2009 Defense...who, what, where, and why....

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I know i will get slapped for this later(and i have not been drinking the kool aid - paint chips maybe but no kool aid).....

I think our defense is going to surprise some people in 2009 and i have a few key reasons where i think they will be improved and a few players that i think will have IMPACT years.....

Last year we finished 110th out of 119 schools in scoring defense. Were not talking about our defense competing with Iowas established defensive capabilities. Were talking about simply improvement. At 100th place our defense gave up 35.8 points per game in the highest scoring league in america. Iowa gave up 13 points per game in the lowest scoring conference in bcs conferences. So, for ISU to win games, our defense has to improve from 110 to somewhere aroudn 65th place in my opinion. What does that mean? The 65th place team gave up 26.3 points per game or 9.5 points per game less. What and how does that happen....

Last years brutal defense had a couple huge problems.
1. Schemes/Coaching
2. Tackling
3. Pass Rush
4. Coverage
5. ISU Offense

The reason i have a glimmer of hope is all these items have realistic means of correction - not elimination, simply reducing the problems and the knowledge to handle adversity will ultimately reduce the scoring of the other team.

1. Schemes/Coaching - I know coach Chizball was a great defensive coordinator. But, when he moved up to the head dog, his replacement was not of equal capabilities in my opinion. Chizzledog won with superior talent - period. Coaching is being able to take inferior talent and coach it into superstars. Couple of names to throw out under Wally's World down at USF....

Mike Jenkins (now a cowboy) - 3* DB that oh by the way - Chris Ash was recruiting while at ISU. Jenkins #92 in the state of florida that year. He was coached into a high first round pick and all american.

George Selvie - out of high school was an offensive guard who only had no other offers 2* player. Has now been a 2 time all american returning for his senior campaign at which time he will probably be a all american and Big East defensive player of the year. Last year our defense as a whole had 19 sacks, George Selvie had 13.5 by himself.

To me, the development of these two young men was a direct correlation to their coaching and Wally was in charge of that coaching. Given this staff that was assembled, i simply cannot overlook the fact that our team IMO is in better hands now then they were a year ago. And RESPECT - trust me, these players will respect Burnham, his resume has to have our defensive players listening to every word out of his mouth. This guy has a track record that speaks for itself and he's coached at the highest level for a long time. There's a reason for that!!!!! (Impact: 2 Pts a game)

2. Tackling - Paul and Wally have taken these kids back to the basics. People may laugh and make the jokes, but, the kids may have needed to be broken down, re-taught the fundamentals because if left unchecked, they are just as critical as allowing a guy to run by you wide open in coverage...sooner or later, you will get burned. Having these guys focus on seeing what you hit, either hitting through or wrapping up, or any way you can that player to the ground you do it. (Impact 3 pts a game)

3. Pass Rush - I've been the biggest opponent to the size and stature of our defensive tackles. Now looking at what Wally and staff like to run, these guys are completely different players. I really look for Frere to continue his late season surge from last year and develop into a 2nd or 3rd team all big 12 performer this year. At the end of last year, #62 was in on a lot of plays. I'm predicting 5-6 sacks out of Frere this year. Conversely outside, i heard so much about R. Parkers inability to rush the passer but as a freshman this guy was all world. There's talent there that again needs to be tapped and i think Coach Bray will really push these guys to excel. Parker has a lot of the same physical characteristics as Selvie, lean, and cut, and fast - if we could get half the production from Parker as from Selvie we will have pressure!!! Another player that i expect big things from is C. Lyle....he came on middle of the season on to quietly tie Kurtis Taylor for team lead in sacks with 5. Look for Parker to finish with 5 and Lyle will lead the team with 8 sacks. (Impact: 1 pt a game)

4. Coverage - arguably one of the most talented positions on our roster. Yet, every wide receiver short of the nerdy kid from Little Giants seemed to be holding their hands up as they ran wide open. I got three words for this - Aggressive, Ash, & Sims. With the addition of Sims who i think will be a huge impact player for our secondary from the free safety spot, which is something we really needed. Someone who can cover the field and cover up a mistake or two. This kid has the talent and IMO one of the best secondary coaches in all of college football, he could very easily be the Big 12 newcomer of the year he's got that kind of talent!!!! Add with Sims the likes of Bell (now out of the doghouse and must be feeling like he's been given a second chance), Johnson (all world), Benton, Banks (maybe my favorite defensive player last year), Land, Linder, Mcdowell, and move James Smith back to his natural position of Strong Safety and this secondary will blossom under the watchful eye of Wally and Chris Ash. (Impact: 2 pts)

5. ISU Offense - Under McFarland and i've said this since the day he was hired and i looked over his bio.....His offenses were great nearly top ten in moving the ball(yards) but never in scoring. That is the truest form of a short passing game that when the field gets compacted goes flat and predictable and easily defended! Under herman its just the opposite. They will try to score from any place on the field ala Kansas. This by itself puts a defense in a different position. I think our offense will continue its steady upward swing this year and by finishing our drives our scoring will improve which in turn makes opposing offenses change their schemes because they get behind. Predictability is very easy to defend. It will actually be our offense scoring more points that will improve our defense. (Impact: 3 pts).

Now, i've taken liberty's i know, but, i just cannot believe with these coaches that we're anything close to the debacle that was every saturday. Our players will be prepared and schemes will be in place that can actually work to our athletes advantages rather then trying to cover something up and once exposed its brutally obvious to everyone whats about to happen!!!!!

In theory, this equates to 11 points a game difference. Its the little things that will equate to huge dividends!!!! If we were to shave 11 points a game off our 2008 results, we would finish in a tie for 61 place with minnesota. We get to this level of scoring defense 24.8 points per game and this team, the 2009 team will be in a bowl!!!!!

Last edited:

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
My Starting Lineup

DE- Lyle
DT- Frere
DT- Alburtis
DE- Maggit (I think he provides more than Parker)
OLB- New Juco guy
MLB- Smith
OLB- Garrin (would like to see Hamlin and Matthews gets some PT)
CB- LJ
CB- Banks
FS- Bell
SS- Sims

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
DE- Lyle
DT- Frere
DT- Alburtis
DE- Maggit (I think he provides more than Parker)
OLB- New Juco guy
MLB- Smith
OLB- Garrin (would like to see Hamlin and Matthews gets some PT)
CB- LJ
CB- Banks
FS- Bell
SS- Sims[/QUOTE]

I am implementing some bias and hopes the Mansfield gets a shot at playing time for DE.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
Nice Post Man. SIMS=SLEDGEHAMMER
I beg to differ. Peter Gabriel = Sledgehammer.
sledge.jpg

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
You must of tookin 12 hours to writet this

I normally try not to be the grammar police... but this is very painful.

Back on topic, I like the optimism, KMAC, but our defense was a complete mess last year. We really didn't even have one unit that functioned the way it was supposed to. We will have to see sweeping improvements from all positions if we expect to improve almost 10 points a game.

And speaking of that, it is difficult to assign point values to arbitrary conclusions, like "better coaching will improvement our defense by 3 points." Although, I certainly applaud the effort, and thank you for the detailed post.

ISUchains1Fan

May 30, 2008
McCallsburg, IA
KMAC_ATTACK I can't agree with you more. Great post bro. I have one question is there any way we can shave off another 2.5 pts. and if so were would that put us nationally and in the big 12 north.

CAN YOU FEEL THE STORM A COMIN'

howie71

Feb 1, 2007
I am implementing some bias and hopes the Mansfield gets a shot at playing time for DE.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to see Mansfield play also. He's a big dude right now, just not sure if he will have the speed needed at end. He is the type of kid who will do anything to be on the field.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
And speaking of that, it is difficult to assign point values to arbitrary conclusions, like "better coaching will improvement our defense by 3 points." Although, I certainly applaud the effort, and thank you for the detailed post.

Actually thats whats so great about it, i could assign whatever points i wanted.....boy did i want 12 shutouts....but, had to try and keep perspective on the other obvious too.....

Theres a reason we were 110 out of 119, lets just hope that was more about the things that are gone and not about our players!!!!

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
KMAC_ATTACK I can't agree with you more. Great post bro. I have one question is there any way we can shave off another 2.5 pts. and if so were would that put us nationally and in the big 12 north.

CAN YOU FEEL THE STORM A COMIN'

put us in 44 th place all by ourselves.......and get this only 5 teams were ranked in the top 45 places of scoring defense and DIDNT have a winning record....

Oh a funny tidbit, our new coaches ex-team AUBURN was one of them....but OH HERMAN will not allow that to happen.....

Don't forget, we still have the infusion of Money Reynolds into our receiving corp and i hope we use him much like KU uses Meier......

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
The only thing I'm going to caution about is with the offense being installed is indeed at all similar to the "quick strike" offense that was at Rice, this could negatively impact the defense by the fact that they are not getting rested enough on the sidelines. I have no problem with an offense that can go 80 yards in 3 plays and put 6 points on the board - but for all purposes that is the equivalent to a 3-and-out for the defense (rest-wise, anyway).

Mar 10, 2009
I read this stuff every year and every year i just get more dissapointed so untill i see it on the field i will take notice to what is written.

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
Good write up K-Mac.

I still say our linebackers are going to be the key, just like every other year, and I am not sure we have the horses there to help out. I think our line is going to be stout and aggressive in the interior and Lyle's motor was evident from the first time he saw game action. I'm glad he started pushing for more PT last year. My biggest concern on the line is overall speed. They have not looked very fast in drills and I am not sure we have a good enough rush end/interior combo to be that effective in the pass rush.

I definitely believe we will see improvements just based on schemes and progression alone, but nothing leaps and bounds.

Then again, our horrid offense in 2003 and 2006 put the defense in very bad positions over and over again then they turned it around to be very productive in 2004 and 2007. Anything can happen I guess.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
The only thing I'm going to caution about is with the offense being installed is indeed at all similar to the "quick strike" offense that was at Rice, this could negatively impact the defense by the fact that they are not getting rested enough on the sidelines. I have no problem with an offense that can go 80 yards in 3 plays and put 6 points on the board - but for all purposes that is the equivalent to a 3-and-out for the defense (rest-wise, anyway).

You could also look at it this way. If our offense can keep the pressure on the other team, the opposing teams offense will be trying to keep up with us and more likely to take chances that will lead to turnovers. Much like MU has been able to do the last two years.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Sorry, but Rashawn Parker was not all-world as a freshman. He was a nice player who showed a lot of potential against weak non-conference foes, but wilted badly in the conference season and barely saw the field after that.

Having said that, nice post. I do think you've sipped too much Kool-aid, though, and I think one of the things you missed in your assessment of what was wrong on defense is talent. Being an inherently worse player than the guy across from you CAN'T be fixed with better coaching.

Last edited: