2010 Iowa Girls' State BB Tournament

Cysister

Mar 18, 2008
Dubuque, IA
Congratulations to Janel Grimm for being inducted into the HOF.

I spotted Wild Bill sitting in the Mount Ayr section in his gold blazer in the sea of black.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Pretty exciting game. Mt Ayr is up 39-37 on Exira with 1:22 left in the third. Christofferson has 20 points and 10 rebounds.

After being used to 4A, 1A basketball is a bit different to say the least...

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Score update? Were @ Hilton watching gymnastics and I cant find play by play quickly.. :)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Score update? Were @ Hilton watching gymnastics and I cant find play by play quickly.. :)

Exira 50-47 with 1:42 left.

Exira 55-51 with 0:22 left.

Exira 55-53 (0:15, timeout)

Last edited:

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Incredible finish! Exira 57-55.

Pass to halfcourt, tipped, caught by Exira, fires it under the basket for a layup that hit every part of the rim.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Thanks guys. Wish I could have seen it. Sounds like the way a state tornament game should end.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Funny moment in 2A final: Mt Vernon player went for a rebound and was way over the back of another player. Official blew the whistle to call a foul, but then realized the second player was her teammate. They had to rule it an inadvertent whistle and give the ball to Mt Vernon out of bounds.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Here's a pic from the L-M/Kennedy game. One or both of the people in front of BF are from Northwestern, I think. Some other scouts (Iowa and Eastern Illinois, for sure) showed up for the East/Waukee game.

If your referencing the guy wearing the Iowa jacket, he's not a scout, he doesn't even go there. I talked to him during the first half of the East game. Nice guy though.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The LM game was pretty good, glad to see them pull it out and get to the championship game! We just need to work on our consistency, and ball handling, free throws and better shot selection would have helped at times as well. Wish I could make it tomorrow night but due to prior plans I wouldn't be able to make it until 9...GO LIONS!!!

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
If your referencing the guy wearing the Iowa jacket, he's not a scout, he doesn't even go there. I talked to him during the first half of the East game. Nice guy though.

Yeah. He was sitting where the scouts and coaches were and wearing a university jacket, so I jumped to that conclusion.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
Perhaps the most detailed coverage of Exira is in the Omaha World-Herald and the Council Bluffs Nonpareil (which is owned by the World-Herald). The father of the writer, Kevin White, who covers all SWI HS sports for the World-Herald, coached HS girls basketball at Neola Tri-Center for 20 or more years

The articles are identical, I think, but the for the first game, which was much longer in the Nonpareil:

Daily Nonpareil Online > Archives > Sports > Girls state tournament: Exira advances
DES MOINES – It’s a good thing most of Exira was here, because they saw something that hadn’t happened in 64 years.

Hallie Christofferson finished with 32 points, 20 rebounds, eight blocks and four steals, and No. 2 Exira earned its first state-tournament victory since 1946 with a 63-57 Class 1-A state quarterfinal win over unrated Prince of Peace Monday at Wells Fargo Arena.

Exira will join forces with Elk Horn-Kimballton next year and become the Elk Horn-Kimballton/Exira Spartans. . . .

“Everybody and their friends were here,’’ said Christofferson, an Iowa State recruit. “To look up in the stands and see so many people, and know they’re all behind you, was great.’’

. . . . That largely was due to the brilliance of Christofferson, who made 12 of 17 from the field and 7 of 11 from the line. In five postseason games, she’s now averaging 30.2 points, 22.8 rebounds, 6.4 blocks and 5.2 steals.

And the WH article for that game included a photo gallery:

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: High Schools sports - Class 1-A: Christofferson, Exira earn long-awaited win

I think the other articles are identical (but include different photos).

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: High Schools sports - Christofferson’s monster game helps Exira to 1-A final

Daily Nonpareil Online > Archives > Sports > 2010 Girls State Basketball Tournament: Exira to play for 1-A championship in its final game

Exira, the 105th largest out of 136 Class 1-A schools, will play No. 8 Mount Ayr (26-1) on Friday at 6 in the small-school title game. The last team title for an Exira squad came in the summer of 1951 when the baseball team won the one-class crown.

“It’s a pretty special feeling right now,’’ Exira coach Tom Petersen said. “It’s something that these girls have worked extremely hard for.’’

The 6-foot-3 Christofferson finished with 33 points, 13 rebounds and five blocks. She finished 10 of 14 from the field and 13 of 16 from the line. And her intimidating presence in the lane was a big reason the Mustangs shot 22 of 75 (29.3 percent) for the game. The Iowa State recruit also brought the ball up the court against N-F’s full-court pressure on many occasions. . . .

The championship game article (obviously a lot of human interest stories here):

Omaha.com - The Omaha World-Herald: High Schools sports - Class 1-A: Late basket earns Exira state title

Daily Nonpareil Online > Sports > Exira wins 1-A title in its final game

doc4b91e3b5ed7e0528670722.jpg

DES MOINES — Less than two months ago, Exira's Ann Walker was lying in an Omaha hospital bed with pneumonia.

She didn't know when, or if, her senior year of basketball would continue. And even though she had plenty of time to think about it, she couldn't have imagined how it would end.

Walker took a long pass from Chelsea Nelson and rolled in a layup as time expired to give Exira its first state basketball championship with a thrilling 57-55 win over Mount Ayr on Friday night at Wells Fargo Arena. . . .

Christofferson finished with 27 points and 17 rebounds and was named captain of the all-tournament team. She set a 1-A state-tournament record with 50 rebounds in the three games. She finished with 92 points, missing the 1-A record by one.
. . .