1986 Big Eight Championship game

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I was present for that game at Kemper. Sammy drove left, got hammered and threw in a hook shot. The whistle blew and we all assumed Sammy was headed to the line for the "and one". But no, wave it off and call traveling - game over...

My eldest is a freshman at ISU this year and I recounted that story for him as we commiserated over Saturday night's game. To quote the Talking Heads, "it's the same as it ever was"...

I even seem to recall one official signaled foul and another came running in and said traveling first before the foul.

mjbclone

Jan 7, 2010
Lansing, IA
It was the 1985-1986 season, with Big 8 tournament in March, 1986. I just read a "recap" on a KU fansite. Their version says, "With KU up 73-71, Hornacek intercepted a pass, drove down court and dished to Sam Hill. There were two whistles, one for a travel and one for a foul on Greg Dreiling. The officials determined the travel occured first so there was no foul. As the buzzer had gone off, the game was over."

They conveniently leave out the part where Sammy made the hook shot and if he did move his feet, it was because he got hammered by huge Greg Dreiling!

My personal list of egregious ISU basketball officiating-induced "bad beats":
1) Elite 8 versus Michigan State - Paul Shirley double-foul / wave off basket / Shirley fouls out / MSU ball;
2) Sammy Hill "phantom travel" versus KU in Big 8 Championship;
3) 2013 KU @ ISU;

You know you have a bad beat history when the Phantom 3 at KU doesn't make the list.

dvmted

Mar 31, 2006
NW iowa
That's what I thought while reading the posts. At the Big 8 tourney in 1988 I sat next to a KC Chamber of Commerce employee who was the liason to the Big 8 and had a large part in the tourney. When I complained about the "Big Boys" seeming to get all the calls he told me that it's no accident. The conference stands to get a lot of $ & prestige from having highly ranked/seeded teams. He said that while the refs aren't instructed to make those calls, they know what the desires of the conference are. Looks like the only way to overcome that is to become one of the "Big Boys", which I think we'll do with Fred at the helm.

cyfarm2013

Feb 26, 2013
That's what I thought while reading the posts. At the Big 8 tourney in 1988 I sat next to a KC Chamber of Commerce employee who was the liason to the Big 8 and had a large part in the tourney. When I complained about the "Big Boys" seeming to get all the calls he told me that it's no accident. The conference stands to get a lot of $ & prestige from having highly ranked/seeded teams. He said that while the refs aren't instructed to make those calls, they know what the desires of the conference are. Looks like the only way to overcome that is to become one of the "Big Boys", which I think we'll do with Fred at the helm.

come on dude.