2 years ago I saw Fred at an ISU game...

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I believe it was against Idaho State? It was one of the first games of CB soph year. I believe DG hit a game winner...

Anyway, I was standing by the door ready to leave (yes, I was one of those that night) basically...we played like crap and should of left earlier. But as I was watching along the concorse...I saw Fred and his family directly below me. And his kids were playing around and the crowd was thinning out, but he was dead focused on the game and intently looking on, especially during Mac's timout marathon in the last 2 min and despite looking like we were gonna lose.

Even when DG hit that shot, I look at Fred and he was stone faced. I thought at that time, Dang...Freddie never changes. He was probably thinking about what needed to be done on defense, as there was a sec or 2 left. After the buzzer sounded he gave a couple hard claps and got up and left.

For what ever reason, that left an impression on me as he could be a good coach. Just never thought it would be at ISU.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
The guy has ice water in his veins.

He most definetly will not be like Johnny Orr. Of all the coaches I've seen on the sidelines, I think he reminds me of Tim Floyd the most.

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
I believe it was against Idaho State? It was one of the first games of CB soph year. I believe DG hit a game winner...

Anyway, I was standing by the door ready to leave (yes, I was one of those that night) basically...we played like crap and should of left earlier. But as I was watching along the concorse...I saw Fred and his family directly below me. And his kids were playing around and the crowd was thinning out, but he was dead focused on the game and intently looking on, especially during Mac's timout marathon in the last 2 min and despite looking like we were gonna lose.

Even when DG hit that shot, I look at Fred and he was stone faced. I thought at that time, Dang...Freddie never changes. He was probably thinking about what needed to be done on defense, as there was a sec or 2 left. After the buzzer sounded he gave a couple hard claps and got up and left.

For what ever reason, that left an impression on me as he could be a good coach. Just never thought it would be at ISU.

Good catch. I think Fred will put more into this job than anybody we could imagine. Just hope his heart can take ISU basketball now! It's not as easy as it seemed when he was here...