2016 Cyclone Volleyball

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
With the season starting in a few weeks, wanted to see what others thought about the upcoming season.

Starters seem to have fallen into place as we don't lose much (in terms of numbers, will miss Nolan greatly) from last year.

Picked third in the Big 12 which sounds about right. Texas and Kansas will be tough...the rest of the conference, however, will probably blow.

Starters:

OH: Schaben/Capezio
MB: Conaway/West
RS: Kuhrt
L: Berta
S: Harris

Things to watch for:
1. Miranda. Transfer from Evansville. Will she contribute?
2. Who will step up in the back row? Phillips should step into Berta's role from last year
3. Lazard. If she can find a way to contribute, it will be a great season. She's pure raw power. Excited to see what CJL was able to do with a full offseason.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Man, it seems like Capezio has been here for 7 years. Hopefully we see some strides at setter, it's awfully hard to be a great team without excellent setting.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
agree with Spiker - setting needs to be strong. I was a bit surprised that it was Conaway and Kuhrt named to the pre-season team. Figured Schaben would get that. Think Berta will do a nice job back row (have heard Phillips is great too and could compete for L). Hoping we see a lot more of Lazard and Bailey.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Yes let me be the overly-optimistic Cyclone:we will compete for 2nd in the league with KU. Miranda will be a great addition and Libero play and setting will be surprising with less drop off than expected. We have two Big 12 caliber players? Like Cowgirl I question that and Schaben will not let them forget it (but it is hard to beat out the OH's from Texas and KU).

Sobchakcyclone

Feb 8, 2010
Bowling Alley
I think Bailey will be the surprise, just like it was Schaben last year. I think Schaben will have another big year. I wonder if Capezio will play across the back for her receiving and passing, but could see her minutes go down? We need to block better as a team this year, and our size should be good with some of the younger players. Grace may end up on the outside, IMO. It may be hard to keep everbody happy with playing time.

If our middles keep hitting at such a high percentage, shouldn't we go there more?

I also think we don't put as much pressure on opponents as we used to with our service. I would love to see us dictate how other teams have to run their setter, rather than being semi-passive with our service game. Too often, teams ran in system against us.

Harris has to be nails. No more unforced errors.

In the end, if teams just hammer at Berta and Phillips, we may go as they go. I hope we can slow the ball down.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
Our unknowns this year - and the factors that will drive our record for the year - will be setting and blocking. If we get better setting and improve our block, this team has a great upside. If we don't, I am afraid we will be challenged for 3rd. Of course, we need to settle in at libero as well, but since this is libero U, I am not concerned.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Our unknowns this year - and the factors that will drive our record for the year - will be setting and blocking. If we get better setting and improve our block, this team has a great upside. If we don't, I am afraid we will be challenged for 3rd. Of course, we need to settle in at libero as well, but since this is libero U, I am not concerned.

Agreed with improved blocking and setting. I'm. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that in recent interviews, CJL mentions Phillips & Berta in an extremely tight race at Libero. I kind of hoped Berta would take it and run.

I do think Phillips has more natural ability but can be streaky. Some might question Berta's commitment to getting better, which remains to be seen...as she's had off the court issues.

TDR

Aug 23, 2016
Agreed with improved blocking and setting. I'm. I'm not sure if it is a good or bad thing that in recent interviews, CJL mentions Phillips & Berta in an extremely tight race at Libero. I kind of hoped Berta would take it and run.

I do think Phillips has more natural ability but can be streaky. Some might question Berta's commitment to getting better, which remains to be seen...as she's had off the court issues.

I don't know if anyone was at the scrimmage Saturday but definitely thought Schaben looked really good for us! Middles should be solid also this year, experienced and Conoway always reliable.
Defensively thought Berta by far looked the best in all areas.
Also I was looking at previous stats from the last few years and it looks like from a passing stand point Berta has been probably our best passer right even with Nolan even. Great serving too as far as Aces last year too. Would have to give her the edge with 2 years experience also.
But, so glad to see we have so much depth at all positions.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
CqvRge1UkAAEyQK.jpg:large

Reactions: ISUalways