WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Will be interesting to see how her game translates at the next level. She has good size, but not crazy size. Her entire game is about being physical and out-muscling her opponents on the boards, on D, with her post offense. That's going to get a lot tougher to do in the WNBA. She doesn't have an outside shot, she's not really a slasher. I think she might struggle for a while, especially if she comes in wearing that crown.
This article speaks to a lot of that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-can-w...-angel-reese-at-the-next-level-212811595.html

The summary is: CC is the #1 pick and will stick with a team but she does need to improve her defense and her physicality. Reese is a maybe and could very well end up like many WNBA players who bounce from team to team because there just aren't enough spots. I'm afraid for Ms. Reese, her 15 minutes are almost up.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Will be interesting to see how her game translates at the next level. She has good size, but not crazy size. Her entire game is about being physical and out-muscling her opponents on the boards, on D, with her post offense. That's going to get a lot tougher to do in the WNBA. She doesn't have an outside shot, she's not really a slasher. I think she might struggle for a while, especially if she comes in wearing that crown.

She won't likely be as able to miss her shot and grab it again for a 2nd try in the WNBA. Will be interesting to see how the draft predictions are adjusted after today. Will have to check and see who the "experts" think my Lynx might want.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
This article speaks to a lot of that.

https://sports.yahoo.com/what-can-w...-angel-reese-at-the-next-level-212811595.html

The summary is: CC is the #1 pick and will stick with a team but she does need to improve her defense and her physicality. Reese is a maybe and could very well end up like many WNBA players who bounce from team to team because there just aren't enough spots. I'm afraid for Ms. Reese, her 15 minutes are almost up.
Agree, especially with her defense. But I think CC is going to settle into a role as more of a true PG, she'll get points but I see her thriving more as an elite passer dishing to her two All-Star bigs. I think people who assume she'll average 20+ ppg and continue launching logo 3s in bunches at the next level are kidding themselves. I think she's going to be a floor general and rack up massive assist numbers.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Agree, especially with her defense. But I think CC is going to settle into a role as more of a true PG, she'll get points but I see her thriving more as an elite passer dishing to her two All-Star bigs. I think people who assume she'll average 20+ ppg and continue launching logo 3s in bunches at the next level are kidding themselves. I think she's going to be a floor general and rack up massive assist numbers.
That's essentially what the article says. I didn't bother to look it up, but they mention someone high scoring PG who went from college to the WNBA and didn't have nearly the same scoring output, but was a great passer.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
That's essentially what the article says. I didn't bother to look it up, but they mention someone high scoring PG who went from college to the WNBA and didn't have nearly the same scoring output, but was a great passer.
Kelsey Plum is a good example: great scorer during college. Bill Laimbeer, the previous Las Vegas Aces HC, was able to convert her into a lockdown defender. When Laimbeer retired and Hammon stepped in, she became a much more complete player: can defend and can score.
But Plum is really fiery: she doesn't whine, doesn't complain. She just gets even.
If CC keeps on looking for refs to give her calls, she'll be eaten alive. the WNBA is extremely physical

CloneSt8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 1, 2011
Wanting to see what Ayoka Lee decides. Predicting she stays at KSU.
With the health issues that Lee has experienced in her time at KSU, I would seriously consider going pro while she can. Otherwise she might not have the body to last in the pros - too banged up.

Reactions: acoustimac

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The champ game for the Not Invited Tournament is set. Since it's my local Gophers I might tune in. Maybe not if weather to too nice.

Help Support Us

Become a patron