J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I watched him as well and he can dominate games. He can also go unnoticed. He is extremely good most of the times but can be silent other times. Who did you see him play against?
Drake, he didn't look like anything special. I was much more impressed with Dia on their team, I figured he could be a high major player.

Reactions: Drew0311

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I get it, but so far, he only has 3 visits scheduled. VCU, Virginia and Iowa State. I doubt VCU can out-bid us. Maybe Virginia can, but who would want to play for that team right now? They are a mess.

We’ll see, I suppose.
You just never know what a player is looking for. Are they okay playing for a bubble team (UVa) if they can play 35 minutes a game? Or would they prefer playing ~20 minutes a game for a Top 10 team?

I know the focus is $$$ these days, but I still think there's a lot more that goes into that decision - and in the portal they have to make it SO fast, especially compared to HS recruiting. It's gotta be hell on those players to try to figure out who is telling the truth, where they will fit best, etc in basically no time at all

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
Being from St Mary’s he could even have academic aspirations.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Who knows, maybe he didn't think he was chasing a bag until offers came through he wasn't expecting. Everybody has a price, including most of the guys on our roster.
Not true, Hunter will never leave us.

200w.gif

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I saw Cade Tyson play for Belmont in person this year. There's no way he's the 3rd best SF in the portal. I'd be extremely cautious of any of these rankings.
His shooting alone probably puts him pretty high on the list. 6'7 and shoots 46% from 3. Yeah, kid is highly coveted. I have heard he is bound for UNC.

• Informative
Reactions: NoCreativity

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
His shooting alone probably puts him pretty high on the list. 6'7 and shoots 46% from 3. Yeah, kid is highly coveted. I have heard he is bound for UNC.
Kid can absolutely play.

He's a North Carolina kid and that's been the strong thought since he entered.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Because I don’t know how Torvik works, would this be under the assumption we role out similar rotation roles next year?

What I mean by this is, while I get TJ doesn’t go by numbers, Milan was mostly a 3 this year. With Hadley, you likely see Milan get more minutes in a 4-like role so you have Lipsey/Gilbert/Jones/Hadley/Heise rotating 3 positions. If it assumes Milan is more of a 3 role as he was this year, you’d be splitting those 5 guys up between 2 positions, thus making Hadley less valuable
Torvik has Hadley listed as a Wing Guard for last year. But was PF/C in 2023. And was a Wing Forward role in 2021 when he was with Northeastern. Obviously he's a hard one to nail down in a specific role and is very versatile. That's part of what makes him a great target.

For reference Milan was categorized as a Wing Forward last year.

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Where is everyone seeing Hadley as a top ten portal guy. I see people keep saying that but I don't see him listed anywhere in the top ten for Transfers.
He is an advanced metrics darling

#8 best transfer according to Torvik at least

Other players in the B12 with a 4.3 PRPG! rating are Hunter Dickinson, Max Abmas, and Jamal Shead.

That metric is kind of an overall efficiency rating, called points over replacement per game. It's roughly estimating how many points (+ or -) a player is worth over a hypothetical replacement player.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Drake, he didn't look like anything special. I was much more impressed with Dia on their team, I figured he could be a high major player.

When I watched him against Samford I immediatly knew he should have been a higher level player. Guess he must not have had his "A" game against Drake.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
If Hadley wants more money I don't blame him. Doesn't sound though that he is fitting the culture of wanting to actually be at Iowa State.
I think that playing time and role could be a factor as well. If he's looking to be a for sure day one starter and have a feature role (along with a significant dollar figure), this might not be the lineup for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Nelcyn and Ankency

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
No, they were role players alongside transfers. Roles easily filled by transfers if needed, and in Lipsey’s case, only available because of an injury to transfer and AJ Green deciding late to go pro
This sentence right here should get you a CF vacation. This is the dumbest thing I have ever seen on the internet

not-the-manager

Mar 1, 2023
He is an advanced metrics darling

#8 best transfer according to Torvik at least

Other players in the B12 with a 4.3 PRPG! rating are Hunter Dickinson, Max Abmas, and Jamal Shead.

That metric is kind of an overall efficiency rating, called points over replacement per game. It's roughly estimating how many points (+ or -) a player is worth over a hypothetical replacement player.
I'm pro-analytics, and it would've been great to get Hadley. But those comps. played a lot of minutes per game, and, as far as Shead and Abmas, it was their efficiency plus their skill/wow factor/clutch/... that made them stars and not just valuable pieces. Hadley was not going to play a ton of minutes per game, and to my knowledge has not yet exhibited an iso-late-in-the-shot-clock scoring ability. I think his value to Iowa State would've been long-term, helping their team defense and raising their offensive floor, as plotted over the course of the season. That would've been great.

But the staff wasn't looking for "the guy," and he probably wasn't going to be that. I'm choosing to look at it like this--is We Will uncompetitively poor, or are they never going to be able to afford a high-skill, high-efficiency starting five (or more)? If the latter, I can live with that. If there's only money for one (keeping a core that has proven it can win, has been in the program, and wants to stay there) or the other (adding highly efficient but new P5 pieces), I'll take the core any day of the week.

• Agree
Reactions: WhatchaGonnaDo

clone37

Oct 9, 2010
So when do college football and basketball completely break away from academics, and eligibility, etc are no longer a thing and it's just a complete semi-pro league? That's probably coming sooner than we think especially with these power conferences forming. Seasons, tourneys, etc will then get extended to create even more revenue. We are starting to see that with high school sports. High school sports still exist, but are starting to pale in comparison to these regional/national club leagues which are slowly becoming revenue generators as well.

• Agree
Reactions: mark82 and Ellie1

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
He should probably license We Will THC products. It'll make it easier to get through that 4-5 minute scoring drought early in every game.
FWIW hokeye radio network runs a lot of cannabis ads. I'll let CF what this means bigger picture, but it's a little jarring to hear dolph and podalek pushing the sticky icky.

I have a hard time picturing the same from Walters and Heft.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
FWIW hokeye radio network runs a lot of cannabis ads. I'll let CF what this means bigger picture, but it's a little jarring to hear dolph and podalek pushing the sticky icky.

I have a hard time picturing the same from Walters and Heft.
I can hear Dolph right now: "Tired of watching this 1940s offense? Get stoned out of your gord with Hawkeye sticky-icky, ooo-wee"

Help Support Us

Become a patron