2 ISU FB players have Coronavirus

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah, more reports coming out of people getting the virus and taking months to fully recover. This can significantly impact life for younger people for a long time.

You need to work on your believing things away skills.

My brother's FIL was a 'it's just a flu' type of guy and then his neighbor spent 45 days on a ventilator. Probably still in the 'it's just a flu' crowd but maybe starting to waver a bit.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Being hospitalized and suffering from long term effects are two separate things.

And they can spread it. I don’t get why this is so difficult to understand but maybe I’m stupid for feeling that way. There were about a thousand people that died yesterday. They got it from someone who got it from someone who got from someone who got it from someone and most of those “someone’s” were probably asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic.

Reactions: erinmd32

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While immunity may not exist for those already infected. If someone has already had an infection the body remembers how to manufacture the antibodies.

So if someone has already had Covid their body will produce antibodies quicker the 2nd time around.

So if they're infected a 2nd time, and weren't immune the first time, what good does that do?

I was still told to socially distance etc. even with the antibodies and that kind of a thing (immunity) won't be known until well after the football season.

Either way fans (not saying it's you) calling for the team to infect one another just so we can have entertainment is beyond callus; even if they're low risk, they're not video game characters.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It’s a dangerous virus that affects people differently. That isn’t debatable. Do you know if anyone on the team or in contact with the team have any conditions ? I doubt any of us do. I’m glad Pollard won’t pursue a ridiculous strategy like that which could intentionally endanger the health of our athletes, their families and those in contact with them.

PS - there are plenty of people who are quite sick with sometimes lasting effects who haven’t been hospitalized.

You are speaking in great generalities. Plenty of people, how many is that exactly? 15-20 in the whole country? I know that there have been a handful of serious cases, because different people do react differently to it, but in that age group it is very rare. Besides, who is to say that being in Ames and with the team is more likely to spread the virus than being at home? At least in Ames they will have access to health care services.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
You are speaking in great generalities. Plenty of people, how many is that exactly? 15-20 in the whole country? I know that there have been a handful of serious cases, because different people do react differently to it, but in that age group it is very rare. Besides, who is to say that being in Ames and with the team is more likely to spread the virus than being at home? At least in Ames they will have access to health care services.

I am not sure what you even are arguing about here? Your question is unrelated to my post or what we are discussing and implies I’m arguing a position that I am not.

Remember you took exception to me stating that I don’t think intentionally infecting the entire team at once is a good idea and it is dangerous to their health. You disagree with this? I guess you can argue that with JP and the coaches and players, but I am sure they will agree with my position that we should not intentionally infect the entire football team.

And of course we are speaking in generalities when discussing the potential ramifications of infecting an entire football team with a virus.

Reactions: Cyclad

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
So if they're infected a 2nd time, and weren't immune the first time, what good does that do?

I was still told to socially distance etc. even with the antibodies and that kind of a thing (immunity) won't be known until well after the football season.

Either way fans (not saying it's you) calling for the team to infect one another just so we can have entertainment is beyond callus; even if they're low risk, they're not video game characters.

I doubt, based on what many experts are saying, people are infected a second time with covid19 unless they have an impaired immune system.

I would guess the persons impacted aren't clearing out the infected cells in their body. Viruses can linger in cells for a long time. Since this virus seems to target and infect epithelial cells, people probably end up with pockets of infected cells throughout the body that can take a looooong time to clear out.

Here is an article on this (produced about viruses in general, not our current coronavirus). https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171006085921.htm

This means that individuals like this likely aren't infectious for others, but are still dealing with the effects of their first infection.

As a note, I'm not an expert. I just read a lot and this is a fascinating topic.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It’s cute how people still think there will be football this fall.

Agree. It's not funny, but it is cute.

And it seems to be the same ones that think they will be tailgating and watching football inside Jack Trice.... that also aren't doing anything now (wearing a mask and social distancing, etc) to try to make that even a possibility.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's possible some kids won't take the risk and decide to redshirt.

But if young kids are willing to go to bars, attend mass protests, go to beach, etc. I think they aren't too worried.

Also you are assuming we don't see significant changes to football protocols:
  • Will all players be required to use mask shield while playing.
  • Everyone on sideline wears helmet, mask or face shield.
  • Elimination of sideline passes
  • All players wear gloves
  • Single use water/Gatorade
  • Facilities sprayed with chemicals that kill virus and also prevent virus from spreading to surfaces.
College football will learn a lot from NBA, MLB and PGA during July/August.

What do you consider young???? I see a lot of 35 and under folks at the protests. I can't speak for bars in general, but went to eat at a local one, and the 30somethings were the one's not masked and/or practicing social distancing. I know that is just one occurance though. The other group was the 75+ age group. I consider young kids being 21 and under, I honestly haven't seen much difference between them and the 35 and under around me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I doubt, based on what many experts are saying, people are infected a second time with covid19 unless they have an impaired immune system.

I would guess the persons impacted aren't clearing out the infected cells in their body. Viruses can linger in cells for a long time. Since this virus seems to target and infect epithelial cells, people probably end up with pockets of infected cells throughout the body that can take a looooong time to clear out.

Here is an article on this (produced about viruses in general, not our current coronavirus). https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/10/171006085921.htm

This means that individuals like this likely aren't infectious for others, but are still dealing with the effects of their first infection.

As a note, I'm not an expert. I just read a lot and this is a fascinating topic.

Know a guy who tested positive for close to 60 days. He was in the ICU and they kept testing him. Would guess he wasn't reinfected 4-5 times but just never purged it from his system. Spend eight weeks in ICU.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah if someone's antibodies are developed and there's protection, anything I've seen about 'reinfections' has been that it's dead virus that's not infectious.

I'm leaning toward having at least some immunity with antibodies; otherwise we'd see more alarmist reinfection stories-- but it's not confirmed nor reliable to know how long it lasts so personally I'll continue to social distance (or what I call 'every day life').

I had weird reoccurring chest pain/discomfort long after quarantining and wonder how long I would have tested positive without being infectious.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Surely you have definitive proof that there's immunity and it lasts.

There's been pretty good evidence that most people will develop immunity, at least for a shorter period of time. But, don't be silly NO ONE has definitive proof of anything, especially with this new virus.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
JP, CMC and CSP are all about the benjamins. We ALL know that. o_O

It's also called an economy. If everyone hides in a cave then we are literally back to the Stone Age.

Plus, there is good evidence that testosterone helps protect men so I can't think of a group of men that would be expected to show the least problems.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's also called an economy. If everyone hides in a cave then we are literally back to the Stone Age.

Plus, there is good evidence that testosterone helps protect men so I can't think of a group of men that would be expected to show the least problems.

Can you post a link to this study? I hadn't seen that.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

The quickest path to recovery is requiring everyone wear a mask.

Reactions: erinmd32

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines

Let me know when I need to sharpen my spear and go find a woolly rhino for lunch. Until then, I'll enjoy my grocery stores, running water and air conditioning.