Are Free Throws really that hard to make?

Are free throws easy to make?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
The exhaustion and adrenaline make it a lot more difficult to shoot FTs. I can shoot 70-80% in my driveway, but shot well below 50% in intramurals and played a lot more ball then. The environment is probably a bit tougher in B12 than intramurals also.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
They are harder to shoot in the game. Bet you lipsey shoots at or better tha. 80% in practice.

I think it is mental, and would be hard to fix mid season. Dudes need complete trust in the shot and once that goes away it will be streaky.
you are right it is mental. BRE looked good at the beginning of the year and now something is off with his shooting style.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The exhaustion and adrenaline make it a lot more difficult to shoot FTs. I can shoot 70-80% in my driveway, but shot well below 50% in intramurals and played a lot more ball then. The environment is probably a bit tougher in B12 than intramurals also.

And like a lot of things 'game tired' and 'practice tired' are two different things with game tired being something you can't just replicate no matter how hard you practice.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
In an arena surrounded by 10-15,000 people watching you and some sort of precarious situation pending on whether you make the shot or not.

Michael Jordan was one of the most OCD, motor-memory conditioned athletes you'll ever find but shot 83% for his career.
He was 100% with his eyes closed though right?

Reactions: madguy30

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
He was 100% with his eyes closed though right?
do you remember a player Devin Riley playing from 95-99 for ISU. He is on facebook just blistering anyone who doesnot agree with him about freethrows and points BRE cost the team last night. I am curious as I don't remember him. Hemakes it sound like he is a stud.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Milan's shooting 86%.

As a team they're currently shooting 68%.

I'm doing some digging but so far collectively and individually they're about on par with some of ISU's best teams ever including Fred's better teams.

Several guys in the 70s and 60s weighted down by one or two in the 50s.

Royce White shot 49%.

The best ones so far that I've found were Johnny's last two teams and Tim's first one.

The 96-97 team shot 65% (!).

So I guess Tim Floyd, Larry Eustachy and Fred all didn't emphasize motor memory enough throughout their tenures according to a few posters on here.

But Johnny, who had one conference winning season, did?
I admit to zero research. Maybe we need a guard up where Milan is though. Would certainly help.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I admit to zero research. Maybe we need a guard up where Milan is though. Would certainly help.

I'd like to see him on the block at some point as the year goes on. Perhaps that's in the works or similar and can help late in games.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
do you remember a player Devin Riley playing from 95-99 for ISU. He is on facebook just blistering anyone who doesnot agree with him about freethrows and points BRE cost the team last night. I am curious as I don't remember him. Hemakes it sound like he is a stud.
Not old enough for that.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't remember that name at all, so if he did stay at ISU for 4 years, it must have been at the very end of the bench. Edit: google shows nothing about him related to Iowa State

• Informative
Reactions: cyfreddy and NWICY

ISULibrarian

Apr 17, 2010
Yeah, I am technically old enough also as that's around when I started paying attention to ISU basketball, and the name didn't ring any bells. He's not on the 96-97 roster on Wikipedia. Also not on the 97-98 roster on Cyclones.com, which was Fizer's freshman year.
I don't remember that name at all, so if he did stay at ISU for 4 years, it must have been at the very end of the bench. Edit: google shows nothing about him related to Iowa State

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I am drawing a blank on that name.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
I am drawing a blank on that name.
He makes it sound like he was a great player and his son is an all american an hie 12 year daughter is a 90% plus freethrow shooter. his name is not familiar to me. thanks for all the feed back

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Saw a study years ago that indicated heavy weightlifting negatively impacted free throw shooting accuracy, but I think there's been plenty of research to rebut that in the years that followed. It's about perfecting a repetitive motion, not about being too tired or adding bulk that makes the shot more difficult.
Was Fran McCaffrey the lead investigator on that study?