12 men in the huddle

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I was wondering the same thing - Iowa had ZERO penalties called against them by the B1G officiating crew, which is a statistical improbability. I can't imagine there are many teams with ZERO flags thrown against them in an entire game over the course of an average NCAA season. Of course, ISU was only called for two penalties totaling 24 yards (PI & Holding), but they extended a scoring drive for EIU and killed an ISU drive...

Reactions: CY74

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
This isn’t just a complaint for this game, as it’s a huge issue (imo) across every level of football. Refs left coaches call timeouts to avoid already committed penalties way too often. Usually happens with delay of games but today was just another example

Reactions: CyNews

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
I'll buy that argument on delay of game calls but not that play. That was horesh%t.

Reactions: CyNews

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Because the penalty comes when a team breaks the huddle with 12+ players...by calling the timeout before the huddle breaks there is no penalty.
Not true. It comes when team has 12 players together for a time longer than instruction for the incoming player to notify the outgoing player he’s being subbed. That usually a couple seconds. . If a player is running on or off, it’s fine, but in the huddle or on the field lined up for what is considered more time than just to tell the player you are subbing for is a penalty. You don’t have to break the huddle. The refs peed it down their leg.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I was wondering the same thing - Iowa had ZERO penalties called against them by the B1G officiating crew, which is a statistical improbability. I can't imagine there are many teams with ZERO flags thrown against them in an entire game over the course of an average NCAA season. Of course, ISU was only called for two penalties totaling 24 yards (PI & Holding), but they extended a scoring drive for EIU and killed an ISU drive...
Iowa was called for a hold once, but it was on our INT and we declined it.

They should have been called for at one INT either on the first drive throw in to the endzone to Higgins, or a third down throw to Brahmer where the Iowa linebacker had jumped on his back before the ball got there.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Yeah, by my count, they let Kirk eliminate two delays of game, one false start, and one illegal substitution using timeouts after the penalty was called. What an innovative way to use timeouts that I'm sure any coach would have been allowed if they had just thought of it.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Not true. It comes when team has 12 players together for a time longer than instruction for the incoming player to notify the outgoing player he’s being subbed. That usually a couple seconds. . If a player is running on or off, it’s fine, but in the huddle or on the field lined up for what is considered more time than just to tell the player you are subbing for is a penalty. You don’t have to break the huddle. The refs peed it down their leg.
Rulebook apparently says 3 seconds in the huddle with 12, to me this is a massive nothing, coaches are constantly given the benefit of the doubt when calling timeouts in situations like this, or delays of game.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Rulebook apparently says 3 seconds in the huddle with 12, to me this is a massive nothing, coaches are constantly given the benefit of the doubt when calling timeouts in situations like this, or delays of game.
Delay of games all the time, the huddle one very rarely. It’s due to by the time a coach notices so does the ref, it’s an infraction so it’s automatic. I honestly have never seen a flagged one picked up in that situation even with trying to call a TO. It didn’t decide the game, we just made too many mistakes.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
That returned int and the call against Purchase were the 2 biggest plays of the game imo. Still think that was a questionable call and it appeared Heacock thought the same. 3rd down kept a scoring drive going.

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Seemed to me, they threw the flag, then just awarded a timeout to avoid the penalty. I don't think, and highly doubt, that Iowa called for the timeout before the penalty had occurred.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone