$2.25 Million Suit Filed Against EIU

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I still can't believe that school had suffered as little as they did for what happened there.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
Phillip Jones, who was vice president for student services before he was fired Sept. 23, filed a tort claim Nov. 12 with the Iowa Appeals Board, seeking compensation for lost earnings, emotional distress and lost professional integrity.

Lost professional integrity?????? That'll get thrown out fast. He was working at EIU, there was no integrity to lose!!:biggrin:

I'm not even an attorney and I sniffed that one out right away.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Just wait until the sexual assault victim files her lawsuit. I don't know if she will, but she certainly has a good case and should be able to settle outside of court for millions.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
By the time Mills, Jones and the victim get done with lawsuits, the Uof I (taxpayers) will be out multiple milllions of dollars in damages as will as multiple millions of dollars in lawyer fees (defense). This is in addition to the costs already realized. If Mason/Regents are smart, settling out of court will minimize the continued bad PR for the University and the state. Based on this lawsuit filing, it looks like they are in it for the duration...

Wonder if Mason's new bonus goals have any incentive clause to minimize damages paid...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
By the time Mills, Jones and the victim get done with lawsuits, the Uof I (taxpayers) will be out multiple milllions of dollars in damages as will as multiple millions of dollars in lawyer fees (defense).

This is true. Mills has so many U of I faculty, as well as lawyers around the state, vouching for his expertise and character. I wonder if Mason, prior to firing Mills and Jones, had to clear or justify this with anyone, or if it was just in reponse to the St. Louis firm's report.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
Wow. Just when things started to quiet down a little bit from our neighbors to the east, something like this happens. Like someone said though, you had to have known this was coming. Things will definitely get worse before they get better in Iowa City.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Just wait until the sexual assault victim files her lawsuit. I don't know if she will, but she certainly has a good case and should be able to settle outside of court for millions.

She almost certainly will, but she won't do it until after the criminal trials of the two players. Everyone has forgotten about that since Iowa has won some football games, but it is still going to happen.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
The Board of Regents had just hired Mason, so they had way too much invested in her to terminate her, especially since they had to hire her after an already failed search. So they allowed her to fire two of her direct reports and skate away. The hypocracy is sickening.

Even though it's we taxpayers who will ultimately pay the bill, I'm going to enjoy watching the university stew in their mess. They deserve everything they get.

Iron24

Jul 16, 2008
I still can't believe that school had suffered as little as they did for what happened there.

I would have to agree, if that were to have happened at ISU you know that we would have suffered far worse consequences.