In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
A little surprised nobody has mentioned Winston’ & Tazzles? $0.25 draws on Wednesday’s, $1 pitchers on Thursdays and free beer from 7 to 10 on Fridays and Saturday’s. And for some stretches, Ms Pac-Man and the revolutionary NBA jam. A dump, but it was OUR dump in the early 90’s. Also a Boone movie theatre had $1 or $2 new release movies. There was a Chinese place next to the old Qwik Shop (where I met my wife) that was excellent, across the street from Taco Bell, errrrr Dunkin Donuts.

Free beer AND wells at Tazzles.

Reactions: BurgundyClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why do I feel like the University has doubled in students in the last 30, 40 years and the number of bars has halved?

Probably because it has. 21 drinking age hasn't been a friend of Welch Ave from the old days.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Probably because it has. 21 drinking age hasn't been a friend of Welch Ave from the old days.

Underage kids still know the house party sites. I can still recite the 2-3 places we went to on any given weekend for a kegger. Campus Ave, Knapp Ave, Tail end of Welch always had places to go.

IIRC 501 Welch was always our connection to drinking as a fresh/soph. No clue who lived there.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Underage kids still know the house party sites. I can still recite the 2-3 places we went to on any given weekend for a kegger. Campus Ave, Knapp Ave, Tail end of Welch always had places to go.

IIRC 501 Welch was always our connection to drinking as a fresh/soph. No clue who lived there.
2 year resident of 535 Welch (the last house on the corner) circa 2002-04.
At least every other weekend we had a kegger.

Reactions: dawgpound

ILikeTurtles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 15, 2011
Dunno how to search but did anyone mention Lucky's pizza yet? Weirdest place - it was half video store half take out pizza place. Not great but for $5 you got a personal cheese pizza and breadsticks. Great for late night

• Agree
Reactions: Farnsworth

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

I did 90% of my college drinking at house parties and rest at bars. Even after I turned 21 I did more drinking at parties. Bars were just too expensive. We'd go to Buck Burgers every week and maybe watch South Park at Welch Ave, but not much bar hopping outside of that.

I was also in band and we had parties every week during football season and multiple parties outside of the season as well. I hosted way too many keggers and luckily never got busted for underage kids drinking at my house.

It helped that the few times we had police come to our house, the cop was a former band member (if I remember right) and my roommate just went out front and chatted with him while all the youngsters went out the back.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Dunno how to search but did anyone mention Lucky's pizza yet? Weirdest place - it was half video store half take out pizza place. Not great but for $5 you got a personal cheese pizza and breadsticks. Great for late night
I believe that was the old Battles location.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The video revolution, where you could fill up your car with gas, walk inside and rent a movie and a player if needed. If it was Casey's you could get a pizza as well.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
They had a couple sawed off pool sticks you had to use for certain shots because the table was so close to the wall.

They still had the short cues when I would go back between 06-08. Good times! I'd end up playing the same couple of regularly who always knew which way to play the table roll.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
I believe it was gone by the time I started in '04, but my brother used to tell me about a crappy video store that sold ****** pizza on Hayward just south of Lincoln Way. Always sounded like the videostore from Clerks. Haha!