Illinois matchup

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
you WILL be turning it over 17 times, so that... Rutgers... example you gave will have to hold up against ISU for sure. You can go ahead and pencil that in and throw away the eraser.
Why so certain? 19 out of 36 games Iowa St's opponent has turned it over less than 17 times, including the last 4.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
TSJ has been playing at his best level by a wide margin as of late. Why? Only he knows. I do wonder if it is his last go before the NBA and shutting out the distractions and taking an us vs the world mentality. TSJ of last year at Illinois is nothing like what we are seeing now.

However, how will he do vs and incredibly good D like ISU? IDK. This is an absolutely fascinating matchup. Much respect to ISU. I LOVE good d.
I respect your posts. I hope you are a frequent visitor on this site well after the game is over

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Why so certain? 19 out of 36 games Iowa St's opponent has turned it over less than 17 times, including the last 4.
Because he said 10-12. Because TJ with elevated stakes and 5 days. Because they don't have a point guard.

But realistically, no, its not an unreasonable question I admit. I don't have a concrete irrefutable reason. Just faith.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Because he said 10-12. Because TJ with elevated stakes and 5 days. Because they don't have a point guard.

But realistically, no, its not an unreasonable question I admit. I don't have a concrete irrefutable reason. Just faith.
Fair. I just think as you get into the tournament, and especially the sweet 16, the teams are better, and the coaches are better, so the chances of getting those 18+ turnover games are less. There's not any Tang's or Cincinnati's left. Plus if Iowa St is to really slow the pace, then there's likely less total possessions to turn it over.
You're right though about the advantage of extra prep time for TJ and staff, and just the unfamiliarity of the Iowa St style.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Pulling for Arizona. They are due and work with a lot of UA alums and they are good people who are excited about joining the Big 12. Creighton due regionality and family ties. Houston due to the Big 12. If we can’t get out of the East it might as well be UConn.

Any of the ACC + Purdue can go lose by 30 for all I care. Not due to the Net comments, I'm just sick of the ACC fans complaining why they didn’t get more teams in. Purdue because they are soooooo brutal to watch.
I do business with Arizona fans. I agree, they are good fans, humble even.

Mar 26, 2024
Here is another distraction post as we all wait 745 more hours for the game...

With NIL and the portal.... here is a refreshing statement from a Freshman Hoops player (disregard the Illinois part, it is only cuz I follow them that I saw this):

------------------------
Illinois freshman guard Dra Gibbs-Lawhorn from today's open locker room in TD Garden in Boston:

“When it comes to the portal, it’s not even about one thing or another. It’s about the whole program. No thanks, I'm good. I’ve built relationships with the coaches. I built my own ground underneath my feet here at Illinois. After I built all of that, for me to get up and leave Illinois would be not only disrespectful to the program but I’d also be disrespecting myself and the work I’ve put in here at this place. Why would I do all this work to get where I am now knowing I have so much more to go to just leave that all behind and start again from scratch? It doesn’t make sense to me. No, I’m not entering the portal.”
-------------------------

PS, now watch, he transfers! JK...kind of

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
Which one? Link?
Illini Inquirer. I believe it’s 247 sports. They are actually pretty good and one of the two guys is a pretty good analyst as far as podcasts go. He broke down in detail what TJ does on defense and what he thought Illini would do.
EDIT: They said that one of the things that makes Iowa State’s defense so effective is there is no rhyme or reason of what they are doing and you can’t predict when a guy all of the sudden comes out of nowhere.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Fair. I just think as you get into the tournament, and especially the sweet 16, the teams are better, and the coaches are better, so the chances of getting those 18+ turnover games are less. There's not any Tang's or Cincinnati's left. Plus if Iowa St is to really slow the pace, then there's likely less total possessions to turn it over.
You're right though about the advantage of extra prep time for TJ and staff, and just the unfamiliarity of the Iowa St style.

Not sure what the number will be but turning them over above their average could be the key.

Mar 26, 2024
Other interesting things....as I leave for work...

There has been no higher rated offense in college hoops than illinois (126.7) since Villanova in 2018 (127.8).
However, Villanova had a great D too unlike Illinois.

In that same timeframe, there have been 13 equal or better defenses that ISU (87.5).
However, ISU has a decent O in relation to the bad D Illinois has.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
I can’t listen to anymore national or local podcasts regarding this game. Every single one of them brings up the tip time like it’s the first year this is happening. Does everyone have the memory of a goldfish? It’s been like this since at least 2012. Sorry I know this has been discussed and it is late but it’s driving me insane for some reason that everyone seems to think this is new.

Rant over.

Aug 20, 2012
Some more from CWilly on the matchup. From their comments, Illinois seems to be more focused on turnovers than their fans are, lol

The football analogy is good - and "we need to be decisive in our decisions" is excellent meaningless coach speak

What is left unsaid here is that you don’t just luck into it. You must decide to be decisive in your decisions.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
All I said was so it begins. Don't lump me into this lol. We're like 34 pages in and nobody has even said anything. CF has actually shown historical levels of restraint on the subject, I assure you.

I, for one, would prefer to keep it that way. Our play will get under your skin plenty well enough by itself, and I look forward to that and that alone.
Domask, don't tell.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Good luck with the "booty ball" garbage against Lipsey. He is one of four finalists for Naismith Defensive Player of Year award for a reason. Some of the quickest feet I have ever seen. Even quicker hands. Toughness off the charts.

Much like not throwing at an elite corner in football, you probably dont want to isolate against Lipsey on the offensive end of the floor. He is going to create turnovers and runouts.

If your gameplan is to initiate the offense against and post up Lipsey you are going to have a long night.