The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
Iowa State football coach Matt Campbell (pictured) said Friday highly-regarded recruit Xavier Hutchinson “has been really impressive.” Photo credit: Sep 28, 2019; Waco, TX, USA; Iowa State Cyclones head coach Matt Campbell during the game between the Bears and the Cyclones at McLane Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-USA TODAY Sports

“He’s a true playmaker.”

That’s how Iowa State senior safety Lawrence White describes highly-touted JUCO transfer receiver Xavier Hutchinson, who is poised to make his Cyclones debut in the Sept. 12 season opener against Louisiana.

White — an emerging leader for ISU both on and off the field — elaborated a little. 

“He’s made some plays in practice that I know will transition to Saturday,” White said during a Friday Zoom interview with the media. “He makes plays, he’s a great teammate, he’s a leader. I’m definitely excited to see him.”

So what really makes a “true playmaker?”

Even Hutchinson, a 6-3...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Way to craft an excellent article out of some entirely discrete quotes, Rob!

It was interesting to me how, between White, Hutchinson and CMC, they managed to touch on almost every single scholarship player In the WR room as being impressive—and I’m guessing the one they missed is still working his way back into shape from a high school injury and sitting out a year.

That Xavier Hutchinson interview—he sounds like an excellent young man. I like him.

Go Cyclones!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Love Campbell's lines about him not being disappointing on any day in practice and everyday life. No wonder Xavier was scheduled to be featured in a press conference before ever playing a game.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Honestly I felt bad for Xavier. First Randy asks him why he went JUCO instead of going right to a 4 year college? Why do you think Randy? Xavier just tells him he had some things he had to take care of before he could go to a 4 year school.

And then the brilliant journalist, someone from the ISU Daily I believe, asks Xavier if he could go into what the "things" were that he needed to take care of? Seriously? Xavier told him that was kind of personal, but does tell him that he didn't take his school work seriously enough in high school.

It's obvious from this interview today that Xavier is a very bright kid, so I have no idea where Randy and this other guy were trying to go with this stupid questioning?

Some of these journalists need to be better.

Rob Gray did a great job of course as usual though! He's a professional....... unlike Randy and this other moron.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Honestly I felt bad for Xavier. First Randy asks him why he went JUCO instead of going right to a 4 year college? Why do you think Randy? Xavier just tells him he had some things he had to take care of before he could go to a 4 year school.

And then the brilliant journalist, someone from the ISU Daily I believe, asks Xavier if he could go into what the "things" were that he needed to take care of? Seriously? Xavier told him that was kind of personal, but does tell him that he didn't take his school work seriously enough in high school.

It's obvious from this interview today that Xavier is a very bright kid, so I have no idea where Randy and this other guy were trying to go with this stupid questioning?

Rob Gray did a great job of course as usual though! He's a professional....... unlike Randy and this other moron.

Sounds like he handled it well...sometimes I wish more players answered those kinds of questions like this though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Sounds like he handled it well...sometimes I wish more players answered those kinds of questions like this though.

That was awesome!

It would have been funny if Xavier said something like..... "yeah, I could have went to an awesome football school like OU with all their flashy facilities, best coaches, awesome history, etc.... or to ISU with their great coaches, great campus, and an awesome QB to throw me the ball...... but I just felt a lot more comfortable at the s**t show Blinn Community College in the middle of nowhere.".

Reactions: isutrevman

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Well, it was one thing for Randy to ask, because with Xavier having Navy parents, there might have been a “hidden gem” story there. He missed his senior year with an injury, or only caught three passes or something.

Whoever followed it up was a jerk though, maybe looking for a good “Oh, I stole a car” story.

Xavier handled that and the OU questions well. Basically: “Umm...I liked ISU better than OU, all right?”

I enjoyed this young man.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Help Support Us

Become a patron