2014 FANTASY FOOTBALL THREAD

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
There are so many great fantasy WRs nowadays.

Calvin
Dez
AJ Green
Brown
ODB
TY Hilton
Alshon Jeffrey
DT
Sanders
Jordy
Cobb
Julio

Totally agree. You can add Kelvin Benjamin, Brandon Cooks, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen to that list as well. If I get a top 10 pick I'll go with a RB first hoping that as many as possible go WR, knowing that I'll get someone just as good in the next few rounds.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Totally agree. You can add Kelvin Benjamin, Brandon Cooks, Josh Gordon, Brandon Marshall, Keenan Allen to that list as well. If I get a top 10 pick I'll go with a RB first hoping that as many as possible go WR, knowing that I'll get someone just as good in the next few rounds.

I'll draft either 9/12 or 10/11 so it's really likely I'm looking at WRs. Hoping for Beckham to fall to me. If he doesn't, there will probably be a good QB there.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Alex Smith not being able to throw a TD might have cost me a championship. 300+ yds and no TD's isn't good enough.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

I'll draft either 9/12 or 10/11 so it's really likely I'm looking at WRs. Hoping for Beckham to fall to me. If he doesn't, there will probably be a good QB there.

I think basic principles to follow (which changes year to year of course) are:

1. If you can get a stud RB that gets 99% of his teams carries, take him.
2. Don't go QB in the 1st
3. If you can't get a stud RB early, go WR/WR or WR/TE for Gronk/Thomas/Graham (he'll bounce back next year)
4. Collect as many RBs as possible late in the draft along with WRs as well.

I don't like to carry backups for QBs or TEs and like to stream one defense at a time until late in the season.

Biggest mistake you can make is reach for a RB who ends up getting into a timeshare at a position with a high injury rate. Guys like Bernard, Stacy, Ball, ect

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I think basic principles to follow (which changes year to year of course) are:

1. If you can get a stud RB that gets 99% of his teams carries, take him.
2. Don't go QB in the 1st
3. If you can't get a stud RB early, go WR/WR or WR/TE for Gronk/Thomas/Graham (he'll bounce back next year)
4. Collect as many RBs as possible late in the draft along with WRs as well.

I don't like to carry backups for QBs or TEs and like to stream one defense at a time until late in the season.

Biggest mistake you can make is reach for a RB who ends up getting into a timeshare at a position with a high injury rate. Guys like Bernard, Stacy, Ball, ect

I agree with you on RBs. Look at McCoy or even Charles. There are two guys I would take early next year and that's Murray and Bell. I took Jennings way late and he was good until he got hurt. Then I had Bell and Hill to fill in. I disagree on QBs. If Manning or Rodgers are there you take them. I treat them like TEs. There are a few elite ones but after that, you fill up with WRs and a bunch of flyer RBs then get your QB and TE. WRs just seem to be easier to project. I pretty much have always based teams around them. Next year looks like it will be the same. Also, defenses can pay. I had the Bills this year and an average defense may have not gotten me in the playoffs. Having them rather than streaming someone straight up got me to the championship while Manning was blowing it. I agree on carrying backup QBs and TEs too. Most of that is because we have small rosters and I don't mind stashing.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I wonder how many leagues Marshawn just won for people.

My championship hopes rest on freaking Andy Dalton tomorrow. 7 pts Andy.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Love me some Odell Beckham Jr.!!! I somehow made the championship. Losing by 8 but my opponent has no players left, and I have Manning and Julius Thomas tomorrow night.

I have the same type of deal. Down 25 with Manning and Green. This is a little bit better than the last couple weeks when I was up 38 and 30 and they had Julio Jones one week and Drew Brees the next. Some tense moments there.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I agree with you on RBs. Look at McCoy or even Charles. There are two guys I would take early next year and that's Murray and Bell. I took Jennings way late and he was good until he got hurt. Then I had Bell and Hill to fill in. I disagree on QBs. If Manning or Rodgers are there you take them. I treat them like TEs. There are a few elite ones but after that, you fill up with WRs and a bunch of flyer RBs then get your QB and TE. WRs just seem to be easier to project. I pretty much have always based teams around them. Next year looks like it will be the same. Also, defenses can pay. I had the Bills this year and an average defense may have not gotten me in the playoffs. Having them rather than streaming someone straight up got me to the championship while Manning was blowing it. I agree on carrying backup QBs and TEs too. Most of that is because we have small rosters and I don't mind stashing.

I just think I am confident in my ability to find a QB late because they are so reliable production wise. You can pretty much guarantee you will find a QB every week who will throw 30 times even if you are streaming QBs, let alone getting a guy like Brady or Rivers late.

I don't think you can find TEs who score as reliably. Non top tier TE targets are so spotty and so hard to predict.

In one league I took Brady in the 5th or so, bailed after his horrible start (stupid move in hindsight), traded for Cam Newton after riding Palmer a couple weeks (trade didn't work well) and finally picked up Sanchez and rode him to the title. This was 6 points per TD as well so the difference is even more pronounced.

Just a differing in strategies I guess. It all comes down to where I think I can get predictable results.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I just think I am confident in my ability to find a QB late because they are so reliable production wise. You can pretty much guarantee you will find a QB every week who will throw 30 times even if you are streaming QBs, let alone getting a guy like Brady or Rivers late.

I don't think you can find TEs who score as reliably. Non top tier TE targets are so spotty and so hard to predict.

In one league I took Brady in the 5th or so, bailed after his horrible start (stupid move in hindsight), traded for Cam Newton after riding Palmer a couple weeks (trade didn't work well) and finally picked up Sanchez and rode him to the title. This was 6 points per TD as well so the difference is even more pronounced.

Just a differing in strategies I guess. It all comes down to where I think I can get predictable results.

I'm with you on QBs. I just won my league, went into the draft knowing that I wanted Romo as my QB. I waited and got him in the 7th round. He got me 35 points this week, and the guy I beat had Rodgers, who he took in the 1st round, and got him 16 points. I'll never take a QB earlier than round 5, and I'll hope everyone else does.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm with you on QBs. I just won my league, went into the draft knowing that I wanted Romo as my QB. I waited and got him in the 7th round. He got me 35 points this week, and the guy I beat had Rodgers, who he took in the 1st round, and got him 16 points. I'll never take a QB earlier than round 5, and I'll hope everyone else does.

When QBs started going and I got DT in 2 leagues in the late 1st..... I about fell to my knees and screamed.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I drafted Matt Ryan in the 7th round, and got Ben Roethlisberger off waivers during the season when someone cut him. I went with the best matchup between them every time and it worked. Guys were picking Brees, Manning, Rodgers, Luck in the first and second rounds.

The guy I played today in the championship had Luck who finished with 2 points and Matt Ryan had 19. Prime example of why you can't rely on a QB like he did throughout the season (the rest of his team was not good enough).

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I went into the Sunday night game with my opponent with 0 players left and I only needed to score 8 points with Calais Campbell and the Cardinals Defense.

Second place finish...

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Hopefully I can get Russell Wilson in the 8th round every year.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

I don't make the playoffs in my league if I take Calvin Johnson instead of Manning. Now, I almost lost the last two weeks because Manning has been sucking and was hurt, but that's beside the point. I guess I'm coming from late first round where there are no RBs left and the elite WRs have been taken.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I'm only up 13 points and he has Demarius Thomas left to play. Hopes are looking slim.

I wish I would have played Romo over Ryan.

Just gotta hope Denver runs the ball a lot tonight

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
I should win two championships tonight and finish 3rd in another. I need Hill to do decent as I'm up against Anderson and Julius Thomas in the game for 3rd place and in one of the championship games I have a big lead against Anderson and D. Thomas.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
I should win two championships tonight and finish 3rd in another. I need Hill to do decent as I'm up against Anderson and Julius Thomas in the game for 3rd place and in one of the championship games I have a big lead against Anderson and D. Thomas.

Hill has been impressive this year. Manning just won me a championship. Went from 2-5 to barely making the playoffs at 7-7 to winning it all. I owe Beckham Jr. a beer or two!