2012-13 Recruiting class

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
What an exciting recruiting class Coach has announced for 2012-13. I am terribly impressed with Christy's (and her staff's) skill at coaching and recruiting. She constantly seeks excellence; it is apparent in how she handles herself on game-day and how she handles herself away from the court. We can see some great development of this year's rookies, as well as upperclassmen. Just wish volleyball got a bit more recognition; it is certainly deserved. Can't see ever giving up my VB season tickets!!!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, CJL saying, she thinks this class makes them a top 5 team in the future.

Johnson-Lynch Adds Seven for 2012-13 - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

definitely like the sound of someone who can play both setter and outside hitter, that is a rare, but deadly combo. Wondering if CJL is considering going to a 2 setter offense at times.

That was my thought too - that we might go to a 6-2 offense. Sounds like a really great class, excited for the next few years!

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
That was my thought too - that we might go to a 6-2 offense. Sounds like a really great class, excited for the next few years!

Yes, and considering TX wanted Malloy (we beat out TX for a recruit!), that would be my hunch. Maybe it wouldn't be all the time, but certainly could mix things up.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yes, and considering TX wanted Malloy (we beat out TX for a recruit!), that would be my hunch. Maybe it wouldn't be all the time, but certainly could mix things up.

Woot! Didn't realize that - saw one of the girls was wanted by Nebby as well, so kudos to our the coaches!

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Thanks for the update. Yes, our volleyball program is the best kept secret in the state (from our beloved media). There's been pretty good attendance at several of the meets. I hope the trend continues similar to the uptrend that started when coach Fennelly took over WBB. This program deserves a lot of support.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
That's awesome to hear. I enjoyed to to volleyball games when I was a student a few years ago, I should follow them more now.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
What an exciting recruiting class Coach has announced for 2012-13. I am terribly impressed with Christy's (and her staff's) skill at coaching and recruiting. She constantly seeks excellence; it is apparent in how she handles herself on game-day and how she handles herself away from the court. We can see some great development of this year's rookies, as well as upperclassmen. Just wish volleyball got a bit more recognition; it is certainly deserved. Can't see ever giving up my VB season tickets!!!

I have had 4 season tickets for the past 3 years even though I cannot make but a couple matches a year. It is my way of showing support to Christy Johnson and what she has accomplished here at ISU.

I encourage others to do the same. If you do not use the tickets, you can donate them to the local Youth Shelter or some other charity to use.

TCG

Mar 9, 2011
I wonder how that class ranks against other elite programs

I wouldn't be surprised to see it be top 15 or even top 10. Last year we had one top 50 recruit and we were ranked 25th recruiting class(i think), but this year we have 3 in the top 50 and 4 in the top 100. Really awesome job by CJL and staff.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Some have posted doubts about being able to recruit top players to ISU. I think CJ joins Fred, BF, Corey Ihmels and Jay Ronayne in proving that we can if we try. These five coaches, and likely Jackson, will have teams vying to finish in the top 20 every year. VB is likely to have the highest national season end ranking of any sport on campus this year and the future looks even better.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Some have posted doubts about being able to recruit top players to ISU. I think CJ joins Fred, BF, Corey Ihmels and Jay Ronayne in proving that we can if we try. These five coaches, and likely Jackson, will have teams vying to finish in the top 20 every year. VB is likely to have the highest national season end ranking of any sport on campus this year and the future looks even better.

Women's cross-country might give them a 'run' for their money:cool:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
CJL was at the Cyclone lunch at Hickory Hall about a month ago. Second time I've seen her speak there but she seems like a great person. She is easy to listen to and very impressive on her responses to questions.

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
Fantastic class coming in. Think about 3 years from now. The Schaben girl from Harlan is unreal. TO bad she couldn't have gotten the Abbott girl from Creston a few years back.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
How many scholarship athletes can volleyball have? If I remember right (reading the program at one of the matches) we only have 4 seniors on this years team. Losing 4 and bringing in 7 doesn't quiet add up but maybe we aren't using all of our alloted scholarships this year.

Either way, the future is really bright for ISU volleyball. We have a few young players this year that are contributing already. It would be very cool for CJL to get a national championship...she is a great coach.

BirdDog

May 23, 2011
Anyone know how many schollies can be given out for VB? The current roster shows 15 players with 4 seniors. That means that with the incoming 7, it would give us 18 on next years roster. Can partials be given out as in wrestling?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron