Are Free Throws really that hard to make?

Are free throws easy to make?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I am personally no D1 athlete, but back in school I use to be able consistently stand and hit 7/10 or 8/10 free throws. I guess I don’t know what I am missing with this team and why we can’t make them consistently. It’s been like this for Iowa State even going back to Fred’s teams. I imagine they practice them and get shots up. It’s like their brains melt to mush when they stand behind the free throw line.

jspeels

May 14, 2022
BRE really struggles, more on the road! At this stage I don’t know if it’s fixable. That’s the one shot you can shoot over and over in a gym on your own!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A 15 foot straight away jumper is also a hard shot to make.

If it was an easy thing, you'd have many teams with lots of 90% free throw shooters on teams and it's not a thing.

Baylor also missed a bunch late in the game.

Reactions: VeloClone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Saw a study years ago that indicated heavy weightlifting negatively impacted free throw shooting accuracy, but I think there's been plenty of research to rebut that in the years that followed. It's about perfecting a repetitive motion, not about being too tired or adding bulk that makes the shot more difficult.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
People sneer at "muh granny style" free throws. In reality we should call out any player still using "loser style" free throws and any coaches who allow their players to do it. I much prefer making free throws to win than looking cool while losing.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
I am personally no D1 athlete, but back in school I use to be able consistently stand and hit 7/10 or 8/10 free throws. I guess I don’t know what I am missing with this team and why we can’t make them consistently. It’s been like this for Iowa State even going back to Fred’s teams. I imagine they practice them and get shots up. It’s like their brains melt to mush when they stand behind the free throw line.
Do you have the box scores of the games you went 8/10 and 7/10?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If there is a single poster on this board that could shoot 70% in similar conditions I would be shocked

In an arena surrounded by 10-15,000 people watching you and some sort of precarious situation pending on whether you make the shot or not.

Michael Jordan was one of the most OCD, motor-memory conditioned athletes you'll ever find but shot 83% for his career.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
It wouldn’t be the worst for TJ to steal whatever Fenelly does for free throws. The women are consistently a much better free throw shooting team.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Villanova was consistently among the best FT shooting teams in the country under Jay Wright and there weren't many programs that were playing on a bigger stage than them year in and year out.

I wondered if anybody pulled him aside last week and asked what he was doing with his teams, physically AND mentally that resulted in that kind of success. If not, it was a wasted opportunity.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron