2/17 ranking

Dingus

May 23, 2013
These kinds of threads are pointless, but just looked at the rankings and ISU could fall like a rock tomorrow. The only teams behind us that lost to unranked teams were #23 SMU and #25 Pitt. Could end up as low as #21 and I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

I'll guess #19 or 20. Probably the only saving grace is that 4 teams ahead of us lost to unranked opponents as well.

Last edited:

CyHawk7

Aug 14, 2013
These kinds of threads are pointless, but just looked at the rankings and ISU could fall like a rock tomorrow. The only teams behind us that lost to unranked teams were #23 SMU and #25 Pitt. Could end up as low as #21 and I wouldn't be terribly surprised.

I'll guess #19 or 20. Probably the only saving grace is that 4 teams ahead of us lost to unranked opponents as well.

You're overreacting a little bit over the West Virginia loss. I think we will be between 14-16

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
To be honest, I am more concerned with whether or not we decide to show up and play Tuesday rather than the number next to our name.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I'd guess 13. That big of a drop is not going to happen this late in the year. Plus most people outside of Iowa State will just see it as a fluke.

The Top 25+1 has us at 10 still. People need to take a deep breath and reevaluate the whole season and not just this week.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
We aren't dropping 9 spots for losing at West Virginia.

You're probably right, but if you look at all the teams ranked 12-21 from this week, it would be hard to argue too much that any one of them shouldn't be ranked above us. Though you couldn't argue too strongly any of them should be ranked higher either.

Edit: Michigan has too many losses, and St. Louis and Louisville have still yet to beat ANYONE (except UConn for Louisville, I guess).

Last edited:

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Every week after a loss everyone talks like we shouldn't be ranked or should drop 10+ spots. Settle down people. We lost to a hot WVU team at Morgantown. We won't be any worse than 16.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Maybe 15 or 16. I don't think losing on the road to West Virginia while they are playing well will drop us too much.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Jeez, what's with all the Don't Panic, Settle down, and Take a deep breath comments? I'm not freakin' out here man!

It was just an observation. Not overly likely its that big a drop but still say it's a possibility.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
You're probably right, but if you look at all the teams ranked 12-21 from this week, it would be hard to argue too much that any one of them shouldn't be ranked above us. Though you couldn't argue too strongly any of them should be ranked higher either.

Edit: Michigan has too many losses, and St. Louis and Louisville have still yet to beat ANYONE (except UConn for Louisville, I guess).

ISU won't stay in front of Louisville and St. Louis in this week's poll. You can't get blown out by an unranked team while the two teams immediately behind you win, and expect to stay in front of those teams. Iowa, Virginia and Creighton are all sure to move up (especially Creighton), and there's a good chance that they'll jump ISU. Texas and Wisconsin will also move up, but probably not enough to be of concern to ISU.

Michigan will drop for sure, but I could see Kentucky staying where they're at -- or even moving up a spot -- since they barely lost to the #3 team; they might drop a spot. MSU is also going to fall.

10. St. Louis
11. Louisville
12. Creighton
13. Kentucky
14. MSU
15. Iowa
16. ISU

I admit I'm biased on those last two. But Iowa and ISU will be in the 15 and 16 spots, IMO. Flip a coin on who gets which spot.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
ISU won't stay in front of Louisville and St. Louis in this week's poll. You can't get blown out by an unranked team while the two teams immediately behind you win, and expect to stay in front of those teams. Iowa, Virginia and Creighton are all sure to move up (especially Creighton), and there's a good chance that they'll jump ISU. Texas and Wisconsin will also move up, but probably not enough to be of concern to ISU.

Michigan will drop for sure, but I could see Kentucky staying where they're at -- or even moving up a spot -- since they barely lost to the #3 team; they might drop a spot. MSU is also going to fall.

10. St. Louis
11. Louisville
12. Creighton
13. Kentucky
14. MSU
15. Iowa
16. ISU

I admit I'm biased on those last two. But Iowa and ISU will be in the 15 and 16 spots, IMO. Flip a coin on who gets which spot.

Agree with you on a lot of points, disagree elsewhere:

Iowa State won’t jump anyone that was ahead last week — San Diego State, Villanova and Michigan State lost, but so did ISU, and only SDSU’s loss was worse, but that’s not enough to make up six places.

(12) St. Louis and (13) Louisville will jump ISU (as you said) — neither lost this week. That’s 13th.
(14) Kentucky is likely to jump us, since its loss was vs. soon-to-be No. 2 Florida, ISU's loss to West Virginia. Each team's win was expected. Assume that’s 14th.
(18) Creighton will climb for pounding (6) Villanova — will it be more than 4 spots? Perhaps. That’s 15th.
(16) Iowa won at Penn State — will stay mostly steady.
(17) Virginia won twice. Wins aren’t worthy of elevating above Iowa State.

Michigan lost at home to UW, so those two just get closer together in the rankings. No way either rises above Iowa State this week.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron