110% Because of Terrible Scheme + Terrible QB's

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The OP proved how “right” he was by thinking there’s such a thing as “110%”. The rest of his (/her) “reasoning” appears equally as valid—at the passing glance it deserves.

• Agree
Reactions: chuckd4735

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I get so sick and tired of being right all the time but this pathetic 3.36 yards/play game could be seen coming our way for the last 11 months.

It just sucks that everyone so desperately wants to blame our OL when the root cause is how easy it is to defend a QB with a weak arm, slow wind up & release, and 0 pocket mobility. Kempt at QB means there's about 3 square yards on the field for the defense to defend.

Just wait till we get more talent on the OL (wait till we get more talent...story of ISU football since 1890. All these 3 star OL recruits aren't the 1980s Redskins Hogs).

We just don't have a fan base that understands "winning because of" and "winning in spite of" (like 14-7 vs TCU), so we don't demand more on offense or think how can we move the ball.

I was a little encouraged when vs SDSU we ran a counter trey (OU's bread & butter) then on the 1st drive today we mixed in some diversity with under center sets and 12 personnel, but how quickly we revert back to Mark Mangino zone dives on 1st & 10 from 4 WR sets.

Gee why can't we block anyone?

And can we get a motion handoff to Tarique or Kene to the outside?

Campbell's offense is a bland, uncreative joke that requires a bunch of 5 star OLs.

1000% this game is on CMC play calling....period end of discussion..and some of it on poor OL play in 4th qtr.

So Tired of this weak arm non sense and slow wind up etc...such a bunch of bs....did u know that KK was one of the top QB’s in country last year with a 2.2 second time from the snap to the time the ball is thrown...2.2 seconds.

Yea u might wanna do a little research first and actualy go back and watch games from last year..and to boot KK arm looks or looked better than last year

Piss poor ISU play calling cost ISU that game and its not close.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
After Iowa State’s first drive, Iowa started dropping one of their safeties into the box to take away the short passes over the middle, and dropped some DLmen into coverage on zone blitzes to do the same. It seemed like CMC was not expecting that, and was not able to make any adjustments to combat it.

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
I agree, I mean this looked like it was our OL’s first time going up against D1 talent this season.
It looked like the whole team hadn’t even played a game ALL YEAR!!!
We haven’t won a game all year and I blame the coaches, the QB’s AND the offensive line. Total garbage.

I went back and watched all the games the team played this year and I haven’t seen any improvement From game 2 to game 2. I agree...Pathetic.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
After Iowa State’s first drive, Iowa started dropping one of their safeties into the box to take away the short passes over the middle, and dropped some DLmen into coverage on zone blitzes to do the same. It seemed like CMC was not expecting that,
and was not able to make any adjustments to combat it.

Spot on. Hence the poor play calling that didn't react to the TOE's defensive adjustment.
The Oline will improve and I hope our punter's woes were just opening game jitters.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
One time the announcers said that it appeared that Campbell was keeping the play calling simple to not make mistakes. But the continued throwing Montgomery at the middle of the line was so Donnie Duncan or Paul Rhodes. Drank too much kool-aid...a bit of a hangover this morning.

Let's hope for some big improvement from game 1 to game 2 this week. Not only do we have a top 5 team coming in, but it's a top 5 team that remembers the results last year.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
1000% this game is on CMC play calling....period end of discussion..and some of it on poor OL play in 4th qtr.

So Tired of this weak arm non sense and slow wind up etc...such a bunch of bs....did u know that KK was one of the top QB’s in country last year with a 2.2 second time from the snap to the time the ball is thrown...2.2 seconds.

Yea u might wanna do a little research first and actualy go back and watch games from last year..and to boot KK arm looks or looked better than last year

I would argue that our coaches felt the ISU OL was much more capable yesterday than they proved to be and their failure to realize that early on and adapt cost us that game more than any individual player's effort on the field.

This team has weapons on offense all over the field. It was the game plan that failed to find a way to effectively use any of them. First game of the year, on the road, Power 5 rivalry game, I can understand why they would go in thinking the game would hinge on ball control keeping the score down and preventing turnovers, while leaning on a good defensive effort. The problem was in not being able to adapt the plan to find something effective in the second half, after Iowa settled in defensively during the second quarter.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

This post is spot on. This team we saw yesterday wasn't even the same team, play calling wise, as what we saw last year.... or even in our one series last week for that matter.

Go back and watch this video below and go to the 0:25 mark, the 1:50 mark, and the 2:14 mark. These plays would have torched Iowa yesterday, and would have opened up the run game too.

Just absolutely puzzling what we saw yesterday? I don't get it at all. We have a lot of amazing talent at the skill positions that we never utilized. Sorry, but this loss is 100% on CMC and his offensive (very offensive) play calling and strategy. Our OL vs Iowa's DL was a big disadvantage for us going in, everyone knew that, so you should have a game plan to use a quick, short passing game to beat it since your QB wasn't going to have time to throw and running into Iowa's DL wasn't going to work either.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This post is spot on. This team we saw yesterday wasn't even the same team, play calling wise, as what we saw last year.... or even in our one series last week for that matter.

Go back and watch this video below and go to the 0:25 mark, the 1:50 mark, and the 2:14 mark. These plays would have torched Iowa yesterday, and would have opened up the run game too.

Just absolutely puzzling what we saw yesterday? I don't get it at all. We have a lot of amazing talent at the skill positions that we never utilized. Sorry, but this loss is 100% on CMC and his offensive (very offensive) play calling and strategy. Our OL vs Iowa's DL was a big disadvantage for us going in, everyone knew that, so you should have a game plan to use a quick, short passing game to beat it since your QB wasn't going to have time to throw and running into Iowa's DL wasn't going to work either.

I'm bumping my own post because I seriously want to hear from people on why we saw none of the above plays from last years OU game yesterday? It's like this isn't even the same offense, or team, for that matter. If losing Manning is this dramatic of a difference, then we better pay him whatever he wants to come back.... like now!

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
No offense, he was never going to be in the Heisman running
I watched much of the Miss State vs KSU game. Miss State used an ordinary QB matched with an ordinary RB to consistently run for 10 yds up the middle. They did it by using very solid ball (hand off) fakes and taking turns carrying the ball. KK ball fakes/schemes are nonexistent.

Good news is that KSU looked inept, much like ISU today. Will be interesting to see how both teams develop as season goes on.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I watched much of the Miss State vs KSU game. Miss State used an ordinary QB matched with an ordinary RB to consistently run for 10 yds up the middle. They did it by using very solid ball (hand off) fakes and taking turns carrying the ball. KK ball fakes/schemes are nonexistent.

Good news is that KSU looked inept, much like ISU today. Will be interesting to see how both teams develop as season goes on.

I agree on the ball fakes. Last year vs. OU we had someone like Ryen or Murdock in motion behind KK when he handed it to Montgomery. That was at least always an option that the defense needed to account for instead of just crashing in on Montgomery all day. And then on some plays we would fake it to Montgomery up the gut and do the quick swing pass out to Ryen or Murdock that were just in motion behind KK. It really spreads the defense out sideline to sideline. We saw NONE of that yesterday.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I'm bumping my own post because I seriously want to hear from people on why we saw none of the above plays from last years OU game yesterday? It's like this isn't even the same offense, or team, for that matter. If losing Manning is this dramatic of a difference, then we better pay him whatever he wants to come back.... like now!
Not hiring an OC was always a head scratcher to me.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Not hiring an OC was always a head scratcher to me.

We not only didn't hire an OC, but we promoted a graduate assistant with no real experience to coach probably the most important unit on the team..... the OL.

Both of those moves could cost dearly I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong. The play calling yesterday was more vanilla than you'd see if we were playing against SE Rhode Island State Tech University. Why? Did we really think we could run up the gut all day against Iowa and eventually wear them down, or what? I seriously hope that isn't what CMC thought.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneCJ

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
We not only didn't hire an OC, but we promoted a graduate assistant with no real experience to coach probably the most important unit on the team..... the OL.

Both of those moves could cost dearly I'm afraid. I hope I'm wrong. The play calling yesterday was more vanilla than you'd see if we were playing against SE Rhode Island State Tech University. Why? Did we really think we could run up the gut all day against Iowa and eventually wear them down, or what? I seriously hope that isn't what CMC thought.

You can tweet questions to him for the coaches show tomorrow. You seem real smart, so you should definitely do this.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Was Manning not around the second half of last year? We struggled with a bad Memphis defense.
Yeah, our game plan wasn’t good, nearly as bad as last year’s UT game plan with Manning.

Not having an OC and/or promoting Meyers isn’t the issue, it's the personnel on the OL requiring more than a statue, game-manager QB that only makes a few throws. Life without Lazard will be harder for Kempt.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I get so sick and tired of being right all the time but this pathetic 3.36 yards/play game could be seen coming our way for the last 11 months.

It just sucks that everyone so desperately wants to blame our OL when the root cause is how easy it is to defend a QB with a weak arm, slow wind up & release, and 0 pocket mobility. Kempt at QB means there's about 3 square yards on the field for the defense to defend.

Just wait till we get more talent on the OL (wait till we get more talent...story of ISU football since 1890. All these 3 star OL recruits aren't the 1980s Redskins Hogs).

We just don't have a fan base that understands "winning because of" and "winning in spite of" (like 14-7 vs TCU), so we don't demand more on offense or think how can we move the ball.

I was a little encouraged when vs SDSU we ran a counter trey (OU's bread & butter) then on the 1st drive today we mixed in some diversity with under center sets and 12 personnel, but how quickly we revert back to Mark Mangino zone dives on 1st & 10 from 4 WR sets.

Gee why can't we block anyone?

And can we get a motion handoff to Tarique or Kene to the outside?

Campbell's offense is a bland, uncreative joke that requires a bunch of 5 star OLs.

I agree with that 2nd paragraph. OLine still didn’t perform but Kempt just doesn’t have the ability to spread this offense out.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I understand you are being sarcastic, but if it walks and quacks like a duck.......it is a duck.

I’m not. Obviously Campbell is an idiot and needs a bunch of smart people to tell him what to do. Can’t complain unless you do something about it.