Bridge Collapses in Baltimore

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
There was protection in place. There were harbor pilot(s) on board that can draw, by hand, the harbor with all the navigation buoys, hazards, underwater wrecks, prevailing current patterns, accurately. The ship lost power and a mayday went out. The DOT closed the bridge (else there would have been a lot more traffic). The ship, without power, dropped anchor to attempt to slow or stop. All sorts of protections were in place. In this instance the exact right combo to avoid a collision wasn't there, but it's not like the whole thing was thrown up without thought. Engineers can't predict the future any better than anyone else. What if an aircraft had hit the bridge instead? What if there was a catastrophic earthquake? A sharknado? A shartnado? Lots of things can go wrong, but not all can be predicted and designed for.

Shartnado be a ****** problem

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Really Rabbuk you don't have search engines or awareness? (I'm sure you actually know this.) There are a handful with higher debt to GDP, but way out there in debt.

United States$30.89 Mn
China$13.77 Mn
Japan$12.78 Mn
United Kingdom$3.14 Mn

One thing that hasn't been discussed is how the ship was able to radio out a distress call and they were able to stop traffic on the bridge. Saved a lot of lives. As far as I know the 6 pothole workers are the only known casualties. Haven't looked at the story for a few hours so maybe others have or will be found, but good work likely by the Harbor pilot on board and the authorities. Also was surprised the ship was only built in 2015, I thought it would be older with a power/propulsion failure.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
One thing that hasn't been discussed is how the ship was able to radio out a distress call and they were able to stop traffic on the bridge. Saved a lot of lives. As far as I know the 6 pothole workers are the only known casualties. Haven't looked at the story for a few hours so maybe others have or will be found, but good work likely by the Harbor pilot on board and the authorities. Also was surprised the ship was only built in 2015, I thought it would be older with a power/propulsion failure.

695 (FSK Bridge) in Baltimore is a Toll bridge. Fires on ships happen very often. (way more than anyone realizes) I assume that's what happened, and it's just not being reported yet.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
President Biden said our Country would pay the bill to rebuild the bridge. Why not talk to the owners, and the company that manages the ship?

Because even though they may be held liable eventually and have to repay the costs (if they are even able to without going bankrupt), that will take years and years to play out in court and this piece of critical infrastructure needs to be replaced as soon as possible.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Really Rabbuk you don't have search engines or awareness? (I'm sure you actually know this.) There are a handful with higher debt to GDP, but way out there in debt.

United States$30.89 Mn
China$13.77 Mn
Japan$12.78 Mn
United Kingdom$3.14 Mn

I mean that doesn't really prove we are over spending on infrastructure as a country. I assumed it was some stupid argument like this you were making.

Reactions: CyDude16

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
President Biden said our Country would pay the bill to rebuild the bridge. Why not talk to the owners, and the company that manages the ship?
Because Maritime Law usually protects them. Not always, but usually.

And the US collects billions in harbor maintenance fees on customs entries to pay for such things.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

And wait ten years for a court to decide? You build it immediately and try to recoup the funds later.

Will be an interesting case, foreign carrier and likely insured by a foreign group like Lloyds but this isn't in international waters. Hell, it's not even off shore territorial waters of the USA , it's on a river in one of our states.

Reactions: Havs and CyDude16

FLYINGCYCLONE

Aug 27, 2022
LuVerne Iowa
Because even though they may be held liable eventually and have to repay the costs (if they are even able to without going bankrupt), that will take years and years to play out in court and this piece of critical infrastructure needs to be replaced as soon as possible.
Seems to me a Rail Road company that had an ugly derailment is going to pay out a lot of money. So tell them to cough up. I understand fixing and building infrastructure in this country. If you or I cause a bad accident and 6 people die, we won’t get off Scott free.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Seems to me a Rail Road company that had an ugly derailment is going to pay out a lot of money. So tell them to cough up. I understand fixing and building infrastructure in this country. If you or I cause a bad accident and 6 people die, we won’t get off Scott free.

Again though, i'm sure efforts will be made to claw back money from them. With it being a foreign entity we will see what challenges there are to that.

But regardless that will be a civil case, and those take years. And even if that case is won, the entity that owns this ship may not have the billions of dollars it would need to pay this anyway (again, being subject to another country's laws could also make this part tricky). There's only one way the funding appears rapidly so that cleanup, design, and construction can begin right away, and that's with the government stepping in and putting up the funding.

I would guess similar would happen with a critical piece of railroad infrastructure as well, but it would be a lot easier to go after a railroad as well as it would be a domestic company.