WBB: General All-NCAA Thread - Not Team Cyclones Stuff

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

It's the one thing I've said about the rise in women's basketball. It's there, and CC absolutely took it to a level most never thought could be achieved. However, in saying that, Paige is right. CC should get the most attention because she clearly drives numbers BUT if we want to make this a sustainable growth where it climbs every year and can be what us fans want it to be all of the time, they need to drive home other stories and players too. Because next year, CC isn't here to save you.

Now, it is a product, and like it or not, the way CC and Angel Reese play is what sells. People want storylines, feuds, trash talk, etc. It's not my cup of tea at all, but the public wants it. So players need to help drive it forward too by being unique and give people a reason to tune in until everyone understands that women's basketball at the level we have seen in the tournament is absolutely fantastic to watch.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

She's very carefully crafted her "brand" since HS in my district. Her freshman year she was thee WBB "It Girl" and first one with a huge social media impact so that is pretty easy for her to say now. She's reportedly very fussy about org/business's she does deals with but she's still reportedly worth 1.5M.

One thing I'll give Clark over Bueckers is that Clark elected to stay home over going to an elite or blue blood and that's part of the story. I was 100% convinced Clark would go to ND. UConn went to 12 straight Final Fours in the years before Bueckers. At UConn you are guaranteed a Sweet Sixteen and a shot at the Final Four almost every year. Final Four would have been a lot harder and challenging if she had elected to play for the Gophers so I am not entirely buying her "selflessness". There no doubt in my mind she wants to be #1 again.

Reactions: undersized_post

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
She's very carefully crafted her "brand" since HS in my district. Her freshman year she was thee WBB "It Girl" and first one with a huge social media impact so that is pretty easy for her to say now. She's reportedly very fussy about org/business's she does deals with but she's still reportedly worth 1.5M.

One thing I'll give Clark over Bueckers is that Clark elected to stay home over going to an elite or blue blood and that's part of the story. I was 100% convinced Clark would go to ND. UConn went to 12 straight Final Fours in the years before Bueckers. At UConn you are guaranteed a Sweet Sixteen and a shot at the Final Four almost every year. Final Four would have been a lot harder and challenging if she had elected to play for the Gophers so I am not entirely buying her "selflessness". There no doubt in my mind she wants to be #1 again.
The problem is CC was going to UConn had Geno offered her. So it wasn't entirely like she stayed for the home state team. She has made it very public she wanted to be at UConn, and that will be talked about tonight during the broadcast, as it's been peppered over the media the last couple of days.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Not a huge Geno fan but minute 102 in this video is very telling.

I don't know much about Geno, just heard he's considered kind of a doosher, but from that video I kind of like him. I've seen the antics of some youth players who think they're in the NBA and it's beyond obnoxious.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
ehI don't know much about Geno, just heard he's considered kind of a doosher, but from that video I kind of like him. I've seen the antics of some youth players who think they're in the NBA and it's beyond obnoxious.
Geno Auriemma is really misunderstood. Since being out in CT and having my wife, who is a UConn grad and women's basketball nut, I have gotten to see so many UConn women's games, talked to Geno in person and seen him in more of the every day life. The dude is really smart and doesn't BS. He tells it like it is, is very old school (but not in the Bob Knight way) and cares about his program and kids very similar to Bill for our women.

Here's the deal, of course Geno would want to have Caitlin from a talent standpoint, he isn't stupid. However, she absolutely would not fit in at UConn. They are program first at all times. They do not care about the name on the back of the jersey. It is a culture, a system and way of doing things that players must stick to. And honestly, it's better Caitlin didn't go there because then she wouldn't be Caitlin. Her actions on the court and how she plays would not fly at UConn (and that's not talking about her complaining to the officials, which definitely wouldn't fly. But even the body language and other quirks she has doesn't mesh with UConn).

It worked out for both parties. Elena Delle Donne didn't fit in at UConn, and she was phenomenal. Sometimes the player just doesn't mesh with the program. Caitlin at Iowa State wouldn't mesh well either.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Geno Auriemma is really misunderstood. Since being out in CT and having my wife, who is a UConn grad and women's basketball nut, I have gotten to see so many UConn women's games, talked to Geno in person and seen him in more of the every day life. The dude is really smart and doesn't BS. He tells it like it is, is very old school (but not in the Bob Knight way) and cares about his program and kids very similar to Bill for our women.

Here's the deal, of course Geno would want to have Caitlin from a talent standpoint, he isn't stupid. However, she absolutely would not fit in at UConn. They are program first at all times. They do not care about the name on the back of the jersey. It is a culture, a system and way of doing things that players must stick to. And honestly, it's better Caitlin didn't go there because then she wouldn't be Caitlin. Her actions on the court and how she plays would not fly at UConn (and that's not talking about her complaining to the officials, which definitely wouldn't fly. But even the body language and other quirks she has doesn't mesh with UConn).

It worked out for both parties. Elena Delle Donne didn't fit in at UConn, and she was phenomenal. Sometimes the player just doesn't mesh with the program. Caitlin at Iowa State wouldn't mesh well either.
I think this was the reason that CC didn't end up at ND (despite committed to them).
EDD I think was homesick, she wanted to be close to her sister (who has disability)

IIRC someone posted that there was no chemistry among CC and our players when she had her official visit here.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I think this was the reason that CC didn't end up at ND (despite committed to them).
EDD I think was homesick, she wanted to be close to her sister (who has disability)

IIRC someone posted that there was no chemistry among CC and our players when she had her official visit here.
Yes Elena was homesick, which may have been the reason it wasn’t working. All I know is the chemistry wasn’t there with the UConn players as well, which lead to the homesickness too. And again it has to work for both parties.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA

Your very last point is one I’ve made in several conversations with folks. The Iowa homers all jump to, "you’d take CC in a heartbeat." I always said yes, but her antics wouldn’t fly. Of course they think any coach would let her do what she does. Players reflect coaching and CC perfectly reflects her head coach.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Watching this shitfest between SCarolina n NCST…..good gawd they can’t shoot, are slow, undisciplined…… are the Sukeyes going to win this effin thing ??

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Watching this shitfest between SCarolina n NCST…..good gawd they can’t shoot, are slow, undisciplined…… are the Sukeyes going to win this effin thing ??

I had a similar impression watching that game last year. Most of their success seems to be from how big and tall they are?

At the same time, 36-0 doesn't happen by accident.

cyclone82

Sep 22, 2022
Either way….. come Sunday night/Monday morning at the latest all this CC **** will be OVER…. Hopefully tonight !!!

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
South Carolina reminds me of that 14-15 Kentucky team. Athletes everywhere but skills are a little not great.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I had a similar impression watching that game last year. Most of their success seems to be from how big and tall they are?

At the same time, 36-0 doesn't happen by accident.
I felt certain LSUs athleticism would beat Iowa despite the LSU dysfunction. At this point, I won’t be shocked if Iowa wins it all.

I feel like SC is a much improved team from the one Iowa beat last year. But no one gave Iowa a chance last year either.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Yeah I actually think Iowa definitely wins this title. South Carolina may be one of the least impressive undefeated teams in the women’s game. Now, defensively they are good BUT they won’t be able to defend what Iowa does best, which is Clark dropping bombs or facilitating with the quick guards.

Iowa is going to pack the paint and dare South Carolina to make threes just like last year. Gamecocks will have to make them or it will be a repeat of last year imo.

Help Support Us

Become a patron