up was about perfect for her and where Bueckers ended up was perfect for her. There is a chance Buecker might have elevated the Gophers if she had stayed home but probably not to a Final Four or Big Ten title like happened at Iowa. Iowa post-Gustafson was in way better shape than the Gophers.

Reactions: undersized_post

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

main thing I dislike about Clark is her demeanor. Her whining. A friend who is a Hawk fan told me I’d accept it if she played for ISU. I told him it wouldn’t happen at ISU as Fen wouldn’t put up with it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
'Dores hold off Columbia, 72-68.

Columbia trailed by 10 with 4:00 left, but the late rally fell short.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Looks like Virginia Tech sat on the Elizabeth Kitley injury being an ACL until after they had secured their #4 seed and home court hosting. Sad news she is hurt but not a fan of schools deliberately withholding information so the committee can't consider it in full. As far as this for her individually I am guessing it puts her into the Stephanie Soares zone for being drafted this year and signing next year. Although maybe not, as she was forecast as much lower than Soares was drafted.

The #5 seeds possibly screwed by this are all current or future Big 12 teams: OK, CO, Baylor, Utah

Last edited:

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Geno was all in for several years running recruiting Page Bueckers. Lord knows I heard about it all of the time since I live in the Hopkins school district (plus it is all Gopher fans talked about non-stop). You really can't go all in for the top two point guards and not end up almost recruiting against yourself. I think where Clark ended up was about perfect for her and where Bueckers ended up was perfect for her. There is a chance Buecker might have elevated the Gophers if she had stayed home but probably not to a Final Four or Big Ten title like happened at Iowa. Iowa post-Gustafson was in way better shape than the Gophers.
The article within my post notes that it still eats at Clark, so it may be moot (moot meaning debatable) whether the girl landed where she wanted. Agreed, her best spot from what I've seen is Iowa.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
The article within my post notes that it still eats at Clark, so it may be moot (moot meaning debatable) whether the girl landed where she wanted. Agreed, her best spot from what I've seen is Iowa.
Agree. She is a giant among good players at Iowa. She'd be great among really good players and some other greats at UConn. She would be a difference maker for either.