Jalynn Bristow Transferring

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
just don't be suprised when folks disagree with you. 29 years, 600 plus wins, one of the winningest active coaches in the game. I'll choose to support the team and coaches we have.
Agree. Think of this before Coach Fennelly, Iowa State women had one season with 20 wins...ONE! Coach has AVERAGED 21 wins per year during his 29 years. His average number of wins is better than the best season before his arrival.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
The more I think about the timing, the more I think it was a sit down with coaches about working harder on her defense. A bit reminiscent of Aubrey. Playing D for CBF is harder than 90% of schools. There aren’t too many run and gun teams like the current Sooner philosophy, the refs favor NFL physicality. Sadly for most fans.
Wonder if they had the same conversation with Audi?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Agree. Think of this before Coach Fennelly, Iowa State women had one season with 20 wins...ONE! Coach has AVERAGED 21 wins per year during his 29 years. His average number of wins is better than the best season before his arrival.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The more I think about the timing, the more I think it was a sit down with coaches about working harder on her defense. A bit reminiscent of Aubrey. Playing D for CBF is harder than 90% of schools. There aren’t too many run and gun teams like the current Sooner philosophy, the refs favor NFL physicality. Sadly for most fans.

Gotta be the first post I've ever seen that cited Fennelly being a defensive taskmaster as a reason someone might not want or be able to play for him. o_O

Not sure how challenging playing the "immaculate" Iowa State way defense of never fouling an opponent really is. Don't foul, don't get physical on defense, don't risk going for a steal, etc. :rolleyes:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Yeah I'm not buying that. We play a very passive defense, and defense has not been a focus of the Fennelly era. I'd say it's more likely that Bristow didn't love the inconsistent role and saw the writing on the wall that it's going to be the Audi/Addy show for three more years. She has a lot of potential and could have a more defined role for a good program next year.

• Haha
Reactions: savepolarbears

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
by levers you mean drop zone letting any team shoot at will and hope they miss. By levers, dribble for 20 secs and then shockingly pass to Crooks. By levers, have Brown post up who has no post game, and try to create. By levers, not use versatile guards and forwards on the roster but repeatedly go to the worst defenders and worst lineup combos. By levers manning up and drubbing the opponent, but this only last 2 mins.. every 3 games in the season at most. Yeah... he pulled levers all right. The talent leaving is not being recruited over, they are never used even when on the floor. It's just sad there are people shrugging their shoulders thinking losing the best talent on the roster is expected. In terms of upside Crooks > Bristow > Brown, but Bristow will get there earlier.
Someone did not watch Addy Brown this year. I guess we see what we want to see.

Dribbling for 20 seconds and then passing to Crooks turned the season around.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
We must be watching way different games. There is almost no motion on 90% of our offensive possessions unless it was the five freshmen in. Unless you are counting on audi moving for position as motion. The lack of motion and passing also caused way too many turnovers in entry passes to the posts this year as we rarely moved the ball to get the correct passing angle.

The lack of a second option for Brown was the issue. You had to have guessed Stanford would double and she had no outlet on the play.
She could've kicked it out but decided to try to split the double and draw a foul. It didn't work, but I had no issue with the play. Giving it to your best playmaker in the post is not a bad option and had just worked the possession prior.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You can still support the program ( and the coaching staff) and point out their flaws. I mean , the posting about ball movement is spot on. Not sure how anyone can refute that.

Players want freedom. In our program, some seem to get much more than others. Perhaps that’s a product of what they (coaches) see in practice. I do know that Bristows athleticism doesn’t come around here to often.
The lack of ball movement is out of necessity. Our guards are not strong enough to handle the ball or gain ground with the pass. We would end up getting pressured and running our offense from 5 feet behind the 3 point line. Ryan's dribbling gave us our best chance to win. Bristow might've been the worst at putting the ball above her head and getting pushed out and turning it over. We simply didn't have the skill or strength with the ball to run a motion offense.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I thought Bristow was a good player as much as anyone and I'm as disappointed as anyone to see her go...but. She has to do what she wants, and it sounds like she's homesick and wants more playing time. I think she would've gotten more next year, but I don't know outside of a few minutes here and there in games where she was more 'on', I don't know if she was the answer this year. She's a good player and I think will do well, but there were a not-insignificant amount of times where she looked out of sorts on defense and sometimes just not prepared at all. That'll improve with time. I wish that time was at ISU, but sometimes that's not in the cards.

But your comment just smacks of not realizing that things have changed. I don't think board "experts" are good with her departure, but I think everyone understands that it's almost impossible nowadays to keep an entire team together from one season to the next when you're a school the size of Iowa State. Things are clearly on the up for next year (barring any more departures and I'll eat my words), and I'm not going to let one transfer completely pop that bubble. Audi, Addy, Emily and the rest deserve our support and trust after their effort this year. I'm excited to see how our new recruits like Alisa Williams and Aili Tanke fit in with our core squad.
Pure speculation on my part but I suspect Bristow's role never recovered from her performance in the Iowa game. 2-11 with a clear attempt to shoot every time she got the ball. I have no clue what she was trying to prove in that game.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
If you dig back through a couple of my write ups you find some commentary about how ball movement improved when the five were in together. Their energy was amazing. But I believe that was mostly preseason and early conference play. The team evolved. Audi was able to handle more and more minutes. AB emerged as a playmaker and all around player. We saw the energy Joens brought to the floor. AJ turned into a good defender and ball handler. She had grit. The one that didn’t develop as fast was Bristow. BUT she still showed frequent signs of what she could become. Because of that I just have a hard time believing theories that she "saw the writing on the wall" in relation to future playing time. I have always said and still believe she had the greatest upside of any of the fab five compared to where she was at the end of the season.

Thinking this would be the AB/AC show is crazy…the more fire power we have the better the team is. Just look at the 99 and 00 teams.

Last edited:

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
The lack of ball movement is out of necessity. Our guards are not strong enough to handle the ball or gain ground with the pass. We would end up getting pressured and running our offense from 5 feet behind the 3 point line. Ryan's dribbling gave us our best chance to win. Bristow might've been the worst at putting the ball above her head and getting pushed out and turning it over. We simply didn't have the skill or strength with the ball to run a motion offense.
Which would lead me e to think upgrades are necessary in the guard court. I mean, this offensive philosophy wasn’t exclusive to this year.

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
Pure speculation on my part but I suspect Bristow's role never recovered from her performance in the Iowa game. 2-11 with a clear attempt to shoot every time she got the ball. I have no clue what she was trying to prove in that game.
I can’t disagree with the overall theme of this post, but we are comparing teams from 25 years ago. Those teams were fun! Great ball movement. Recent trends indicate a more individual approach. One player seems to get favor with the staff and get a bit more leeway. Maybe just the way I’ve seen it.

Unfortunately if you are on the outside it might be tough to get back ‘in’.

And it’s all speculation maybe she just didn’t like it here. Unless someone knows her and asks, we are just guessing.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Which would lead me e to think upgrades are necessary in the guard court. I mean, this offensive philosophy wasn’t exclusive to this year.
I agree, getting another strong ball handler alongside Ryan would be huge. Jackson can handle backup duties, but she wasn't a threat to drive and score. A player that can handle pressure and blow by a defender to score would be a great addition.

Opponents knew they could get into everyone on the perimeter, but Ryan is the only one capable of making them pay. When you're a threat to drive, it keeps the defense off of you and allows for easier passes to the wing.

We did improve at hitting the skip pass when the defense was collapsing on Crooks before the post entry. Brown was especially good at it. But we decided that getting it into Crooks by any means necessary was our best offense, and it got results. Our coaches are definitely not offensive scheming savants, I'll give you that.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I can’t disagree with the overall theme of this post, but we are comparing teams from 25 years ago. Those teams were fun! Great ball movement. Recent trends indicate a more individual approach. One player seems to get favor with the staff and get a bit more leeway. Maybe just the way I’ve seen it.

And it’s all speculation maybe she just didn’t like it here. Unless someone knows her and asks, we are just guessing.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

Our coaches are definitely stubborn in their overreliance on players they trust. Building confidence and letting them play are not strengths of this staff. I agree with your analysis overall, but the calculus has changed with Audi in the middle. I hope we can add a ball handler and/or give Brown more playmaking duties. I wouldn't hesitate to let her bring the ball up the court and get us into the offense.

• Agree
Reactions: bozclone

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If you dig back through a couple of my right ups you find some commentary about how ball movement improved when the five were in together. Their energy was amazing. But I believe that was mostly preseason and early conference play. The team evolved. Audi was able to handle more and more minutes. AB emerged as a playmaker and all around player. We saw the energy Joens brought to the floor. AJ turned into a good defender and ball handler. She had grit. The one that didn’t develop as fast was Bristow. BUT she still showed frequent signs of what she could become. Because of that I just have a hard time believing theories that she "saw the writing on the wall" in relation to future playing time. I have always said and still believe she had the greatest upside of any of the fab five compared to where she was at the end of the season.

Thinking this would be the AB/AC show is crazy…the more fire power we have the better the team is. Just look at the 99 and 00 teams.
This is what I don't understand she plays a different position then either of them. Brown is a wing much like our previous All American SF. Bristow was gritty our final two loses. If she put on a little muscle in the off season she could of been our Angel Reese without the drama.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
The primary goal(s) of every college basketball team is to win regular season conference titles and go deep into the NCAA tournament.

In 29 seasons, CBF has never won an outright regular season title, tying for the title only once (99-00).

Under CBF's guidance, ISU has made 23 NCAA Tournament Appearances, with 8 - First Round Exits, 9 - Second Round Exits, 4 Sweet Sixteen Appearances and 2 Elite 8 Appearances (1998-99 & 2008-09). Yes, ISU has exited three of every four NCAA tournaments we've appeared in with zero or one victories.

Obviously, CFB wins a significant number of games (.661 winning percentage at ISU) - just as obvious, he doesn't win them when it comes to regular season conference titles or Final Four appearances (zero).

CBF is well-compensated, ranking #23 amongst all WBB coaches as of March 2024, and #2 in the Big XII behind only Vic Schaefer at Texas. As a point of reference, Jennie Baranczyk at OU makes less than Bill and has won twice as many Big XII titles in only three years at the helm.

The first sentence is my opinion, but everything which follows is fact. It's the age-old argument, do you need to win titles to be considered "great"? I subscribe to the theory you do, so I'm not as enamored of CBF as the majority of the board. It doesn't help my frame of mind when we lose a player like Jalynn Bristow, whom I viewed as a key piece moving forward in a watered-down Big XII conference.

Don't shoot the messenger - address the FACTS and give me your "take" - I'm truly interested in the unblinking loyalty, especially from those of you who've closely followed or had season tickets for decades (mred, Shadow, NWIACY, Acoustimac, etc.).

swclone11

Feb 17, 2024
The first sentence is my opinion, but everything which follows is fact. It's the age-old argument, do you need to win titles to be considered "great"? I subscribe to the theory you do, so I'm not as enamored of CBF as the majority of the board. It doesn't help my frame of mind when we lose a player like Jalynn Bristow, whom I viewed as a key piece moving forward in a watered-down Big XII conference.
I'm not going to go into every point because it's clear you have a negative frame of mind from the last time that I addressed your comments, but I think it's really important to understand that every off-season, teams like Iowa State, K-State, hell even Michigan State and Tennessee are going to be under siege. Schools with money will come calling. We have (thus far) kept Crooks, Brown, Joens, and Jackson. Add in Ryan, Williams, Tanke, etc. and we've got a good core. Sure, we lost Bristow. That sucks. But expecting us not to lose anybody in modern times is kind of naive. I don't know how you watch what happened this year and come away with the take that Fennelly is washed or not helping our success. Sometimes there we things that were frustrating, sure - that happens under every coach, every year. But he also took a group of 5 freshman to the Second Round, runner-up Big 12 tournament, and forced a legendary coach in Tara VanDerveer to a scrappy overtime where we had a shot to win - all while our best performer had a bad night. I'm not so interested in litigating years' ago history where context may have been lost compared to the proven results on the court this year.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
The primary goal(s) of every college basketball team is to win regular season conference titles and go deep into the NCAA tournament.

In 29 seasons, CBF has never won an outright regular season title, tying for the title only once (99-00).

Under CBF's guidance, ISU has made 23 NCAA Tournament Appearances, with 8 - First Round Exits, 9 - Second Round Exits, 4 Sweet Sixteen Appearances and 2 Elite 8 Appearances (1998-99 & 2008-09). Yes, ISU has exited three of every four NCAA tournaments we've appeared in with zero or one victories.

Obviously, CFB wins a significant number of games (.661 winning percentage at ISU) - just as obvious, he doesn't win them when it comes to regular season conference titles or Final Four appearances (zero).

CBF is well-compensated, ranking #23 amongst all WBB coaches as of March 2024, and #2 in the Big XII behind only Vic Schaefer at Texas. As a point of reference, Jennie Baranczyk at OU makes less than Bill and has won twice as many Big XII titles in only three years at the helm.

Don't shoot the messenger - address the FACTS and give me your "take" - I'm truly interested in the unblinking loyalty, especially from those of you who've closely followed or had season tickets for decades (mred, Shadow, NWIACY, Acoustimac, etc.).
You are relentless. Go be an Oklahoma fan.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Look at ISUs record in the years prior to BF. Take a look at how many teams in our country, let alone our conference, that would love to have the records you’ve outlined.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron