2 Breweries to open downtown (DSM) in 2019

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I haven't been in Des Moines since they opened, but I got to taste the Imperial Stout they brewed with the guys at Thesis in Rochester yesterday, and it was excellent.

Will definitely be high on my list next visit to DSM. We know Zach (head brewer) from his days at Forager. Good guy, and a great brewer. Forager is starting to develop a bit of a brewing tree, if you will.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Lame, more hipster craft breweries. A lot of places to get beer from already.

Just legalize marijuana already kimmy. If not, Illinois will be getting my tax dollars.

Holy giant sucking sound Batman! Talk about throwing dollars into a black hole!!

Last edited:

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
...because parents need a break sometimes? The first thing my wife asked for after our first, and then again after our twins, was the coldest, hoppiest, beer I could find. IMO, the best way to teach kids how to act in public...is to take them into public.

I'm in love with Lua. I stopped down there twice last week. Once I was in a real hurry and I just wanted to check it out. Had a small pour of the Tunnel of Trees NEIPA and was blown away. A lot of times these newer/smaller breweries have a "break in period" where they've gotta figure out how to use their system. It seems like Lua bypassed that period and went straight for "making kickass beer period" instead.

Stopped in Black Friday for a proper sit down and take an Uber home night. My feelings were then solidified that Lua is going to be an absolute gem for Des Moines. Once they start pumping out sours, I think it's going to be game over in the Des Moines market for "Best Brewery".

Agree. Checked it out today and they’re already making some of the best beer available in the metro. They have a couple sours now and I’m not a huge sour guy but these are well done.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cybyassociation