2024 Transfer Portal Tracker (Wrestling)

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
And Ayala was the one shopping around last offseason, not the coaches reaching out to him.
This is the way I understand it. It doesn't make any difference anymore. Michigan is not going to get in trouble for reaching out to non portal guys or anyone else by the NCAA. Getting to the point that I don't care. Coaches will need to make the Iowa State experience fun and have success and make money not be the wrestlers top priority. And I think they are doing that.

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Might be sour grapes, might not be.

Yes everyone here would absolutely take AA’s at weights of need if they wanted to come here. It’s also probably a lot easier to develop guys who have already proven to be AA caliber (your comment to the guys finishing above where they had before, only applies to 2 of the 5 by the way).

I also think if we were plugging transfers in at the same 5 weights as the year before some would question HS recruiting. That’s not a shot at Michigan, but they are showing where their priorities are.

Just my message board opinion.
3 of 5 absolutely did better than last year. Griffith under much tougher circumstances. Forgot DeAugustino, he did the same as last year. Cannon wasn’t in lineup so I didn’t count.
Opinions are fine, mine is opinion as well. The “bad take” is the stone throwing and lack of objectivity.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
3 of 5 absolutely did better than last year. Griffith under much tougher circumstances. Forgot DeAugustino, he did the same as last year. Cannon wasn’t in lineup so I didn’t count.
Opinions are fine, mine is opinion as well. The “bad take” is the stone throwing and lack of objectivity.
To say some improved or didn’t by an NCAA placing is subjective unless you look at how the brackets played out and health of the wrestler & the ones they wrestled. Margins & luck are small between 4th & Round of 12

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I’ll give you 149 and 285. Griffith is a past national champ and runner up.

They have the $$ to plug in transfers and appear to be going that route instead of pursuing more high level HS recruits.

I guess it can both be stone throwing and true, no?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Did Feldkamp regress at Iowa State? I think he was scouted this year. Never knew anything about him last year. And he wasn’t 100% this year, not sure on last year

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Did Feldkamp regress at Iowa State? I think he was scouted this year. Never knew anything about him last year. And he wasn’t 100% this year, not sure on last year
Tough to say. That month he was out hurt ncaa seeding for sure, but I’d say his performance to seed was about what most expected?

Getting scouted at a high level with his style was going to make it tough especially against a few of the tough 84’s in the conference.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
To say some improved or didn’t by an NCAA placing is subjective unless you look at how the brackets played out and health of the wrestler & the ones they wrestled. Margins & luck are small between 4th & Round of 12
Exactly, which is why saying these guys are “proven commodities” over anyone else is not accurate. Anybody on our staff or in the room knows that AE, YB and Chittum were every bit as capable as any Michigan transfer BEFORE they got here. We were trying to get Gomez back, too, so shouldn’t be casting stones. Not going to badmouth Feldkamp. I accurately predicted the scouting of his moves. Not surprising.
Margins are slim everywhere at this level.

Last edited:

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
It was serious. His family was not happy how Iowa handled the Spencer situation and they’re not happy now with how they are handling the Ferrari situation.

I remember the mom going off on I think FB about Spencer after he pinned Drake at Soldier Salute, and would not be surprised if they also don’t like the Ferrari sitch. But apparently not upset enough for parents to sway younger bro Dru from committing to Iowa. I’d be shocked if Drake leaves Iowa after Dru committed (has he signed? Would he be on scholarship of any %? Doesn’t have the resume Drake did coming out of HS). If he hasn’t signed I guess it wouldn’t be too wild since he committed before the Ferrari blowup at Soldier Salute and the commitment could change.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I remember the mom going off on I think FB about Spencer after he pinned Drake at Soldier Salute, and would not be surprised if they also don’t like the Ferrari sitch. But apparently not upset enough for parents to sway younger bro Dru from committing to Iowa. I’d be shocked if Drake leaves Iowa after Dru committed (has he signed? Would he be on scholarship of any %? Doesn’t have the resume Drake did coming out of HS). If he hasn’t signed I guess it wouldn’t be too wild since he committed before the Ferrari blowup at Soldier Salute and the commitment could change.
Okay, I didn't think of the Dru angle. I know cullen Schriever was a big want for Iowa but you had to take his bro if you got him. So, Colby went there for a year, maybe two, and then transferred. Guessing to see mat time. Maybe the angling to get Dru in was what he was doing. Having been around the family when they were younger, they are definitely Iowa fans, so I think it would have been hard for him to leave.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Drake is the next in line of being the poster child for the program until the next shiny toy comes along and is thrown to the side like all the others (metcalf, ramos, gilman, etc)

Reactions: crooksie_26

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Perfectly solid one-year stop gap. Be nice if he's got a jump he can make in a much more competitve room. Good add!
When he lets loose, he has some good stuff. He's pretty slick and an NCAA qualifier with potential. Get the staff to get his mindset from winning to dominating and going for majors, and he could jump a level. Also has to help training with Yonger/Tate/Carr vs what was in the Utah Valley room