*** Official #6 IOWA STATE vs #2 Houston Game(Day) Thread ***

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I want to apologize for the overrated chants. Unfortunately, some of our students are still learning game etiquette. I think some of the older guys in the crowd shut it up pretty quickly. I think it’s one of the most annoying chants and I’m very sorry. Y’all are a top 5 team.
Meh don't worry about it. It was a heck of a ball game. Shead is a stud. Maybe we will meet in KC (hopefully) then get placed way opposite of each other in the big tourney. I was impressed with you guys in Hilton and still am.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
Say what you will but I lost all respect for Coach Sampson after the cheating at both Oklahoma and then Indiana. That said, Houston is damned solid, and we fought well. ISU is a really good team.
What was the extent of the “cheating”? Contacting players during a dead period? I’ll forgive that pretty quick. If it was more than that, please correct me.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Yeah, I thought it was pretty slanted toward them in the first half, and mostly balanced out in the second. Kind of had to laugh when Rob got called for a foul for reaching over to tap out a rebound though. Probably the least contact on a possession all game.
In fairness officiating a Houston -ISU game is a pretty tough task. I think you’re going to see this kind of strangeness. Letting a bunch of stuff go because you don’t want to call a foul every 30 seconds, then deciding you’ve got to get it under control and call some anticipation fouls.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Tamin looks injured out there and not like his normal self. Might actually be good to sit him out a few games honestly.
Even if we just sit him Saturday, our next game after that isn't until next Wednesday. 9 days rest for him going into March might not be a bad idea.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
In fairness officiating a Houston -ISU game is a pretty tough task. I think you’re going to see this kind of strangeness. Letting a bunch of stuff go because you don’t want to call a foul every 30 seconds, then deciding you’ve got to get it under control and call some anticipation fouls.
I think that’s what got us early. They weren’t going to call anything that was at or near the rim, but they were going to let about everything on the perimeter go. It took us a while to adjust our aggression to get those calls by getting to the rim.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Every fanbase does this in every sport ever. I get exhausted by green grass and blue skies too.

It's more annoying when people act as if NO GAME EVER has bad one sided officiating. Our other five losses were way more about the way ISU played and I don't think there was any real officiating disadvantage. Both teams played a tough similar style tonight and they were very clearly not officiated in a similar way at all.

If we can't discuss clear reality, there's no sense having a sports discussion board.

Every year we have 5-8 games with atrocious officiating, once in a while it's the key factor in deciding a game but usually not. None of us can typically see when we're on the other side of it, had we gotten the Baylor win it would have been a rare time most of us knew we got gifted one (but we didn't win it). I really don't think the Baylor thread was full of 90% ISU fans complaining about officials the way some contrarians are claiming, more likely we all knew we got massive breaks and still couldn't win it.

Reactions: rosshm16

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I'm not sure how shed fits on an nba team. He should stay as long as possible. Skill wise he's not close yet to the nba. Great college player, but nowhere near an nba guard.

• Disagree
Reactions: nrg4isu

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If we drop, it's from votes from people flat out don't know basketball. If anything, I think we solidified our reputation.

Among people that watched the game, there will be a ton of respect. Many of those may not have seen us much until tonight being a big monday game.

Even in a loss, i think this might solidify us as legit and counteract that crowd that's been like 'but they played no one in the noncon'

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
This will be the toughest game ISU will play all year. They hung in there despite everything and gave Houston all they wanted. Without a doubt, these are the 2 best teams in the conference. ISU will go deep into March.