Recommended Contractor(s)- Des Moines

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
Hi all.

I live in Pleasant Hill- we had some tornado damage. Fortunately the touchdown was a few blocks away so it could have been worse…

We are going to need to replace siding (and patch some holes), roof, fence, deck, garage door, gutters, and some other minor repairs.

Does anyone have recommendations for contractors in the DSM area who they have had a good experience with?

I’ll attach a few pictures for those interested…

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1130.jpeg
    IMG_1130.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1127.jpeg
    IMG_1127.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1125.jpeg
    IMG_1125.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1124.jpeg
    IMG_1124.jpeg
    362 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1123.jpeg
    IMG_1123.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 34

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
It’s been a couple of decades but when we lived in West Des Moines, Bakeris Roofing did most of our neighborhood once after a storm. When they were done, we found one nail in the yard, that was it. Also only tore off what they could put on in a day.

cydnote

Oct 24, 2023
Sometimes your insurance agent can provide you with recommendations from those that they have worked with in the past. If you are like most CF'ers on here you are self insured AND can do the work yourself so that wouldn't be an option

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
NuVu Builders in Grimes was our contractor for roof and siding a few years ago after out hail storm. I believe Tony sold the business and retired last year.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Sorry for you and yours having to deal with this. Having had our roofing, gutters, siding, & garage doors done within the past year (Ames hails storms), I don't wish the experience of dealing with contractors & insurance on anyone. Some of my neighbors haven't even started repairs yet some 13 months later...

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I had a good experience with Waddle Exteriors after the deracho and when we had some minor repairs to do when selling the house.

Gutters, roof, and siding

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I had a good experience with Waddle Exteriors after the deracho and when we had some minor repairs to do when selling the house.

Gutters, roof, and siding

I had Waddle do ours after the derecho too, not a fan. Work got done, eventually, but one thing I value as someone who works in construction is communication, and my experience with them as far as that is concerned was abysmal.

• Winner
Reactions: mynameisjonas

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I had Waddle do ours after the derecho too, not a fan. Work got done, eventually, but one thing I value as someone who works in construction is communication, and my experience with them as far as that is concerned was abysmal.
Interesting. I worked with the group out of Story City and didn't have issues with communication.

But this is generally what you'll see with recommendation threads. Either good or bad experiences rarely a consensus on good.

Reactions: AllInForISU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Interesting. I worked with the group out of Story City and didn't have issues with communication.

But this is generally what you'll see with recommendation threads. Either good or bad experiences rarely a consensus on good.

The person I worked directly with could have been the problem and not the company. Like I said, the work was fine, but my main point of contact was horrible.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Hi all.

I live in Pleasant Hill- we had some tornado damage. Fortunately the touchdown was a few blocks away so it could have been worse…

We are going to need to replace siding (and patch some holes), roof, fence, deck, garage door, gutters, and some other minor repairs.

Does anyone have recommendations for contractors in the DSM area who they have had a good experience with?

I’ll attach a few pictures for those interested…
It’s probably already been said but be sure to hire someone local. There will be storm chasers swooping in looking for work. If they don’t have a 515 area code, be wary.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Waddle homes seemed the last homes to be fixed in our neighborhood. From talking with my neighbors Waddle really tried to nickel and dime the insurance companies.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Still waiting to get repaired from the March '23 storm in Ames. State Farm has been a disaster to work with. Heartland did a ton of work in our neighborhood and seemed to get it done the quickest. We are using TMJ (I believe they have a Grimes location too) and they have been ok to work with but communication hasn't been great. I think that's kind of the nature of the beast when they're working with so many people. Their owner told me last week they still have over 75 houses to do in Ames from that storm.

I've heard decent things about Superstorm Restoration from folks in Ankeny after a hail storm 6 or 7 years ago.