Illinois matchup

Mar 26, 2024
I agree with this - I think our best bet is to force Shannon to be a passer - he's 4th on their team in terms of assist rate. It will be more difficult when they have 5 shooters on the floor together, but if Rodgers or Dainja is out there then we need to collapse to the lane and make Shannon pick the right pass. If we're on our game, we'll pick off as many of those as he gets to an open player. Of course that's easier said than done.

Actually, I think we could have lived with the 3s, they didn't make THAT many it was the constant parade of layups from back door cuts that killed us in that game. I feel like we overcompensated for their shooting - we did much better in Ames, of course. As I mentioned up thread a ways, Hawkins has a similar skill set to Khalifa from BYU, if they run a small line-up (no Rodgers or Dainja, neither of whom have attempted a 3) they can run a "5-out" set with Hawkins at the top, and try to get ISOs for Shannon out of that. If Hawkins pulls BRE/Ward from the lane, it will be much harder to help with Shannon's drives too.
this is really good imho.

Reactions: Jer and RezClone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
This always goes the same way when other fans try to visit before a big game. Everyone's nicey nice for a while, then there's some perceived slights, then the chests starting getting puffed out and the smack talking starts. The "false allegations" claim is the beginning of the end here. Think it's going to ugly with that one.

Mar 26, 2024
Oh boy. I am sorry if I spoke out of turn regarding the "false" allegations.

Now, in response to your earlier statement about ISU not having seen a player like TSJ before-thats incorrect. They have seen a player like him before, in fact, they have seen HIM several times because his career started at TTU. In case you were curious on his stats, I will list them here for your viewing pleasure.

2019-11 pts
2020-7 pts
2021-11 pts
2021-12 pts
2022-4 pts
2022 conference tourney-15

Now, for reference, we dont have to count anything before 2021 if you dont want too, because that was before the current coach was here, and iowa state only won like 2 games in 2020, so the collective 18 points he put up on that really bad ISU team probably doesnt matter. However, again for conversations sake, in 6 career games against ISU, he's had 16 turnovers. 60 total points and 16 turnovers. I am not smart with math, so hopefully you can help me figure out that ratio.

I have no idea who wins this game, but the notion that TSJ is going to just go off tomorrow night and be this absolute hero i believe to be the real falsity in this conversation
TSJ has been playing at his best level by a wide margin as of late. Why? Only he knows. I do wonder if it is his last go before the NBA and shutting out the distractions and taking an us vs the world mentality. TSJ of last year at Illinois is nothing like what we are seeing now.

However, how will he do vs and incredibly good D like ISU? IDK. This is an absolutely fascinating matchup. Much respect to ISU. I LOVE good d.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
This is what I'm a little concerned about; Underwood could have those guys playing decent defense for one game. Similar to Wazzu, their length/athleticism alone will give us some problems.
I think defense is in your DNA and not something you can turn on for 1 game.
Ilini are good but the ONLY thing that concerns me is whistle happy refs calling phantom & ticky tack fouls
ISU 74-UI 68

Mar 26, 2024
This always goes the same way when other fans try to visit before a big game. Everyone's nicey nice for a while, then there's some perceived slights, then the chests starting getting puffed out and the smack talking starts. The "false allegations" claim is the beginning of the end here. Think it's going to ugly with that one.
not from me. I am too old and experienced for that. I just block or mute the nonsense. Don't know about this other Illinois fan though. Plus, behind keyboards, man....people act like damn fools. It is shocking to me.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Yup. Hence my "so it begins lol"

• Agree
Reactions: NorthCyd

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Some more from CWilly on the matchup. From their comments, Illinois seems to be more focused on turnovers than their fans are, lol

The football analogy is good - and "we need to be decisive in our decisions" is excellent meaningless coach speak

Mar 26, 2024
Ilini are good but the ONLY thing that concerns me is whistle happy refs calling phantom & ticky tack fouls
ISU 74-UI 68
man...i hear the logic. but they were decent at D last year and were decent at the start of the year. There is a weird switch they have turned on for runs lately... but nothing sustained. All I am saying is their D is not good and NOTHING like ISU but...it is actually a bit better recently in spurts when needed then the general numbers suggest. Just my watching them closely opinion of course.

TSJ draws a crap ton of fouls...

illinifan2023

Mar 23, 2024
Oh boy. I am sorry if I spoke out of turn regarding the "false" allegations.

Now, in response to your earlier statement about ISU not having seen a player like TSJ before-thats incorrect. They have seen a player like him before, in fact, they have seen HIM several times because his career started at TTU. In case you were curious on his stats, I will list them here for your viewing pleasure.

2019-11 pts
2020-7 pts
2021-11 pts
2021-12 pts
2022-4 pts
2022 conference tourney-15

Now, for reference, we dont have to count anything before 2021 if you dont want too, because that was before the current coach was here, and iowa state only won like 2 games in 2020, so the collective 18 points he put up on that really bad ISU team probably doesnt matter. However, again for conversations sake, in 6 career games against ISU, he's had 16 turnovers. 60 total points and 16 turnovers. I am not smart with math, so hopefully you can help me figure out that ratio.

I have no idea who wins this game, but the notion that TSJ is going to just go off tomorrow night and be this absolute hero i believe to be the real falsity in this conversation
You’re comparing 2022 TSJ to 2024 TSJ? Interesting. Look up a picture of the two side by side and then get back to me. His game has completely changed since then. Averaging over double the points… I don’t think it’s fair to use those past games as a point of reference at all. That’s like comparing Shayok’s stats at UVA to what he did at Iowa State.

Reactions: GlenviewIllini

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
You’re comparing 2022 TSJ to 2024 TSJ? Interesting. Look up a picture of the two side by side and then get back to me. His game has completely changed since then. Averaging over double the points… I don’t think it’s fair to use those past games as a point of reference at all. That’s like comparing Shayok’s stats at UVA to what he did at Iowa State.
I'm comparing him lifetime against ISU. No doubt that he is better than he was then. Im not arguing that at all. But my statement was, ISU has done a pretty decent job of limiting him when they play

Mar 26, 2024
Some more from CWilly on the matchup. From their comments, Illinois seems to be more focused on turnovers than their fans are, lol

The football analogy is good - and "we need to be decisive in our decisions" is excellent meaningless coach speak

the decisive decisions i think is actually spot on. Domask HAS to move the ball really quickly to the opposite side open shooter. Vs teams like ISU you cannot catch the ball and look around. You have to MOVE IT QUICK.... otherwise, the d adjusts and it is too late.

Mar 26, 2024
I'm comparing him lifetime against ISU. No doubt that he is better than he was then. Im not arguing that at all. But my statement was, ISU has done a pretty decent job of limiting him when they play
yeah, but it has really very little relevance to the whole issue and his point imho. Look at TSJ vs anyone last year and now...night and day and often vs the same teams.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is a good point and something our defense doesn't always limit. There often seems to be a 5 minute stretch - usually in the second half - where the game bogs down to a FT shooting fest and it seems like we can't do anything on defense without getting called. When that happens, we need to be quick to break out of it, and make sure that we are forcing the issue on the other end too.

I also think this is the kind of game where Gilbert or BRE get two quick fouls and it makes the rest of the first half really hard.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
T
ISU 74-UI 68
This was my thought I had typed out but never hit enter a bit ago. I had seen on youtube comments someone point out how Illinois has started playing better defense and they'll be locked to play 40 minutes. Ehhh, I disagree with that. Sure, they can play a little better defense, but to be locked in 40 minutes balls to the wall is a mentality that ISU possesses. You can't just flip a switch and them be all worldly all of a sudden.

Yeah, I hope refs do not dictate the outcome of this game. We have depth, but Lipsey and Gilbert can't get in foul trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: wgleason

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
No, id bet Keshon Gilbert will initially. Possibly Tamin. If I know TJ, he's thinking the very same thing doing his curls as we speak.

EDIT: But yeah, like @Big_Sill said, it will be very much a team thing, ISO ball or not. We don't change what we do under any circumstance. Now you make think that makes it impossible to guard Illinois, but I disagree and our staff probably wants BU and his staff to think that way. If BU is half as good of a coach as I think he is, he's probably expecting to have to have a plan B ready to go, too.
I would bet this as well - Gilbert on Shannon.

From a pure basketball fandom, this game is really fascinating from a matchup perspective, just because of the weird matchups that Illinois creates. Shannon, Hawkins and Domask are all very unconventional players that create matchup problems.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
man...i hear the logic. but they were decent at D last year and were decent at the start of the year. There is a weird switch they have turned on for runs lately... but nothing sustained. All I am saying is their D is not good and NOTHING like ISU but...it is actually a bit better recently in spurts when needed then the general numbers suggest. Just my watching them closely opinion of course.

The refs are a big key. We are not ones to shy away from contact to avoid picking up fouls. We are deeper than most and can't afford to compromise on what we do. I will say we generally get away with it a lot.

Our coach doesn't argue calls and he doesn't allow our players to either. He doesn't think it works, first of all. Secondly, he's an ISU lifer through and through and thinks it's a bad look for our beloved University. Im talking ZERO tolerance. 3rd, he probably thinks it buys him calls which he can't admit publicly, obviously.

He's like the only Big 12 coach that didn't get a technical. Depending on the crew, the refs often appreciate it and give us the benefit of the doubt, though they can't admit it obviously. Look for that tomorrow.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Reminds me of the Iowa guard (maybe Dix) basically intentionally grounding a pass out of bounds in the game this year.