Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

RollClones14

Sep 6, 2018
Jamie just needs to talk less. Credit to him, he's helped get our athletics to the point of much more national relevance compared to when he arrived. He no longer needs to be a PR tool anymore. Just be an elder statesman in larger A.D. circles who's proven that he's good at his job through his results in the accounting and growth departments.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Love Jamie but if this is true that really sucks of him. Can we not have these AD’s vote anymore. Clearly they don’t know what they are watching. Get former players or some other deal
Everybody thinks this until you have the typical dumb, biased "eyeball test" ex-coaches or players ignoring metrics "cuz they don't need some computer telling them what teams are good."

Get a committee of coaches, ADs or who the hell ever and decide:
- We're going to use SOR weighted at X%, KP weighted at Y%, NET weighted at Z%, whatever that is
- We're going to continue to put the guidelines and requirements for locating teams, matchups within conference-mates, etc.

Let somebody program the ******* thing and let it generate the results at the end of the season. This idea that "committees" are a good thing is so damn annoying. They spend all this time coming up with a process, weighting, metrics, etc. Then they want to use all those to ultimately see what the metrics tell them only to make a subjective decisions.

Committees of playoff and tournament selection are 100% a bad thing. There is literally no role for a committee once the metrics, weighting and other siting/matchup restrictions are decided other than to inject bias and change the results of their system when it doesn't churn out the outcome they want.

This whole Non-con strength of schedule bit is the dumbest thing ever. These f'ing morons on this committee do understand that there is a thing they showed called "Strength of Schedule" that includes both non-con AND conference SOS COMBINED?! It's amazing. Yet this dim bulbs ignored the fact that ISUs SOS was better than a lot of the teams that were credited for schedules due to NC.

So basically they weighted about 1/3 of the schedules far more than 2/3. And when you get down to it, most of the teams in consideration for top 4-5 seeds really all played at least 7-8 garbage buy games in non-con anyway. So really they took the top 5-6 non-con games and basically used that as a massive factor in shuffling teams and determining seeds.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The committee did a crappy job. Move on...the tournament has started,

It's not even about the tournament anymore. It's about our AD feeling the need to **** on our team's accomplishments. As the AD he should be up on his soapbox talking about how great of year we've had. But instead he's highlighting the only bad metric we have in an effort to demean your average fan who is upset about our seeding.

You wouldn't see this at other schools. Other ADs go out of their way to pump up their institutions, even in the face of facts. And we have a guy that goes on the radio and highlights the only bad part of our resume.

Can you imagine if Florida State's AD went on ESPN after they released the CFB Playoff and said "well, you know, the ACC was pretty bad this year so I totally get why we were left out." There's no way.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Jamie just needs to talk less. Credit to him, he's helped get our athletics to the point of much more national relevance compared to when he arrived. He no longer needs to be a PR tool anymore. Just be an elder statesman in larger A.D. circles who's proven that he's good at his job through his results in the accounting and growth departments.
I'd rather have him talk too much than not talk at all.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Everybody thinks this until you have the typical dumb, biased "eyeball test" ex-coaches or players ignoring metrics "cuz they don't need some computer telling them what teams are good."

- We're going to use SOR weighted at X%, KP weighted at Y%, NET weighted at Z%, whatever that is
- We're going to continue to put the guidelines and requirements for locating teams, matchups within conference-mates, etc.

Let somebody program the ******* thing and let it generate the results at the end of the season. This idea that "committees" are a good thing is so damn annoying. They spend all this time coming up with a process, weighting, metrics, etc. Then they want to use all those to ultimately see what the metrics tell them only to make a subjective decisions.

Committees of playoff and tournament selection are 100% a bad thing. There is literally no role for a committee once the metrics, weighting and other siting/matchup restrictions are decided other than to inject bias and change the results of their system when it doesn't churn out the outcome they want.

This whole Non-con strength of schedule bit is the dumbest thing ever. These f'ing morons on this committee do understand that there is a thing they showed called "Strength of Schedule" that includes both non-con AND conference SOS COMBINED?! It's amazing. Yet this dim bulbs ignored the fact that ISUs SOS was better than a lot of the teams that were credited for schedules due to NC.

So basically they weighted about 1/3 of the schedules far more than 2/3. And when you get down to it, most of the teams in consideration for top 4-5 seeds really all played at least 7-8 garbage buy games in non-con anyway. So really they took the top 5-6 non-con games and basically used that as a massive factor in shuffling teams and determining seeds.

It really needs to be outside of coaches and ADs.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Has he really done that much that is a product of his skill, or is it more him benefiting from the explosion in TV money from college sports?
Jesus Christ, look at peer institutions that are drowning in debt with pitiful fan support. The amount of $ going to the Cyclone Club has exploded since he got here

RollClones14

Sep 6, 2018
Has he really done that much that is a product of his skill, or is it more him benefiting from the explosion in TV money from college sports?
With so many athletic departments in the red across the country, I think he deserves credit for doing a lot with a smaller piece of the pie than a lot of departments/less large individual donors.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
It's not even about the tournament anymore. It's about our AD feeling the need to **** on our team's accomplishments. As the AD he should be up on his soapbox talking about how great of year we've had. But instead he's highlighting the only bad metric we have in an effort to demean your average fan who is upset about our seeding.

You wouldn't see this at other schools. Other ADs go out of their way to pump up their institutions, even in the face of facts. And we have a guy that goes on the radio and highlights the only bad part of our resume.
Yup. If only JP could have been in the room we would have been the first #2 seed!!! Lol.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

The Ironic part is they do the exact opposite in football. SEC schedules a bunch of cupcakes but we all understand that they have the best football conference. So we understand when Alabama is regarded very high even though they played Grand Canyon in a football game or some very very low level team. It's because they have a brutal conference schedule. For some reason it's ok in football when the SEC does it, but not ok in basketball when Iowa State does it. So it appears that it's ok for one thing and not the other.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Because Barta did so well at Iowa with all of that TV money.....

We were borderline ******* IRRELEVANT before Jamie. I'm sorry he won't sell you beer, but you clearly don't know a damn thing you're talking about.

• Winner
Reactions: Frak and isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Yup. If only JP could have been in the room we would have been the first #2 seed!!! Lol.

This has nothing to do with how he advocated for us within the committee. This has everything to do with him going on a radio show and disparaging our resume. At the end of the day it doesn't matter. The bracket is set and it is what it is. But it's clearly in response to the vocal ones on social media and JP having to feel like the smartest guy in the room. He is the AD at Iowa State, why in the world are you on the radio talking about how bad our NCSOS is?

What value could there possibly be to going on a radio show and blasting our resume 2 days before the tournament tips? It just wasn't necessary and it all goes back to his ego.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Exactly. It would have been so easy to just give a diplomatic answer. "The Committee has a tough job and I think they did their best to sort it out. I'd put us up against anyone in America right now but we've had ups and downs during the year they had to consider all of it."

How hard is that? But he lets his ego get in the way and wants to argue with social media.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Regardless of how he voted, that's just a stupid answer that tries to cover bothsideism. He is a great AD but between the thin skin and ill-timed remarks, he needs a PR advisor. That's not an answer you give as an AD, let alone at this timing.
The comment was a bit curious but I am skeptical about the comment. He may have done it simply to move the proceedings along (seeing he was outnumbered), he may have been a bit-less-than-truthful with how he says he voted just to maintain the perceived integrity of the committee, or maybe he did feel this way.

My opinion is that he obviously allowed a lower placement for ISU so that his beloved home state Wisconsin and Marquette teams could move up. Please don't make me insert a sarcasm pirate to this statement.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Because Barta did so well at Iowa with all of that TV money.....

We were borderline ******* IRRELEVANT before Jamie. I'm sorry he won't sell you beer, but you clearly don't know a damn thing you're talking about.
Calm down Clancy.

I do think he is good with the books. I just don't think he is some kind of AD messiah, most due to the times between when he starts and stops talking.

And you'll have to excuse me if I don't think 'better than Barta' is a super impressive campaign slogan....

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
This has nothing to do with how he advocated for us within the committee. This has everything to do with him going on a radio show and disparaging our resume.…
So JP’s job wasn’t to also defend our resume when submitting his card in the room?

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I think we as fanbase need to take a step away from the ledge here. We have one of the best AD's in the country and I think people need to remember that.

I'll make 3 points:
- As others have well stated, he has to be impartial when he's on the committee and doing his own rankings and I think he was when he rated us as #8 overall. If I were on the committee, I know I would rank my team 1 or 2 spots worse than what they deserve just to totally eliminate any appearance that I was inflating ISU

- I think it's important to parse Jamie's words carefully. Lots of people disagreeing with the scheduling. But, he said the goal was to help us get into the tourney. They didn't think they were that good. I don't think anyone thought we would be as good as we are! It's a big difference scheduling to get into the dance as opposed to scheduling tougher to get a good seed

- Let's be honest, if TJ and Jamie had scheduled harder and we had several losses in the non-con, all of cyclone nation would be mad cause they scheduled too hard and cost us a bid to the dance!!

I have no issue with the scheduling or what Jamie did.

Lets enjoy the best 4 days of the year and make a deep run!!

Last edited: