Jamie Pollard had us as the last 2 seed in his submission

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
Calm down Clancy.

I do think he is good with the books. I just don't think he is some kind of AD messiah, most due to the times between when he starts and stops talking.

And you'll have to excuse me if I don't think 'better than Barta' is a super impressive campaign slogan....
Would you rather have an AD that comes out and speaks like a CEO and blows smoke up our asses?

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Do you guys really think he is going to go on an interview and deviate from what the committee talking points are? Do you really think a committee member is going to go public and say "Yeah this committee really screwed up the seeding?"

No that is not going to happen and if you think it is you live in fantasy land. While some on the committee may not agree with the way things were seeded, they aren't going to publicly defy the committee. I mean that would be a great way to blacklist yourself among your fellow AD's.
It's pretty rare that I go back to my employees with a management committee decision that I disagree with and let them know that I disagreed with the decision. It's happened but it doesn't happen often. It's far more likely that I'll use whatever dumb-ass reason the committee came up with to justify their stupid idea.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I think we as fanbase need to take a step away from the ledge here. We have one of the best AD's in the country and I think people need to remember that.

I'll make 3 points:
- As others have well stated, he has to be impartial when he's on the committee and doing his own rankings and I think he was when he rated us as #8 overall. If I were on the committee, I know I would rank my team 1 or 2 spots worse than what they deserve just to totally eliminate any appearance that I was inflating ISU

- I think it's important to parse Jamie's words carefully. Lots of people disagreeing with the scheduling. But, he said the goal was to help us get into the tourney. They didn't think they were that good. I don't think anyone thought we would be as good as we are! It's a big difference scheduling to get into the dance as opposed to scheduling tougher to get good seed

- Let's be honest, if TJ and Jamie had scheduled harder and we had several losses in the non-con, all of cyclone nation would be mad cause they scheduled too hard and cost us a bid to the dance!!

I have no issue with the scheduling or what Jamie did.

Lets enjoy the best 4 days of the year and make a deep run!!
:puke::puke::puke:

• Puke
  • Agree
Reactions: Cyclad and nrg4isu

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
It's pretty rare that I go back to my employees with a management committee decision that I disagree with and let them know that I disagreed with the decision. It's happened but it doesn't happen often. It's far more likely that I'll use whatever dumb-ass reason the committee came up with to justify their stupid idea.
Who are the employees in our situation?

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Gosh we have a whiny fan base that feels privileged!!

Revel in the fact we went 27-7. Finished 2nd in the Big12 and won the Conference Tournament. One of the Cyclones greatest seasons EVER!

We are a 2 seed and playing in Omaha, a huge advantage in creating Hilton West. To advance to the Sweet 16 we have to beat SDSU and WSU or Drake. If we lose this weekend it isn't because Jamie didn't do his job. It will be because either we didn't play great or our opponent brought their A game. That happens in the NCAA Tournament because it includes ONLY the best teams.
You clearly don’t pay attention to a lot of the national basketball media or understand the bracket process.
If we were seed 2 numbers 1,2,3 we’d still get Omaha. If we were a 3 seed, we’d still get Omaha.
Jamie didn’t “do us a favor” getting us Omaha. Once we got to the 2-3 line, we were getting it regardless.
CBS sports College Basketball insiders & reporters, Gary Parrish & Matt Norlander literally made 3 podcasts & multiple television spots criticizing the committee.
Parrish called Iowa states seeding a “travesty”
Matt Norlander said, “you know, there’s an argument with UNC & ISU as the 1 seed, so I’m not upset about that. Iowa State is ABSOLUTELY should not be the last 2 seed.”

I could go on about the numerous other errors, but this is about ISU.

Reactions: Cyclad

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I think we as fanbase need to take a step away from the ledge here. We have one of the best AD's in the country and I think people need to remember that.

I'll make 3 points:
- As others have well stated, he has to be impartial when he's on the committee and doing his own rankings and I think he was when he rated us as #8 overall. If I were on the committee, I know I would rank my team 1 or 2 spots worse than what they deserve just to totally eliminate any appearance that I was inflating ISU

- I think it's important to parse Jamie's words carefully. Lots of people disagreeing with the scheduling. But, he said the goal was to help us get into the tourney. They didn't think they were that good. I don't think anyone thought we would be as good as we are! It's a big difference scheduling to get into the dance as opposed to scheduling tougher to get good seed

- Let's be honest, if TJ and Jamie had scheduled harder and we had several losses in the non-con, all of cyclone nation would be mad cause they scheduled too hard and cost us a bid to the dance!!

Being impartial does not mean you underate your team.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
You clearly don’t pay attention to a lot of the national basketball media or understand the bracket process.
If we were seed 2 numbers 1,2,3 we’d still get Omaha. If we were a 3 seed, we’d still get Omaha.
Jamie didn’t “do us a favor” getting us Omaha. Once we got to the 2-3 line, we were getting it regardless.
CBS sports College Basketball insiders & reporters, Gary Parrish & Matt Norlander literally made 3 podcasts & multiple television spots criticizing the committee.
Parrish called Iowa states seeding a “travesty”
Matt Norlander said, “you know, there’s an argument with UNC & ISU as the 1 seed, so I’m not upset about that. Iowa State is ABSOLUTELY should not be the last 2 seed.”

I could go on about the numerous other errors, but this is about ISU.
It's not that deep, buddy.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
JP can publicly support the committee's overall decision while also agreeing that the cards do not need to be unanimous.

Reactions: riceville98

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If my manager just constantly toed the company line about things that everyone objectively knew was stupid I'd just assume they were also stupid. The group of people that believe ISU was underseeded is not limited to only ISU fans.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Maybe just to save our sanity just think that Jamie meant a 2 vs. a 1. I think we deserved the 1. But I can see an argument to not give it us.

The last 2 is ********, but in the end it's still a 2.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I'll make 3 points:

You will never be on a committee so don't worry about it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Who are the employees in our situation?
My example isn't perfect. His comment was directed towards a large fanbase of the general public. Not towards a small group of dedicated, hard-working, well-trained, well-led people with a boss they know cares about them personally and professionally. In fact, he's dam near perfect.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
You haven't been paying attention if you think he knows anything about optics.
Optics? I hope our fan base is smart enough to see though BS.

I would rather have an AD who is truthful and acts for the right reasons than one who spins or is concerned about politics of his public statements. After 20+ years, I'm sure he knows there is a segment of our fan base who will never be happy with his decisions. But my guess is he is mature enough to live with his convictions.

• Agree
Reactions: jcisuclones

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
If my manager just constantly toed the company line about things that everyone objectively knew was stupid I'd just assume they were also stupid. The group of people that believe ISU was underseeded is not limited to only ISU fans.
I'm not disagreeing with you and I didn't get my job because I'm brilliant. I got my job because I'm so dam handsome.

• Haha
Reactions: isufbcurt

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron