Worst city in Iowa?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Trying not to derail the thread - but if someone I know is planning to visit Yosemite and King's Canyon this year, I should tell them to avoid staying in Fresno? Maybe get a nice airbnb in one of the smaller towns?
If you're going to Yosemite, stay in Mariposa or Oakhurst. Smaller towns but much nicer. Picturesque as well

Reactions: mapnerd

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Mason City deserves partial credit for being known colloquially as Mason Sh***y
Speaking of nicknames for disliked cities in Iowa. This is what I’ve heard before.
Sewer City, Duh-puke, Dirty Dodge, Council-Tucky, Cedar Crapids, Keosuck, Muscastink, O-scumwa.
That’s all I’ve got lol

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
My answer is not because of the poster on here...Riceville. One of so many dying towns dotting rural Iowa that I'm blown away still exists. Nice people, sure, but they all look dead. Remove Riceville and insert Dedham, Iowa or any other town you probably haven't heard of and it's true across the board. It's unfortunate and sad driving across the state and seeing all these dying communities.

• Winner
Reactions: dafarmer

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
It seems the older the towns, the reasons that made it needed originally are gone. City Clerks run these towns and they are part time in most of the cities in Iowa. That is calling all incorporated areas cities. Use Des Moines, it was at a branch in the river. Handy place to have to stop. That need is now gone but others needs have grown. Take a small town that used to be on a railroad and had a school. Those needs are gone. All there is is housing and a bar or three.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Trying not to derail the thread - but if someone I know is planning to visit Yosemite and King's Canyon this year, I should tell them to avoid staying in Fresno? Maybe get a nice airbnb in one of the smaller towns?
I fly in and out of Fresno pretty regularly for work and it's not all that different than any other city it's size. There are good areas and bad areas. If I was going to be hitting up Yosemite and Kings Canyon it's pretty centrally located for doing that. Maybe though you could look at a little town just North East of Fresno I'm just not that familiar with what's going on north of Fresno since I spend all my time around Hanford when I'm there.

Reactions: mapnerd

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
If you're going to Yosemite, stay in Mariposa or Oakhurst. Smaller towns but much nicer. Picturesque as well

Did a couple nights in Mariposa. Had no idea before getting there but it was their annual fair - that was an experience. Nice enough little town, but they could put your average redneck to shame when they get after it.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Speaking of nicknames for disliked cities in Iowa. This is what I’ve heard before.
Sewer City, Duh-puke, Dirty Dodge, Council-Tucky, Cedar Crapids, Keosuck, Muscastink, O-scumwa.
That’s all I’ve got lol
There's several sh/ties. I've heard Iowas Sh/ty, Mason Sh/ty and Rockwell Sh/ty. You can credit our friends in the east for LAmes.

On the flip side, what is a city that nobody dislikes? Maybe Decorah?

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Did a couple nights in Mariposa. Had no idea before getting there but it was their annual fair - that was an experience. Nice enough little town, but they could put your average redneck to shame when they get after it.
So there is a surprisingly big Portuguese population in the central valley and backyard bullfights on a Saturday night are a thing you can do there if you're so inclined.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
There's several sh/ties. I've heard Iowas Sh/ty, Mason Sh/ty and Rockwell Sh/ty. You can credit our friends in the east for LAmes.

On the flip side, what is a city that nobody dislikes? Maybe Decorah?
I was just thinking Decorah. Probably the prettiest city/town in Iowa

Reactions: jcyclonee

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
My answer is not because of the poster on here...Riceville. One of so many dying towns dotting rural Iowa that I'm blown away still exists. Nice people, sure, but they all look dead. Remove Riceville and insert Dedham, Iowa or any other town you probably haven't heard of and it's true across the board. It's unfortunate and sad driving across the state and seeing all these dying communities.
Does Dedham have more cows or people?

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
From a midwest perspective this is cities that others in your state hate. Everyone in Minnesota hates all the richy-rich Edina folks. That's what the list appears to be getting at.

If that's the beef, Wayzata should probably the one listed.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Tell me you’ve never been to Amarillo or College Station without telling me.

I interviewed for a job down in Plainview which is halfway between Lubbock and Amarillo. I knew within an hour it wasn’t happening but had to spend the entire weekend there because the company flew me down.

It’s cheap as **** to live there but holy hell there’s a reason for that.

Reactions: Entropy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron