ISU #1 Returning Production In Nation

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
In "way too early" previews I've seen most have ISU n the top 4 of their power rankings for this upcoming season... and looking at our schedule, the Utah and K-State games very well could decide whether we're in the Big 12 championship game - that's how soft our schedule is this year. Probably the reason why we're in the top 4 of power rankings.
CBS Sports had ISU 6th (OSU 4th). I think the top 6-7 teams are so close in talent level schedule and injuries will determine the two that make it to the championship game. My point was OSU is not and shouldn't be the overwhelming favorite.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
Considering how well ISU did in retaining guys, it certainly still applies as reason for optimism.

On the downside, I presume this is percent of the team's productivity, and there's no adjustment factor for wins or team productivity, etc.

Okie State returns something like 20 starters. I think they have to be the overwhelming favorite in the league.
Not sure. Ok State laid a couple eggs against UCF and Texas late in the year. Ollie Gordon seems to get injured every other play. Bowman is blah and throws as many INTs as TDs. Finally, Ok State had one of the easier Big 12 schedules last year.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
What is "production"? yards, tds, tackles, sacks, ?
Here are the weights, split out by offense and defense. They come from this article from February, which is behind the ESPN+ paywall.

Note that the weights aren't random or completely subjective, they are the weights that have best predicted in-season success in prior years.

Offense:
1715636680314.png
Defense:
1715636703483.png

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
This just isn't correct. The 2nd place B12 team will be left out for B10/SEC 3rd and sometimes 4th place teams. The B12 will only get 1 team in most years
I guess we shall see. But to say that simply isn’t correct is stupid considering we have no clue how this will play out. I still feel like 2 big 12 will get in most of the time. Stop crying that the sky is fallen when in reality, ISU now has a MUCH better chance to get into a CFP than ever before.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Good news for Iowa: They rank 9th in the nation in returning production.

Bad news for Iowa: Their offensive production ranked last in the nation.

• Haha
Reactions: StLouisClone

jdubs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 5, 2011
I guess we shall see. But to say that simply isn’t correct is stupid considering we have no clue how this will play out. I still feel like 2 big 12 will get in most of the time. Stop crying that the sky is fallen when in reality, ISU now has a MUCH better chance to get into a CFP than ever before.
I'm not crying the sky is falling and made no claim whether this is better or worse for ISU. I am saying more often than not the B12 will only get 1 team team in.

Going forward the P4 champs will auto qualify and the "best" G5 team will auto qualify. Logic dictates that for a second B12 team to qualify they must be ranked in the top 11 after losing the B12 championship game to the auto qualifier. That will be difficult given the bias that will be given to the B10/SEC. We just watched them screw undefeated blueblood FSU out of the playoff and you think a TCU or Utah coming off a loss is going to get the benefit of the doubt against a B10/SEC team?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They were 7-2 in conference. We were 6-3. Not that much different.
I think they were playing very well at the end of the Big 12 season. But I forget about the unbalanced schedule, so it might be a bit deceiving.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
This just isn't correct. The 2nd place B12 team will be left out for B10/SEC 3rd and sometimes 4th place teams. The B12 will only get 1 team in most years.
I just went back and looked at every final playoff rankings. Each year besides 2 the Big 12 would have had 2. Many future Big 12 teams also sprinkled in that would offset the loss of OuT.

2014: 5) Baylor 6) TCU
2015: 4) Oklahoma 11) TCU
2016: 7) Oklahoma 12) Oklahoma State
2017: 2) Oklahoma
2018: 4) Oklahoma
2019: 4) Oklahoma 7) Baylor
2020: 6) Oklahoma 10) Iowa State
2021: 7) Baylor 9) Oklahoma Stste
2022: 3) TCU 9) Kansas State
2023: 3) Texas 12) Oklahoma

Future Big 12
2014: 10) Arizona
2016: 10) Colorado
2017: 12) UCF
2018: 8) UCF
2019: 11) Utah
2020: 8) Cincinnati
2021: 4) Cincinnati 11) Utah
2022: 8) Utah

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This is such an overstated fact. With the portal proven production is readily available. Plus elite schools replace guys headed to the draft with guys that will be headed to the draft. Don't get me wrong, I love that we have so many guys returning but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be in the top tier of the conference. That's going to be determined by our Oline.

Reactions: TheCaptain

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
This just isn't correct. The 2nd place B12 team will be left out for B10/SEC 3rd and sometimes 4th place teams. The B12 will only get 1 team in most years.

Most people have Utah and KSU ahead of them. Maybe Arizona depending on how worried you are about their depth.
I believe if we have an undefeated team lose the CCG they'll still make a 12 team field and very likely host in the first round.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
I believe if we have an undefeated team lose the CCG they'll still make a 12 team field and very likely host in the first round.
I think that most years both CCG participants for the Big 12 are getting in especially if they both have 2 losses or less. A 3 loss team might be iffy but could still get in dependent on other conferences.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think that most years both CCG participants for the Big 12 are getting in especially if they both have 2 losses or less. A 3 loss team might be iffy but could still get in dependent on other conferences.
Unfortunately I think 3 loss P2 will get in over 2 Big XII.

BoomerClone

Oct 27, 2010
North Carolina
Unfortunately I think 3 loss P2 will get in over 2 Big XII.
I think it all depends on the year. The historical playoff rankings are a good indicator. A 3 loss ISU team was ranked 10th in 2020. I don’t think the playoff ranking committee will change how they set their rankings. But, I guess the big $$ might change things.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think it all depends on the year. The historical playoff rankings are a good indicator. A 3 loss ISU team was ranked 10th in 2020. I don’t think the playoff ranking committee will change how they set their rankings. But, I guess the big $$ might change things.
Talking head were in full beat down on the little guy ( us ) that year...but they lost to Louisiana. Money is the one factor that will always screw the have nots.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
This is such an overstated fact. With the portal proven production is readily available. Plus elite schools replace guys headed to the draft with guys that will be headed to the draft. Don't get me wrong, I love that we have so many guys returning but that doesn't necessarily mean we're going to be in the top tier of the conference. That's going to be determined by our Oline.
The portal doesn’t create team chemistry.

I don’t pay much attention to transfers, but I feel like CU’s infusion of production didn’t work out all that well for them. Can’t say about anyone else.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Disagree. Portal helps for a depth piece or two, maybe replace a guy or two. Continuity still matters a lot, having guys that know the system well and can execute, guys coming back bigger, stronger, older. Continuity is only directional though, its certainly no guarantee of success, but is is positively correlated.

I'd rather have 70% returning and a couple transfers than 40% returning and bringing in 8 new starters from the portal.

Portal is like tequila- a little can be a lot of fun, but too much and you end up barfing in an alley behind the adult bookstore.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Disagree. Portal helps for a depth piece or two, maybe replace a guy or two. Continuity still matters a lot, having guys that know the system well and can execute, guys coming back bigger, stronger, older. Continuity is only directional though, its certainly no guarantee of success, but is is positively correlated.

I'd rather have 70% returning and a couple transfers than 40% returning and bringing in 8 new starters from the portal.

Portal is like tequila- a little can be a lot of fun, but too much and you end up barfing in an alley behind the adult bookstore.
Here's my point how much does Michigan have returning? Who has a better shot at the playoffs?

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I know PFF's credibility is rather sketchy anymore, but this doesn't look bad:

Do they even realize that Eli green was playing in the FCS last year and is not technically a returning p4 player?