*** Official Selection Sunday Thread ***

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Apparently the committee thinks all conference participation should be treated equally, so being in a crap conference is best

Guess the conference should just go to a single round robin next year is what the committee is saying. 15 games. Replace those with nonconference games because those mean more for some reason.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What’s frustrating is that the whole Non Con SOS debate 100% favors the blue bloods. They are guaranteed a top tier holiday tournament every year plus other kickoff events like the champions classic etc. They aren’t going to schedule a home and away with Iowa State. Iowa State leans on the chips falling in to place for their holiday tournament and a quality opponent in Iowa and the Big East challenge. As much as the committee wants to talk about it, it’s not all in Iowa States control.

Ehhhh…our scheduling problem wasn’t not having power 5 teams. It was that we played the worst of the worst low level teams. Get a few better SWACC teams and it would help.

1TwistedCyclone

Jan 16, 2024
Cedar Falls
I'm probably wrong. But I say screw it and double down on our non conference scheduling in the future, and don't mess with our formula. Save the money on the buy in games, boost team confidence, continue to finish near the top in the big 12 and consistently make deep tourney runs.

Or, perhaps by playing UNI and Drake (and potentially some Dakota schools), we could actually boost revenues and non con SOS.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
What’s frustrating is that the whole Non Con SOS debate 100% favors the blue bloods. They are guaranteed a top tier holiday tournament every year plus other kickoff events like the champions classic etc. They aren’t going to schedule a home and away with Iowa State. Iowa State leans on the chips falling in to place for their holiday tournament and a quality opponent in Iowa and the Big East challenge. As much as the committee wants to talk about it, it’s not all in Iowa States control.

And SOS doesn't care if you win, unlike SOR.

So these teams pad their NCSOS just by scheduling those games, and because they're blue bloods vs blue bloods, they don't take any hits for those losses anyway.

CardinalGlick

May 17, 2016
Ehhhh…our scheduling problem wasn’t not having power 5 teams. It was that we played the worst of the worst low level teams. Get a few better SWACC teams and it would help.
How many of our non-conference games this season were set up right after our 2 win season?

Reactions: aauummm

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
He’s spot on. I thought we could have been a one. I’m livid we were the last two.

I wonder what we will be ranked tomorrow. I’m guessing it won’t be ******* 8.
It seemed everyone (local and national media, bracketologists) had ISU locked in as a 2 seed after the Baylor win (many said ISU was a lock after the K-State win). Absolutely mind boggling that it took an almost 30 point beating of the then projected #1 overall seed for the committee to move ISU barely from the 3 to 2 seed line. None of the metrics align with this at all. I think ISU will be fine, the team has already shown they can beat anyone anywhere but it just irks me beyond belief that there is a double standard and the powers that be in college sports don't even try to hide it anymore.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

I mean it all goes into the same formula so both can be true.

We probably would have been better off if we'd had a better neutral site tournament vs teams that finished better and lost all 3, since SOS doesn't care if you win.

Committee is all in on 'quality losses' in the noncon with this kind of messaging.

Reactions: ABECyguy and jsb

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

How do we know who the “good” SWAC team is year to year? Are there perennial powers in that league? Didn’t we play Grambling? I think they are in the tourney?

Reactions: NENick

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
And SOS doesn't care if you win, unlike SOR.

So these teams pad their NCSOS just by scheduling those games, and because they're blue bloods vs blue bloods, they don't take any hits for those losses anyway.

I really don’t think it’s not playing the the blue bloods that caused our SOS to be so bad. It’s that we played the most terrible teams in the terrible conferences. Play the better teams in the terrible conferences and we’d be better off.

And that was exactly what the coaching staff set out to do. We meant to have this schedule as we were told in a bunch of podcasts.

And it did work like they wanted it to. But it turns out the committee didn’t like it.

• Agree
Reactions: cayin

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
How do we know who the “good” SWAC team is year to year? Are there perennial powers in that league? Didn’t we play Grambling? I think they are in the tourney?

You have a general idea.

It shouldn’t have mattered because it did help our NET and we were told that matters. But we got ****** over.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I'm probably wrong. But I say screw it and double down on our non conference scheduling in the future, and don't mess with our formula. Save the money on the buy in games, boost team confidence, continue to finish near the top in the big 12 and consistently make deep tourney runs.

Or, perhaps by playing UNI and Drake (and potentially some Dakota schools), we could actually boost revenues and non con SOS.

Problem is UNI/Drake will only play us if it’s home/home. Or neutral site. Would we schedule home and home or neutral with Murray State?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

It's all really stupid.

To make it not be super stupid you'd need to penalize other conferences that suck balls compared to the Big 12.

And before "they can't control who is in their conference"...oh yes they can, two conferences have been scheduling the conference games for eveyrbody and they have passed on elite basketball programs like Kansas, UConn, Houston, Arizona, Baylor along with solid programs like Utah, BYU, ISU, KSU.

They intentionally choose to be average in basketball and create a Big 12 super league. We shouldn't be penalized that all other conferences basically suck now.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
The NCAA does not, and has never, cared about a level playing field. They always have, and always will, care about the big name “blue blood” schools. Basketball, football, wrestling; we see it every year (some of us have been around to see it for more years than others). I see no indication that this will ever change.

• Dumb
Reactions: ClubCy and bosco

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I thought about ******** about the selection committee and the terrible path college sports is on, but I choose to celebrate our team. Let’s keep playing great and show everyone in the nation how good we truly are. We have proven we can play with the best of the best and beat them.

Reactions: NENick

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
It is giving me major ISU vs Michigan State 2000 Elite Eight in Auburn Hills vibes if the matchup happens.
Yes, and if we make it to an elite eight matchup with UConn you can expect the same type of shenanigans. We will have to beat them by twenty to beat them by two.