When do you think you will buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

When will you buy a 100% pure electric vehicle?

• Already Own One

Votes: 41 5.6%
  • In the next year

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • Between 1-5 years

Votes: 131 17.8%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 176 24.0%
  • 10+ years or never

Votes: 378 51.5%

• Total voters

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So how does the speed work? Like does it always go exactly the speed limit when possible? Or can you tweak it in the app?
No, there are different settings and one of them allows it to drive with the flow of traffic. Out on the highway, I can also adjust the speed up to 85mph. For my taste, it really controls the speed well. On 86th street, which is 35mph, it was driving about 41. There are also different settings that you can adjust on the fly as far a FSD. “Chill,” “Average,” and “Assertive. I use average.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A few other settings:
  • Chill
    This profile requires a greater speed difference between your set speed and the car in front of you before making a speed-based lane change.
  • Minimal lane changes
    This setting reduces or eliminates lane changes that your car doesn't think are necessary to get you to your destination.
  • Automatic Set Speed Offset
    This option allows Autopilot to determine the most natural driving speed based on road type, traffic, and other conditions.
  • Fixed
    This option adjusts the cruising speed by a specific amount on all roads.
  • Percentage
    This option adjusts the cruising speed as a percentage of the road's detected speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: Gunnerclone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We’re about to hit 3,000 miles on our model 3 and have been completely happy with it. Not a single problem yet. That’s obviously very early but imagine we will keep an EV sedan as our second car (have an SUV for getting kids around and longer trips) for commuting to work and running errands in the city.

Just saw the free month of full self driving although I will admit I’m kind of freaked out about trying it.
So let me get this straight...this is a built in feature of a vehicle you buy but you have to subscribe to use it?

Sounds terrible.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So let me get this straight...this is a built in feature of a vehicle you buy but you have to subscribe to use it?

Sounds terrible.
You can also buy it and not subscribe. I wish my Kia had an option to not pay for the navigation that was added to the price, I've never used it once. I think it's BMW that is moving to the subscription model where you pay monthly for features like heated seats. I agree, it's ridiculous. The good thing is that no one is making you buy anything.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You can also buy it and not subscribe. I wish my Kia had an option to not pay for the navigation that was added to the price, I've never used it once. I think it's BMW that is moving to the subscription model where you pay monthly for features like heated seats. I agree, it's ridiculous. The good thing is that no one is making you buy anything.

So all those extra cameras to support this feature came free on the car? Or the extra processing power needed, Tesla just writes those parts off as losses for customer that don’t subscribe to the feature?

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
All of the standard cameras and basic auto pilot features are free: this is the full “plug in an address and let the car drive there by itself without you doing anything” that is the subscription service.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
So all those extra cameras to support this feature came free on the car? Or the extra processing power needed, Tesla just writes those parts off as losses for customer that don’t subscribe to the feature?
Those cameras are also used for Autopilot, which is free. Autopilot is similar to what other vehicles have with smart cruise. Those cameras cost approximately $10. So yeah, the extra $40 Tesla wraps into the price

Edit. Just realized that my Kia has three cameras, so yes$30 more.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Those cameras are also used for Autopilot, which is free. Autopilot is similar to what other vehicles have with smart cruise. Those cameras cost approximately $10. So yeah, the extra $40 Tesla wraps into the price

There is a significantly different level of computing power needed to locate lane lines for a hands free cruise control vs identifying obstacles and reacting to them for a self driving car.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
There is a significantly different level of computing power needed to locate lane lines for a hands free cruise control vs identifying obstacles and reacting to them for a self driving car.
It's literally the same concept as vehicles with built in GPS or Satellite radio that require an optional subscription. Obviously, the cost is baked in somewhere and the manufacturers are banking on the idea they'll get enough subs to make up for the GPS/cameras/sensors/processing power.

I bet you'd be borderline hard-pressed to find moderately equipped vehicles in 2024 that DON'T have something superfluous with the hopes you'll subscribe.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Ok, what do you think that costs Tesla? I think this has a lot more to do with the code than the processing power. It's kind of like you buying a 4k TV and only ever watching HD content.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Ok, what do you think that costs Tesla? I think this has a lot more to do with the code than the processing power.
I've seen the prices for the self driving components Deere is using for the autonomous tractors and they aren't cheap. They aren't using standard video cameras like your back-up camera to enable self driving plus there are several nvidea or similar gpus needed and likely a seperate controller. The part cost is in the $1000's for everything.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There is little demand for self-driving cars, and few are going to spring for the ability to work in your car while you motor your way to work. The gold mine for self-driving vehicles is semi's going down the interstate, controlled by a computer, and monitored by a person sitting in an office hundreds of miles away. Corporations like Hy Vee could save millions by getting rid of their drivers, not have to worry about sending them on overnight hauls that require them to stay in a hotel and pay for a meal or two. Plug the path from Chariton to the store and let the computer do all the work. Cut a deal with Love's or some other station to refuel them and send them on their way. Every shipping company in the US will save millions per year.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Ok, what do you think that costs Tesla? I think this has a lot more to do with the code than the processing power. It's kind of like you buying a 4k TV and only ever watching HD content.

I’m not concerned with how much it’s costing Tesla, cause they aren’t eating that cost. It’s built into the base price of every car they sell. All that equipment, cameras, and wiring harnesses are adding hundreds to every car they sell. So you pay for it up front and then pay for the subscription later. It’s the only way to make a project like that look profitable. There aren’t enough people that want it to justify the cost. So they push that cost on to everyone who buys their cars, whether they subscribe or not.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Asking for help of the thread.

- looking to buy or lease within next 4-8 months.
- Needs to be PHEV or EV...I cannot fathom going back to the local $5-7 gas
- Would like something AWD for mountain backpacking trips 5-10 times a year, might consider non awd but not low clearance. I could rent something for those trips but would rather not.
- Don't want or need an actual truck, small crossover or SUV AWD is ideal
- If PHEV, needs decent gas mileage because sometimes I drive 4-12 hours on highway before I even get to the area where AWD is required...this is why Jeep 4xE isn't ideal

I'm just starting to look and I'm not remotely a "car guy" but ideas are...
- Honda Prologue EV
- Subaru Soltera EV
- Rav4 Prime PHEV
- Rivian probably too expensive unless I'm missing something

I had Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and it actually worked great for my AWD needs, great gas mileage in hybrid mode and plugging in made 80% of my daily driving electric. I know it's different around the country but I'm positive PHEV saved me at least a few thousand vs ICE model of same car. The down side of this car was there's practically no trunk space because they just stuck the battery in the trunk.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

- Would like something AWD for mountain backpacking trips 5-10 times a year, might consider non awd but not low clearance. I could rent something for those trips but would rather not.
- If PHEV, needs decent gas mileage because sometimes I drive 4-12 hours on highway before I even get to the area where AWD is required...this is why Jeep 4xE isn't ideal

- Honda Prologue EV
- Subaru Soltera EV
- Rav4 Prime PHEV

I had Subaru Crosstrek PHEV and it actually worked great for my AWD needs, great gas mileage in hybrid mode and plugging in made 80% of my daily driving electric. I know it's different around the country but I'm positive PHEV saved me at least a few thousand vs ICE model of same car. The down side of this car was there's practically no trunk space because they just stuck the battery in the trunk.
It really sounds like a phev is your best choice if you have to buy this year. It's too bad you can't wait because Rivian has some cheaper models coming. Also, the honda is based on a Chevy blazer, so consider that too.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

- Honda Prologue EV
- Subaru Soltera EV
- Rav4 Prime PHEV

Some folks on Climate Twitter have raved about the Rav4 Prime.

I really like my Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid so far so am partial to Toyota.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Some folks are Climate Twitter have raved about the Rav4 Prime.

I really like my Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid so far so am partial to Toyota.

I probably would have gotten it 3 years ago but the demand was through the roof at the time and they were selling for 10-15k over msrp in my area. Almost impossible to get one at the time and I needed something because my old car tanked with expensive repair.

Reactions: shadow

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I tend to be anti Toyota, because I feel like you give up a lot just for the reliability, which is now common with most brands. With that said, there is a new 4 runner coming out that is suppose to have a hybrid option.

I've owned 3 toyota's and they have all been super reliable. Very very boring and dated technology but solid as a rock.

• Funny
Reactions: simply1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've seen the prices for the self driving components Deere is using for the autonomous tractors and they aren't cheap. They aren't using standard video cameras like your back-up camera to enable self driving plus there are several nvidea or similar gpus needed and likely a seperate controller. The part cost is in the $1000's for everything.
I don't have an issue with charging more for the capability. Charge more, great. But it is stupid that you are buying all of the hardware in the car you are buying but have to pay extra every month to activate it.

Help Support Us

Become a patron