Jalynn Bristow Transferring

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I'm not going to go into every point because it's clear you have a negative frame of mind from the last time that I addressed your comments, but I think it's really important to understand that every off-season, teams like Iowa State, K-State, hell even Michigan State and Tennessee are going to be under siege. Schools with money will come calling. We have (thus far) kept Crooks, Brown, Joens, and Jackson. Add in Ryan, Williams, Tanke, etc. and we've got a good core. Sure, we lost Bristow. That sucks. But expecting us not to lose anybody in modern times is kind of naive. I don't know how you watch what happened this year and come away with the take that Fennelly is washed or not helping our success. Sometimes there we things that were frustrating, sure - that happens under every coach, every year. But he also took a group of 5 freshman to the Second Round, runner-up Big 12 tournament, and forced a legendary coach in Tara VanDerveer to a scrappy overtime where we had a shot to win - all while our best performer had a bad night. I'm not so interested in litigating years' ago history where context may have been lost compared to the proven results on the court this year.
You seem like a good guy, but you didn’t address my comments, this time or last. You make assumptions, most of which are incorrect, then lecture on things I already know. That’s fine - you’ll get lots of “likes”.

I didn’t ask you to litigate ancient history. ISU WBB hasn’t won or shared a regular season conference title in 25 years but you act like anything CBF does is above question. Are you truly “great” if you don’t win when it matters? Do you not want to celebrate conference titles periodically? With what I’ve watched over the past six years, teams including some of the highest ranked recruits in ISU WBB history, I’m not confident CBF will lead us to conference titles with this promising group. Why would I be?

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
You seem like a good guy, but you didn’t address my comments, this time or last. You make assumptions, most of which are incorrect, then lecture on things I already know. That’s fine - you’ll get lots of “likes”.

I didn’t ask you to litigate ancient history. ISU WBB hasn’t won or shared a regular season conference title in 25 years but you act like anything CBF does is above question. Are you truly “great” if you don’t win when it matters? Do you not want to celebrate conference titles periodically? With what I’ve watched over the past six years, teams including some of the highest ranked recruits in ISU WBB history, I’m not confident CBF will lead us to conference titles with this promising group. Why would I be?
Who do you want as coach? Really, why do you hate CBF? Your bias toward him is apparent. Anyone who wants to criticize what he has done for Iiwa State either is not a fan of his, or not being realistic.

Reactions: ChiClone22

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Look at ISUs record in the years prior to BF. Take a look at how many teams in our country, let alone our conference, that would love to have the records you’ve outlined.
I think highly of your opinion, as evidenced by the number of “likes” I give to your posts, but this isn’t your best work. ISU fans and administrators are very supportive of all programs and you’re representative of that. This is a subjective opinion when I’m trying to stay with unassailable facts, but I believe there are competitive programs out there who would not be satisfied with zero conference titles in the past 25 years. It’s a long offseason…

• Dumb
Reactions: ribsnwhiskey

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The primary goal(s) of every college basketball team is to win regular season conference titles and go deep into the NCAA tournament.

In 29 seasons, CBF has never won an outright regular season title, tying for the title only once (99-00).

Under CBF's guidance, ISU has made 23 NCAA Tournament Appearances, with 8 - First Round Exits, 9 - Second Round Exits, 4 Sweet Sixteen Appearances and 2 Elite 8 Appearances (1998-99 & 2008-09). Yes, ISU has exited three of every four NCAA tournaments we've appeared in with zero or one victories.

Obviously, CFB wins a significant number of games (.661 winning percentage at ISU) - just as obvious, he doesn't win them when it comes to regular season conference titles or Final Four appearances (zero).

CBF is well-compensated, ranking #23 amongst all WBB coaches as of March 2024, and #2 in the Big XII behind only Vic Schaefer at Texas. As a point of reference, Jennie Baranczyk at OU makes less than Bill and has won twice as many Big XII titles in only three years at the helm.

The first sentence is my opinion, but everything which follows is fact. It's the age-old argument, do you need to win titles to be considered "great"? I subscribe to the theory you do, so I'm not as enamored of CBF as the majority of the board. It doesn't help my frame of mind when we lose a player like Jalynn Bristow, whom I viewed as a key piece moving forward in a watered-down Big XII conference.

Don't shoot the messenger - address the FACTS and give me your "take" - I'm truly interested in the unblinking loyalty, especially from those of you who've closely followed or had season tickets for decades (mred, Shadow, NWIACY, Acoustimac, etc.).

Personally I enjoy wbb but realize it doesn't make a profit. To go coach/title chasing would be foolish IMO. Bill has pretty much earned his keep IMO, I'm guessing he retires when this yrs freshman graduate.
It's disappointing that JB left but with the way the portal, NIL, and everything are I no longer care who stays or goes. I've been attending ISU wbb longer than most of these kids have been alive. I've always cheered for the school and not the individual. I appreciate them while they are there but cheer for the team regardless of who is on it.
A few more deep run (sweet 16 or more) would probably help fan interest. Did run down to Kc for the B12 championship hung out with Acoustimac and Geewago. I haven't tourney traveled since the early 2000s why go when you don't think your going to win, no different than not going to Baylor when Mulkey was there. I was in Cincy the yr we beat UConn but then lost to the MN twins who played for Georgia.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I think highly of your opinion, as evidenced by the number of “likes” I give to your posts, but this isn’t your best work. ISU fans and administrators are very supportive of all programs and you’re representative of that. This is a subjective opinion when I’m trying to stay with unassailable facts, but I believe there are competitive programs out there who would not be satisfied with zero conference titles in the past 25 years. It’s a long offseason…
If you write a big enough ck to the A D. You can probably get the changes you seek.
Wbb is a pleasant way to spend time in the winter. After that it's way above my pay grade to decide things. The recruiting has picked up the last couple of years. I'm good with seeing where it takes us.

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024

How many times has the men's team won a regular season championship lately? We've been up against Mulkey-led Baylor for many of those years where no one but UCONN would stand a chance. You're ignoring a lot of context yourself to keep going at this argument.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA

Women's basketball titles by school
TeamSeasonsRegular seasonTournamentTotal
Baylor1997–present131123
Oklahoma1997–present7411
Texas1997–present325
Texas Tech1997–present325
Kansas State1997–present202
Iowa State1997–present134
Kansas1997–present101
Nebraska1997–2011101
Texas A&M1997–2012123
West Virginia2013–present112
BYU2023–present000
Cincinnati2023–present000
Colorado1997–2011, 2025–future011
Houston2023–present000
Missouri1997–2012000
Oklahoma State1997–present000
TCU2013–present000
UCF2023–present000

Since you are hung up on Conference Titles - Here is the complete list. Tech has not had one since the 90's. Other than Baylor and Oklahoma no one has more than 3. ISU has the third most tournament titles behind Baylor and Oklahoma. I get it you do not like this coaching staff - but the reality is there has been a DOMINATE program (with multiple National Championships) winning most of the titles. I do not have the energy to look but I would think in that time they have only finished in the bottom half of the conference a few time. A consistently competitive team is what I would look for and I think that has what has been delivered year after year!!

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
The primary goal(s) of every college basketball team is to win regular season conference titles and go deep into the NCAA tournament.

In 29 seasons, CBF has never won an outright regular season title, tying for the title only once (99-00).

Under CBF's guidance, ISU has made 23 NCAA Tournament Appearances, with 8 - First Round Exits, 9 - Second Round Exits, 4 Sweet Sixteen Appearances and 2 Elite 8 Appearances (1998-99 & 2008-09). Yes, ISU has exited three of every four NCAA tournaments we've appeared in with zero or one victories.

Obviously, CFB wins a significant number of games (.661 winning percentage at ISU) - just as obvious, he doesn't win them when it comes to regular season conference titles or Final Four appearances (zero).

CBF is well-compensated, ranking #23 amongst all WBB coaches as of March 2024, and #2 in the Big XII behind only Vic Schaefer at Texas. As a point of reference, Jennie Baranczyk at OU makes less than Bill and has won twice as many Big XII titles in only three years at the helm.

The first sentence is my opinion, but everything which follows is fact. It's the age-old argument, do you need to win titles to be considered "great"? I subscribe to the theory you do, so I'm not as enamored of CBF as the majority of the board. It doesn't help my frame of mind when we lose a player like Jalynn Bristow, whom I viewed as a key piece moving forward in a watered-down Big XII conference.

Don't shoot the messenger - address the FACTS and give me your "take" - I'm truly interested in the unblinking loyalty, especially from those of you who've closely followed or had season tickets for decades (mred, Shadow, NWIACY, Acoustimac, etc.).

We have never had a “successful coach“ in Football. Or Women’s or Men’s Basketball or Volleyball. Zero National Championships. Few league championships in our history. IMO Bill Fennelly gives us our best shot. Because we were absolutely atrocious before he came. Now we have a competitive program that finishes usually upper half of conference and makes the NCAA’s. Yes I want more. But I am not foolish enough to throw everything away by foolishly thinking that because I have not achieved ultimate championship success that we do not have a successful program. We have an excellent youthful team. I am disappointed that Jalynn did not challenge herself to improve enough to be a consistent contributor and possible starter. Hope she finds what she is looking for.

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
Personally I enjoy wbb but realize it doesn't make a profit. To go coach/title chasing would be foolish IMO. Bill has pretty much earned his keep IMO, I'm guessing he retires when this yrs freshman graduate.
It's disappointing that JB left but with the way the portal, NIL, and everything are I no longer care who stays or goes. I've been attending ISU wbb longer than most of these kids have been alive. I've always cheered for the school and not the individual. I appreciate them while they are there but cheer for the team regardless of who is on it.
A few more deep run (sweet 16 or more) would probably help fan interest. Did run down to Kc for the B12 championship hung out with Acoustimac and Geewago. I haven't tourney traveled since the early 2000s why go when you don't think your going to win, no different than not going to Baylor when Mulkey was there. I was in Cincy the yr we beat UConn but then lost to the MN twins who played for Georgia.
I would love if Bill gave the next coach a season or two with this class of freshmen, it would help them get off on the right foot.

Reactions: CYDJ

ZorkClone

Nov 12, 2019
In today's world if this coaching staff left there is a very good chance some of the good young players would depart also.
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that Billy might get the job and keep most of the staff. But if we get someone else, I'm sure Bill would give the players a lot of notice.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Who do you want as coach? Really, why do you hate CBF? Your bias toward him is apparent. Anyone who wants to criticize what he has done for Iiwa State either is not a fan of his, or not being realistic.
Given the dire situation we were in after last season and not having Ryan for the start of the season I feel like this was one of Bill's best coaching jobs in awhile. I'm really excited about next year too especially if we can add some from the portal. Those freshman far exceed anyone's expectations coming into this season and to compete like they did was fun to watch too. No one here was expecting an NCAA tournament berth let alone the kind of year Audi had too. Baffles me how anyone can be mad at the job Bill did this year.

Losing Bristow hurts but the success Audi and Addy had probably has something to do with it too as she isn't going to beat either out for a starting job. I would have loved to see her stay and be a force off the bench but there is probably more playing time somewhere else.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that Billy might get the job and keep most of the staff. But if we get someone else, I'm sure Bill would give the players a lot of notice.
I've said this here many times, only way I'd be comfortable giving Billy the job is if he left and had some success as a head coach somewhere else first. The ISU job is too good to hand over to a 1st time hesd coach. The first call you make is to Brenda Freese, I used to think she'd never leave Maryland but you never know. Next on my list is Jenny B at OU. I think she likely will return to Iowa when Bluder retires but I'd love to beat them to the punch and try to lure her if we had the chance to 1st. After that would depend on when Bill decides to retire and who out there with head coaching expirience we could bring in and not take a step back.

AlCyJim

Aug 11, 2022
I've said this here many times, only way I'd be comfortable giving Billy the job is if he left and had some success as a head coach somewhere else first. The ISU job is too good to hand over to a 1st time hesd coach. The first call you make is to Brenda Freese, I used to think she'd never leave Maryland but you never know. Next on my list is Jenny B at OU. I think she likely will return to Iowa when Bluder retires but I'd love to beat them to the punch and try to lure her if we had the chance to 1st. After that would depend on when Bill decides to retire and who out there with head coaching expirience we could bring in and not take a step back.
agree with you on Billy but didn't he try for another job at a smaller school and not get it? also how about Heather Ezell? not sure if the current staff stays with Billy. just my thought

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City

I don't have a current list of preferred coaches - not my thing. There are a number of innovative lower-level coaches out there who would jump at an Iowa State opportunity, some with ISU connections.

To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else. To be biased against something means you do not favor it over something else. So to be biased towards dogs means that you favor dogs over something else, such as cats. Sometimes, people just say "I am biased" to mean they favor something.

I don't hate Bill, I appreciate the improvement he's facilitated in the program (over 29 years) and you can search until the cows come home, you'll never find a statement from me suggesting he should be relieved of his duties.

I am on a first name basis with a prominent family of Cyclone WBB players (current & former), so I have more insight, for the time being at least, than the average fan. I am careful not to betray their confidence, especially when it comes to happenings involving CBF. I've actually spent a significant amount of two-on-one time with the man - he sat with my wife and me at multiple games over several years when he was recruiting at City High - we were friendly faces wearing ISU sweatshirts and he sought us out after the first event. I don't hate Bill but he's not the nicest guy I've ever met.

To slightly edit a comment made by NWIACY earlier, "I'm a fan of the team, not the coach - no individual is ever more important than the team."

In other news, "Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead", and I'm still disappointed Jalynn Bristow has decided to leave Ames.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
In the ENTIRE history of the Big 12 there are only TWO teams with more than three regular season titles. Four long timers have zero. In most conferences there are almost always 1-2 teams that dominate. Would your argument stand in the Big East?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
In the ENTIRE history of the Big 12 there are only TWO teams with more than three regular season titles. Four long timers have zero. In most conferences there are almost always 1-2 teams that dominate. Would your argument stand in the Big East?
Anyone that has an issue with BFs results is not worth arguing with. Now if it's about how he treats certain players as apposed to others? That's another topic.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I don't have a current list of preferred coaches - not my thing. There are a number of innovative lower-level coaches out there who would jump at an Iowa State opportunity, some with ISU connections.

To be biased towards something means you favor it over something else. To be biased against something means you do not favor it over something else. So to be biased towards dogs means that you favor dogs over something else, such as cats. Sometimes, people just say "I am biased" to mean they favor something.

I don't hate Bill, I appreciate the improvement he's facilitated in the program (over 29 years) and you can search until the cows come home, you'll never find a statement from me suggesting he should be relieved of his duties.

I am on a first name basis with a prominent family of Cyclone WBB players (current & former), so I have more insight, for the time being at least, than the average fan. I am careful not to betray their confidence, especially when it comes to happenings involving CBF. I've actually spent a significant amount of two-on-one time with the man - he sat with my wife and me at multiple games over several years when he was recruiting at City High - we were friendly faces wearing ISU sweatshirts and he sought us out after the first event. I don't hate Bill but he's not the nicest guy I've ever met.

To slightly edit a comment made by NWIACY earlier, "I'm a fan of the team, not the coach - no individual is ever more important than the team."

In other news, "Generalismo Francisco Franco is still dead", and I'm still disappointed Jalynn Bristow has decided to leave Ames.
Well I have neet CBF on many occasions, quite a friendly guy actually. Wonder who you are talking about, current and former prominent Cyclone basketball players. I belive there would only be one on the current roster.....