Twister Sister Summary - Season closes in epic fashion

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Not impressed at all with her game. Even less impressed with her as a human. I think telling the ref F U shoes her class. How she doesn't get T'd up will forever be a mystery.
She is one of the "faces" of the game, so how dare we punish her for inappropriate behavior?

She should have gotten T'd up when she fouled out and when she approached Jesse Dickerson at one of the timeouts and had to have an assistant coach separate them.

Women's basketball officials have become so enamored with the "stars" of the game they can't see the forest through the trees.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Audi is going to get calls some nights and she will be almost unstoppable. Other nights, the refs are going to swallow their whistle due to her size. Last night I thought the Stanford girls were often less than vertical with their arms while defending Audi and could have been called for a lot more fouls, but that is not how the refs viewed things. As Audi develops I am sure she will find ways to overcome that situation. If we can keep these girls together and they continue to grow, watch out.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Dang, I hated writing that title. I'm not ready for this season to end. I've enjoyed it every step of the way. But here we are. I'm going to start with a couple of personal comments. I couldn't be more proud of this team! This absolutely amazing group of freshmen and upperclassmen showed no fear. Never gave up. Never backed down. They took blow after blow and just kept answering. They were going play for play with one of the top ten teams in the country. As I look back at this season I'm just kind of bursting inside with pride.

The first quarter saw Stanford break out to a quick lead with a sign of things that would happen all night. Iriafen drained a couple of early shots, but guess what. The ladies answered back. Our three point shooting throughout the night was just stellar. Belanger would drain one. Ryan would hit. All of a sudden the ladies not only caught up to Stanford, they actually created a 7 point lead. Throughout the rest of the quarter it was a battle to stay ahead, but the energy the ladies brought to the floor kept Stanford at bay. By the end of one ISU led the #2 seed 23-16. Our big hammer - the three - was being played hard here as the ladies went 6-8 from deep. Through the first, we outrebounded Stanford. We outshot Stanford. Our defense frustrated Stanford. This was a good start. What was also pretty clear was Crooks was having a rough start on the night facing the twin towers of Stanford.

As the second started, Stanford just kept creeping closer. ISU's offense just stalled out for a while as the Cardinal's height kept challenging the ladies. What became very clear was that one of our players in particular wasn't going to go away without the fight of her life - Emily Ryan. Em would do a bit of everything including dice the lane for layups. Just like Iriafen, she kept ISU in the middle of this game. You take those two players out and this would be an ugly mess on both sides. Crooks continued to struggle as every time she actually caught the ball it was tough to finish with the way she shoots the ball. Brinks would have two arms draped over her shoulders on every possession. The second quarter was another battle for points with Stanford outscoring State 15-10. The sisters shot an ugly 25% in this frame. Zero percent from three. Zero assists. It was a real struggle. But at the half the ladies still held the lead 33-31. More fireworks were to come.

The second half started with what we would see the rest of the game. It was a back and forth battle. Fouls were called. Brink would get her 4th foul early in the 3rd and go to the bench. Unfortunately, the Cardinal still had another giant to play defense (actually better defense) against Crooks and she continued to be frustrated. One critical piece that I felt really hurt us was free throws. Crooks missed two and a usually reliable Bristow missed a pair. In all we missed five of nine attempts in the quarter. What a difference those could have made. But again, Ryan was in the mix and doing everything in her power to keep ISU alive. Unfortunately, our other guards were struggling a bit more to get free. We weren't setting effective screens. But the never quit sisters were still going blow for blow with Stanford. At the end of three the score was dead even at 50 all.

So, the game (at least we thought) would come down to the last ten minutes. All knotted up each team started with Stanford missing on its first possession and ISU rebounding and scoring at the other end. But believe me, this one just went back and forth the entire ten minutes. Emily kept scoring. Brown would hit a trey. Crooks actually got into the act a bit, but she was hampered with four fouls. One of the real highlights was seeing Bristow come in and make a difference on both ends of the court. She made a very real impact. Back and forth, back and forth, with neither team building more than a possession lead. Both teams made six shots. Both teams made two treys. Both teams made two free throws. Both teams held the lead nearly the same number of minutes (only about 2 min apiece). One big event was when Brink fouled out. But, they still had enough size and depth to keep Crooks at bay. She never was able to start dominating in any fashion. At the end of regulation, Crooks would miss on our end and Iriafen would miss a jump shot on their end. Overtime tied at 66.

It was amazing to watch these two teams. No one seemed tired. The energy levels in OT were buzzing. No one backed down. Crooks would end up fouling out. The death knell of the game for ISU was the last two minutes. Emily had a couple of turnovers and one offensive foul (it was a beaut!) that resulted in three empty possessions. This gave Stanford the chance to take the lead and from that point on it was ISU battling to tie versus actually lead. The game was last tied at 78 after a pair of Ryan free throws. ISU would have one last lead after a beautiful Brown trey and it was 81-80. But Stanford answered back in about 10 seconds as Demetre would hit a deep ball of her own. ISU would never tie or lead again. The rest of the game were the two Ryan turnovers and multiple fouls on Cardinal players. They wouldn't miss at the line. The difference in the game was the Cardinal getting to the line and going 7-7. To make matters worse, Stanford hardly missed a shot in OT shooting over 80% for the period. The last gasp was when Brown took the inbounds with ISU down two and forced up a shot between two defenders. She slipped, lost control and that was pretty much it. After the clock hit zero Stanford would advance winning 87-81.

I'm not quite ready to think about the future. I want to sit back and soak in all the fantastical things we got to experience by riding on the wagon with this team. Who would have thought in October that this young team would (a) produce a freshman all American, a first team all big 12 post, (b) with 21 games, (c) finish 4th in the conference, (d) start conference play 6-0, (e) see the freshmen grow by leaps and bounds to improve practically every game, (f) make the finals of the Big 12 Tournament, (g) overcome a 20 point deficit to advance in the NCAA tournament and (h) never, ever quit. Never surrender. Never Give Up. Great season ladies. We have a lot to look forward to.
Crooks got dominated by far superior athletes. Luckily there aren't many teams (maybe not any) that have 2 players that can do that to her. Positive is she still battled and put a bunch of fouls on them. She really worked to get the ball (harder then we've seen all year). In the offseason she needs to learn how to take it to the chest of a shot blocker.

Bristow played with some fire much like the spark we saw v. Texas. She adds a little strength and friends we have the athletic 4 we need to pair with Audi.

Brown was the victim early of we're not going to call fouls on the perceived star so we'll call them on you. If she can add some explosiveness to her already well rounded game she's got a shot at being our next Cheryl Miller award winner.

Belanger, love the heart she plays with. Like Brown and Crooks she was more affected by their length then others. Her ball handling to attempt to get open was on par with Emily.

Finally Ryan, that was amazing. To me more so then Audi the other night. Why? Because she created it all herself. So grateful for the opportunity to see her one more year.

Final player I want to discuss is the redshirt Williams. Couple weeks ago I saw her described as a guard with a high BB IQ and elite shooting skills. If this is true pairing her with Brown on the wings makes next year's team conference title contenders.

And if she is a wing I hope Bill can find an aggressive forward in the portal that can play the 4/5 roles. While still having Jackson, Joens and an elite HS shooter coming in from he bench this is a team very capable of making a deep run tlnext year.

Last edited:

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Keep the freshmen intact
Find the next Belanger. Gosh, what a transfer.
Find someone to relieve Crooks - Natabou is still adjusting and I am not 100% confident that she can consistently provide a relief for Audi.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
She is one of the "faces" of the game, so how dare we punish her for inappropriate behavior?

She should have gotten T'd up when she fouled out and when she approached Jesse Dickerson at one of the timeouts and had to have an assistant coach separate them.

Women's basketball officials have become so enamored with the "stars" of the game they can't see the forest through the trees.
No proof of this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the directive of the NCAA and head of officials is to give the star players the star treatment as this is a critical moment with women’s basketball taking off in popularity. They want the best players with the biggest names out there so people keep tuning in. There’s zero chance CC would ever foul out in the tournament. She should basically mug whoever she is guarding because they aren’t going to foul her out.

Sorry, a little amped as I rewatched the final minutes and OT and it’s absolutely egregious Brink didn’t get T’d up not once but twice. The whole “officials” didn’t want to decide the game I get. They swallowed the whistle on both ends all night. BUT technical fouls are different. Brink turned right to that official and clearly says “F you” right to their face.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
No proof of this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the directive of the NCAA and head of officials is to give the star players the star treatment as this is a critical moment with women’s basketball taking off in popularity. They want the best players with the biggest names out there so people keep tuning in. There’s zero chance CC would ever foul out in the tournament. She should basically mug whoever she is guarding because they aren’t going to foul her out.

Sorry, a little amped as I rewatched the final minutes and OT and it’s absolutely egregious Brink didn’t get T’d up not once but twice. The whole “officials” didn’t want to decide the game I get. They swallowed the whistle on both ends all night. BUT technical fouls are different. Brink turned right to that official and clearly says “F you” right to their face.
That’s the paradox. Does the NCAA want one of the faces of the tournament and of WBB to be a meme saying "f you" after fouling out? That’s one that will stay with her in this tournament.

Reactions: jctisu

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Wow…that clip shows Brink mugging Audi and then trying to foul the next ISU player. As with many I wasn’t impressed with her last night.
She played the enforcer last night and the refs only called around 1 of every 3 of her muggings.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan1965

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Hand up, I don't watch a ton of women's basketball. But are technicals just never called? I mean that very honestly, because even Bill gets away with more than I think you see coaches in the men's game get away with.

Between Brink's whining, CC being in officials' faces, Reese's taunting, etc., I just have to wonder why they wont call technicals. All of those things would generate a "T" in the men's game. It's almost like the NCAA appreciates the "drama" involved in the women's game by allowing this stuff to slide.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
That’s the paradox. Does the NCAA want one of the faces of the tournament and of WBB to be a meme saying "f you" after fouling out? That’s one that will stay with her in this tournament.
I Couldn't believe she didn't get t'd when she ran to mid court to confront a ref during a TO after she's already found out. If they would of the game doesn't go to overtime.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Hand up, I don't watch a ton of women's basketball. But are technicals just never called? I mean that very honestly, because even Bill gets away with more than I think you see coaches in the men's game get away with.

Between Brink's whining, CC being in officials faces, Reese's taunting, etc., I just have to wonder why they wont call technicals. All of those things would generate a "T" in the men's game. It's almost like the NCAA appreciates the "drama" involved in the women's game by allowing this stuff to slide.
CC got one in the final last year for tossing the ball away. That's no longer a technical.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010

That one baffled me as well. Plus the play where Brink had her arms draped over her and then hit her arms as she went up for a shot with no call was horrible. Don't the women have the cylinder rule? Plus even if you get ball, if you get the arm as well it's a foul. Like Fennelly said, it was very physical, too physical in his opinion. They could've fouled out almost the entire team if they called all the fouls.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines

Between Brink's whining, CC being in officials faces, Reese's taunting, etc., I just have to wonder why they wont call technicals. All of those things would generate a "T" in the men's game. It's almost like the NCAA appreciates the "drama" involved in the women's game by allowing this stuff to slide.
Rarely are T's called.

IMHO, Bill has toned down his approach with the officials compared to when I started following WBB in 1998.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I’m sure I’ll use this in my season wrap up in a week or so. Earlier in the season, after the Iowa game, a sports writer said something to the effect of, "you’d better get them now, because they will be coming for you down the road."

As we turn the page it makes me smile thinking about being the hunter…

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
I’m sure I’ll use this in my season wrap up in a week or so. Earlier in the season, after the Iowa game, a sports writer said something to the effect of, "you’d better get them now, because they will be coming for you down the road."
Our favorite sports writer, Fran :D

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010
Audi is going to get calls some nights and she will be almost unstoppable. Other nights, the refs are going to swallow their whistle due to her size. Last night I thought the Stanford girls were often less than vertical with their arms while defending Audi and could have been called for a lot more fouls, but that is not how the refs viewed things. As Audi develops I am sure she will find ways to overcome that situation. If we can keep these girls together and they continue to grow, watch out.
I think last night will be a good lesson for Audi. You can't just turn and put the ball up with two hands against tall and athletic girls. Got to find a way to take the ball away from the defender. But agree that Audi wasn't getting any calls because of her size.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think last night will be a good lesson for Audi. You can't just turn and put the ball up with two hands against tall and athletic girls. Got to find a way to take the ball away from the defender. But agree that Audi wasn't getting any calls because of her size.

It should be motivation to work on a good countermove all off-season. She had a great year without really having a single post move. It's all turn over your left shoulder and put up a baby hook. If she can learn something going to the middle, it's over for defenders.

• Agree
Reactions: swclone11

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
It should be motivation to work on a good countermove all off-season. She had a great year without really having a single post move. It's all turn over your left shoulder and put up a baby hook. If she can learn something going to the middle, it's over for defenders.
She's an incredibly hard worker too. I won't be surprised to see a host of new moves come November.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Junejax

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
A special season and I grew to just love the players. They grind and grind and it's going to keep paying off as they move forward. Can't wait to see them reload next year.

Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Remember Bill's end-of-season statement: "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

Reactions: NWICY