‘22 Public Scrimmage #2/3

Cyville55

Oct 10, 2009
Starting new thread regarding the Open Practice at Gilbert tonight. Does anyone know what type of activities they are planning for the kids? Debating on bundling the kids up if it's worth it.

Reactions: isutrevman

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
My wife and her parents were there but they aren’t much for football analysis. I asked how they looked, FIL said “dekkers didn’t throw a ball that wasn’t a spiral” followed by MIL asking “Is that good or bad?”

I got there right after it ended so wasn’t able to watch. Was hoping for an update on improvements from the practice in Ames.

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I was at practice earlier this week, did not attend the scrimmage. Dekkers is legit, “a much MUCH better athlete than Purdy” a former player who played with Brock told me. Norton was dinged up, riding the bike all practice. Jirehl and Sanders both looked good but we’ll definitely be taking a step back at RB this year. XH is a freak, looked awesome at practice. Greg Gaines looks the part, you can tell he’s young but is very talented. Rocco is going to be a stud and will be the #2 guy when the season starts. Myles Purchase is a dog, he’s gonna be real good for us this year. Our young safeties are BIG, fast, and look the part. I doubt we’ll see much 3 TE this year, all the TE’s just looked okay. Keegan Shackford is the starting kicker right now, I didn’t see Bittman even attempt a kick so not sure if he’s hurt or what. Punter is wide open right now.

I expect the team next year to have a different look than the team has looked the last 4 years. I think we’ll stretch the field more vertically and won’t have as much of a running game this next year. We’re young but very talented. I hope teams doubt us because we’ll prove them wrong.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I was at practice earlier this week, did not attend the scrimmage. Dekkers is legit, “a much MUCH better athlete than Purdy” a former player who played with Brock told me. Norton was dinged up, riding the bike all practice. Jirehl and Sanders both looked good but we’ll definitely be taking a step back at RB this year. XH is a freak, looked awesome at practice. Greg Gaines looks the part, you can tell he’s young but is very talented. Rocco is going to be a stud and will be the #2 guy when the season starts. Myles Purchase is a dog, he’s gonna be real good for us this year. Our young safeties are BIG, fast, and look the part. I doubt we’ll see much 3 TE this year, all the TE’s just looked okay. Keegan Shackford is the starting kicker right now, I didn’t see Bittman even attempt a kick so not sure if he’s hurt or what. Punter is wide open right now.

I expect the team next year to have a different look than the team has looked the last 4 years. I think we’ll stretch the field more vertically and won’t have as much of a running game this next year. We’re young but very talented. I hope teams doubt us because we’ll prove them wrong.
Good analysis. The position battle of punter is a sneaky important one this offseason. We need someone who can provide better consistency there.

I agree with your take on offense. Offense needs to be more wide open and I wouldn't mind us doing more 3 and 4 WR out wide, will open up the running game better. Oh and our downfield passing attack I think will be much better. Teams won't be able to stack the box on us as much I hope.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Good analysis. The position battle of punter is a sneaky important one this offseason. We need someone who can provide better consistency there.

I agree with your take on offense. Offense needs to be more wide open and I wouldn't mind us doing more 3 and 4 WR out wide, will open up the running game better. Oh and our downfield passing attack I think will be much better. Teams won't be able to stack the box on us as much I hope.
It’s not sneaky important. Anyone who watched us pre-Mevis last year knows its super damn important.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is the transfer WR from Colorado here right now, or does he show up in the summer?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
The Baylor game last year showed how important a punter can be. Their punter was the MVP of the game. Flipped the field position every time he kicked.
And the Iowa game, or really about every game. We were at a strong disadvantage at punter.

Reactions: Cyclad

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019

I reallllyyy hope the last part is true. I've felt for a while that going from Montgomery to Hall let ISU become too predictable running the ball, especially on early downs. Glad to see more reports of Dekkers being legit and love the combination of Hutchinson and Noel at receiver. Excited to see what they can do this year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Pardon me. You just caused a flashback to that damn Tech place kicker.

200.gif

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Rocco hit #16 (Jackson) on a 40 yard TD pass.
Dekkers is fast.
Some WRs (19 and ?) who I didn't recognize dropped passes they should have caught.
#34 RB had some nice runs.
Kickers made some 45ish yard field goals, but missed a shorter one.

Those were the things I remembered.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
  • Informative
Reactions: CYCLNST8 and t-noah

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
It’s not sneaky important. Anyone who watched us pre-Mevis last year knows its super damn important.
The first two punts looked like the Iowa game, but then the Navy guy hit two nice ones that were 40 plus yards with great hang time. Don't know if they were trying to place it out of bounds on the first/second, but we need to see the 3rd and 4th effort sconsistently come next fall, great hang time plus 45 yds.

Man on kickoffs, 45 (shackford i think) not only put it in the endzone; he kicked it over and out of the endzone in the air each time he kicked, he also hit 50 yard field goal.

Edit: And dont think it was necessarily wind aided as Nettles tried a couple also and his came down on the 5 (as usual), but he gave our coverage team some practice; going the same directiono_O

Last edited:

ClonesInDallas

Dec 16, 2020

It's April and I already desperately miss Mevis

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

Thanks for the insight

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron