11.2.15 Call-in Show Tidbits

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
Here's a few of the more interesting items the Jamie Pollard communicated during tonight's Cyclone call-in show:

• $14 dollar tickets will be on sale (on Thursday only?) for the Oklahoma State game. Seats are in the end zone upper deck.
  • In response to a caller question, Pollard said he is not in favor of changing the policy of allowing fans to leave the stadium at halftime and then return. Says it's part of the ISU game tradition.
  • Almost complete satisfaction from fans on the End Zone Club...turned out great.
  • The expanded and remodeled Johnny's sports club in Hilton is complete. The inner concourse has been widened near the new entrance to the club and the ISU basketball memorabilia will be visible from this vantage point.
  • The stadium groundskeeper are looking into what caused players slipping in the second half of the Texas game to determine what if anything can be done to provide better footing.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
  • The stadium groundskeeper are looking into what caused players slipping in the second half of the Texas game to determine what if anything can be done to provide better footing.

I was wondering about that. There were a few plays that reminded me of the EvilTurf from the early 90s

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Here's a few of the more interesting items the Jamie Pollard communicated during tonight's Cyclone call-in show:

• $14 dollar tickets will be on sale (on Thursday only?) for the Oklahoma State game. Seats are in the end zone upper deck.
  • In response to a caller question, Pollard said he is not in favor of changing the policy of allowing fans to leave the stadium at halftime and then return. Says it's part of the ISU game tradition.
  • Almost complete satisfaction from fans on the End Zone Club...turned out great.
  • The expanded and remodeled Johnny's sports club in Hilton is complete. The inner concourse has been widened near the new entrance to the club and the ISU basketball memorabilia will be visible from this vantage point.

That helped our defense.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Another interesting thing from Rhoads was that CB Sam Richardson broke his leg in the Iowa game warmup. Did we know this and I just missed it? I knew he was banged up but never knew why.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Also the call-in show was really good today. I know some listeners have troubles getting past some of the "difficult" callers but those were very limited today, like one or two. I wonder if they changed some things with their call screening or if it was by chance.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006

Ground was wet from dew. Not much you can do about that. Maybe wear longer cleats, keep the grass a little longer for more traction, find a way to warm the field, or bribe mother nature to lower the dew point?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

This may be fairly easy to explain.

With the above average temperatures (after earlier cool/cold spell) during the day, frost at night, higher humidity and recent rains during a shorter daylight period (turf can not dry sufficiently) have combined to make the actual grass more slippery as blades are more susceptible to crush more easily under the pressure of football play. Three other football games I watched, all in the north - two in the Midwest - had this problem.

Around Halloween the winds are typically out of the west-northwest and dry the field more and more generally cooler. It is something I have seen in the past but is very pronounced this season.

Last edited:

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center

With the above average temperatures (after earlier cool/cold spell) during the day, frost at night, higher humidity and recent rains during a shorter daylight period (turf can not dry sufficiently) have combined to make the actual grass more slippery as blades are more susceptible to crush more easily under the pressure of football play. Three other football games I watched, all in the north - two in the Midwest - had this problem.

Around Halloween the winds are typically out of the west-northwest and dry the field more and more generally cooler. It is something I have seen in the past but is very pronounced this season.

lookie here. we got us a book-lernin' groundskeeper.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Nerd alert!

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Texas would have had one of those dryers like they use on race tracks go around the field during time outs to dry the turf.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Maybe we should just practice on a damp field all the time & somehow influence the field to replicate that on gamedays, cause it did help our D a few times.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm just going to go with my brother's explanation. He credited those tackles to the ghost of Jack Trice. Even at about 110 years old that guy be laying dudes out!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Also the call-in show was really good today. I know some listeners have troubles getting past some of the "difficult" callers but those were very limited today, like one or two. I wonder if they changed some things with their call screening or if it was by chance.
Winning brought out the good guys.