Basketball new juco commit?

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Let's all just be willing to admit that this spring we're striking out on nearly all of our top priority recruits. We did get Shayok of course, but he won't help us this year. Outside of him, we're now grasping at straws.

With that being said, this doesn't mean that all of the guys we do get won't be good or be able to help us out. It just means we aren't getting the top guys we wanted. There's a decent chance that we'll only be adding Cole-Johnson and Beverly at this point for the upcoming season. Neither one is a shooter, but more slasher type guys. It would be a bit worrisome IMO if we aren't adding any shooters for this year, but so be it.

If we miss on Brown there's got to be something better for next year than just Cole-Johnson. Gene Thorpe? It sucks we went almost exclusively in on guys that decided late.

Also, the interest in Cole-Johnson makes me wonder if the staff views Long's prospects next year as very bearish.

• Dislike
Reactions: bozclone

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
From the small amount of clips he doesn't look anything like the 4 Pratt was. He is a slasher 3 with a good handle. While Pratt could weave through bodies at times, I wouldn't call him a slasher. It certainly looks to me as though he's played basketball longer than 2 years. It could be that he didn't play organized basketball until recently.

Yeah, Pratt was like a smallish, Burton-sized (except the upper body) guy, but with Georges-type moves in the paint.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I trust Prohm so his opinion is the one that matters. People here are so hard on recruits. If they read this site we would be playing walk ons at best.

I trust Prohm too, but don't pretend like Cole-Johnson and Beverly were the guys Prohm and company wanted the most going into the spring. They will never admit it, but they are "settling" for these guys. There is no problem with that. You don't always get who you want, and that's why you come in with a back up plan. It just looks like we are now on to the back up plan.

But... also remember that there is nothing that says these two guys won't end up being better players than our top choices would have been. Recruiting is always a crapshoot. Some guys can surprise.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
If we miss on Brown there's got to be something better for next year than just Cole-Johnson. Gene Thorpe? It sucks we went almost exclusively in on guys that decided late.

Also, the interest in Cole-Johnson makes me wonder if the staff views Long's prospects next year as very bearish.
They were in on this kid before any other juco

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I trust Prohm too, but don't pretend like Cole-Johnson and Beverly were the guys Prohm and company wanted the most going into the spring. They will never admit it, but they are "settling" for these guys. There is no problem with that. You don't always get who you want, and that's why you come in with a back up plan. It just looks like we are now on to the back up plan.

But... also remember that there is nothing that says these two guys won't end up being better players than our top choices would have been. Recruiting is always a crapshoot. Some guys can surprise.
Actually as I said before Cole Johnson was the first JUCO they were after for this class.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
People are too worried about someone fitting a certain position
But rightfully wondering about someone fitting a certain need and role.

A perimeter player that shot under 20% on 3Ps isn't likely to be the infusion of scoring that we needed imo. We have three spots though

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
But rightfully wondering about someone fitting a certain need and role.

A perimeter player that shot under 20% on 3Ps isn't likely to be the infusion of scoring that we needed imo. We have three spots though
Aside from getting a starter at the 4/5 any type of experienced wing offense/defense was the next need imo. I think the 3PT shooting will be fine from the rest of the guys, but having someone that can attack from the perimeter and get to the line could play dividends as well as any 3PT shooter at that spot. Ideally they could do both.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Looks like red shirt material.

Cole-Johnson? Why?

We need help this year. And if he's the real deal, you want to use him this year. If he ends up not being the real deal, then even more reason to use up one of his years so you're not stuck with him too long, right? I know that sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Yeah, Pratt was like a smallish, Burton-sized (except the upper body) guy, but with Georges-type moves in the paint.

Pratt was maybe 6-3 or 6-4 tops. Pratt was not a leaper. You are correct in saying that he had Georges-type moves in the paint. Pratt was not a threat from outside at all. But the guy was shifty and could score and rebound.

• Agree
Reactions: CRcyclone6

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
Pratt was maybe 6-3 or 6-4 tops. Pratt was not a leaper. You are correct in saying that he had Georges-type moves in the paint. Pratt was not a threat from outside at all. But the guy was shifty and could score and rebound.

Beverly had some nice post moves. Not afraid to bump around in the paint.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
Maybe we're thinking about this wrong. We could view Cole-Johnson as taking Mitrou-Long's spot as a guy with a hyphenated last name. Always keep at least 2 of those and at least 2 Canadians on the roster.

Dang, I really wanted two ready-to-play Big12 guys, like Brown, Alstork, Egor, Juiston. But as many have noted, guys surprise sometimes when given the opportunity.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

How tall was Marquis Gilstrap? Cole-Johnson reminds me a bit of him, but I think Gilstrap was more like 6'6", right?

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015

Or it has nothing to do with Long. Jeeesh

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I'm alrightbif we pick this kid up. If he is a three year guy he will be fine. If he played another year of juco I would imagine he would be a top ten juco recruit.