Worst city in Iowa?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My hometown Sioux City shows up in this debate far less now that sewage treatment and the stockyards aren't right next to I29 creating the worst "welcome" smell imaginable.

The stockyards economic impact actually was worth the smell but that wasn't the perception.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I drive through a lot of depressing small towns on the back roads to Waterloo. Albion is one that comes to mind.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Interesting thread. I've traveled the entire state for the last 25 years and there aren't many towns or cities I haven't passed thru. I can find something to like in almost all of them! Mason City has amazing Prairie Style architecture. I like Ottumwa and Burlington - too many idle buildings but they're trying to do something with them. Fort Dodge has some beautiful churches. Sioux City boasts amazing architectural diversity in their downtown. I'm not going to name a "worst" city, but the two which make me saddest are Fort Madison and Keokuk.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
There are 500ish brand new homes south of 20 and they're building all the time and just starting on another 200ish homes around Orange Township. Downtown is re-invigorated and full of shops, businesses, bars and restaurants. Crossroads died like all malls died.

The new high school, which they're budgeting to be more expensive than Cedar Falls and Waukee Northwest, along with the school re-organization is a game changer for the city and surrounding areas.

Is the North end still rough in places? Sure but the city has also worked hard to get that end of town a new grocery store and community center and other projects planned and coming on line.

Would have wholeheartedly agreed with you 15 years ago but two consecutive good mayors and people willing to invest has really turned things around. Get back for a weekend and you won't even recognize it.
I invest in Cedar Valley and have numerous projects going on, so I'm fully aware of what is going on. In the last 10+ years our projects in commercial real estate have turned more to CF for numerous reason and has proven to be the better investment. This graph is pretty good indication of what has happen to the
Waterloo...
1712877322781.png

As I mentioned earlier, I'm glad to see them investing in the schools. Unfortunately the city can't maintain 2-high schools anymore(use to be 3) and had to make major changes. For Waterloo to be competitive vs CF they needed this new high school. Jared Smith your Superintendent is a true Waterloo guy and will do wonders for that district.

Those new builds are closer to Hudson then Waterloo. Which I'm glad to see them building, but doesn't help the heart of the city.

Like I said, I'm Waterloo guy and have great pride for the city, but it has taken a step back. I view it as a less desirable city within Iowa.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
When I first really spent time there (2007) it was a f*cking dump. It has so much more going on now, that combined with CF I view it as a mostly good place
My last year in the CV was 2006 and Waterloo was rough at the time. A lot of gang, drug issues and poor performing schools (East High was drop out U/highest drop out rate and it wasn't even close). Way back in the day CF was just UNI and the hill. CF seized their opportunity the last 25 years and they have capitalized on it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I knew a few people would pipe up about Dubuque. I'll admit it has gotten better than it was 10-20 years ago.
I think it’s a lot more than just not bad. I don’t see how anyone can travel this state and not see Dubuque as one of the bright spots. It seems like one of the few large towns in Iowa that isn’t either a dump or boring, sterile chain-filled suburbia.

And there are some nice mid- and small towns, but in my travels over the past decades these seem to mostly be in gradual decline.

Reactions: bosoxclone

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Spring Hill (not a city) between Norwalk and Indianola would be up there on the list. If you like meth then this is the place for you.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
A county seat town and/or a college town are. usually pretty nice places to live. Places like Gilbert and Story City are pretty nice but a lot of the focus is on the larger town where people go to work.
Can you even classify Gilbert as a town? It’s just houses and schools, an orthodontist and some dump where you can pay to cook your own steak.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Can you even classify Gilbert as a town? It’s just houses and schools, an orthodontist and some dump where you can pay to cook your own steak.
There is a Casey's out to east and it has an elevator and seed store. Beautiful little town, built a new high school a few years ago and are starting to build a new elementary building this year I believe. Easy drive to Ames, what 10 minutes from the Ames mall and North Wal Mart. You could live in a lot of worst places than Gilbert.

Reactions: WartburgClone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Had a buddy that was an EMT. Said he would bring spare clothes in case he had to go to Lehigh. Then those clothes went into the garbage. He said there weren’t always bedbugs or fleas, but only in the places where the meth cooking made for too inhospitable environment.