2010: In-State Recruits?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Brandon Scherff from here in Denison could be a big pick up. I don't know if he reads these message boards or not, so won't say too much.

He is 6'5'' 270lbs. and he was our QB to start the season, but later got moved to TE/DE. I think he led our team in receptions even tho he played 1/3 of the season at QB. Great hands.

Also, he got first in the state in shot put last year as a sophomore.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I went to elementary school with AJ Derby, he was always the most athletic kid in school. He used to go to my high school too but he transferred to City last year and everyone was pissed. Our BBall coach was especially upset because they could have had a shot to win state with him and his bro on the team. He plays QB on one of the only undefeated 4A teams in the state. But he's definitely a Hawk fan just like 99% of the people who live here.

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well Derby's dad played for the Hawks as well, he'd be a legacy recruit.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Would be shocked if we had a chance at any of these three. Two in Hawk country and the one from Harlan is Dan Hoch's brother I think.

The bigger question is will Chizik even try to recruit them. He's barely shown token interest in fighting for the top in-state recruits so far.

leg4cy

Apr 12, 2006
Humboldt, IA
Recruiting Iowans is all well and good, but most of the time it's a waste of time and resources if the recruit is from eastern Iowa. Secondly, there are usually 2-3 truly BCS caliber Iowa recruits each year. You cannot win in the Big 12 with a team full of Iowa kids. You gotta recruit Texas and Florida and that is what Chizik is doing. His recruiting strategy is as sound as they come.

CDN_Tailgater

Apr 11, 2006
You have to have some Iowa flavor in there, but a top Iowa recruit is a average Texas recruit. I know he is still only a sophmore but how is Bernstine in Iowa doing? He was highly sought after recruit between us and the Hawks.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Let's face it, Iowa high school football is a joke.

Yeah, I'm sure Iowa regrets recruiting all those Aplington-Parkersburg players - some in the NFL (Kampman, Devries, etc.). Also Dallas Clark, Robert Gallery, etc. Seems to me that they were in the their "glory days" when they had lots of those humble, hard-working Iowa kids.

Does that also mean that Austen Arnaud is a "joke?"

Iowa has to be our number one priority in recruiting - Chizik himself said so on his coaches show the week before this one.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Yes, there are diamonds in the rough, but overall it's nothing special. You can find a ton of hard working players here, but the talent level is no where near Texas and Florida.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, there are diamonds in the rough, but overall it's nothing special. You can find a ton of hard working players here, but the talent level is no where near Texas and Florida.

No, Iowa is nothing special. We have no population here.
But remember that tons of big-time schools are recruiting Texas and Florida - last January, we ended up offering "fall-back" prospects late, after our first and second-level recruits signed elsewhere. What is going to change this year, with the way our season is going?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Brandon Scherff from here in Denison could be a big pick up. I don't know if he reads these message boards or not, so won't say too much.

He is 6'5'' 270lbs. and he was our QB to start the season, but later got moved to TE/DE. I think he led our team in receptions even tho he played 1/3 of the season at QB. Great hands.

Also, he got first in the state in shot put last year as a sophomore.

Wow, just wow. I hope they are after this guy. Could be a get, unless Nebraska shows some interest. That is the big problem recruiting to ISU. Western Iowa you get a lot of Husker fans, Eastern Iowa is really Hawk territory. ISU I guess has that central corridor, Des Moines, with Valley in particular, up to Fort Dodge and Mason City.

I really like having Iowa kids on the team contributing, but you have to be real. I don't expect GC to waste time going after probably Hawks just because they have talent. Limited resources people. Who here would trade LJ or KB for Jordan Bernstein? Gotta trust the coaches judgement for at least a couple more years folks.

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
No, Iowa is nothing special. We have no population here.
But remember that tons of big-time schools are recruiting Texas and Florida - last January, we ended up offering "fall-back" prospects late, after our first and second-level recruits signed elsewhere. What is going to change this year, with the way our season is going?

thanks

debbie_downer.jpg

you seen the list thus far? ...

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
why stop in iowa,
when you have the following targets in texas:
stump godfrey,qb,gilmer ,texas
matt brown,qb,allentexas
tyler arndt,qb,cuero texas
traylon shead,rb,cayuga texas
take your time and write gene chizik about these 4 texas kids and the
isu program will turn the corner.
especially write him and h scott forest about traylon shead from cayuga. mr shead is supporting the title of the next adrain peterson.he is a good one.
be certain to flood chizik's email and scott forest's email with these 4 names.
shead is a must get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
i dont really know who the stars will be from around the des moines suburbs. i go to waukee and i know that there isnt any D-1 talent in the 2010 class. some really good high school players, but not D-1.

Last edited:

wsrgohawks

Sep 13, 2008
Rural Bremer County
i dont really know who the starts will be from around the des moines suburbs. i go to waukee and i know that there isnt any D-1 talent in the 2010 class. some really good high school players, but not D-1.

.....James Morris from Solon has already committed to Iowa.

A.J. Derby is definately D-1 talent.
Andre Dawson might be also.
The little Hoch kid will be too.

cyclones6785

Dec 16, 2007
i dont really know who the starts will be from around the des moines suburbs. i go to waukee and i know that there isnt any D-1 talent in the 2010 class. some really good high school players, but not D-1.

So you have seen every high school in Iowa play and evaluated all the juniors right?

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
So you have seen every high school in Iowa play and evaluated all the juniors right?
i think you miss read my post. or it was poorly worded. i was meaning to say that there is no D-1 talent at waukee, i wasnt making a point about the entire class.

i know there are some good juniors out there this year, but at waukee we have none that are on the same level as jake knott this year (undecided) or zach davison last year (wisconson).

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron