MLB: 2018 Minnesota Twins Thread

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Nice to see the Twins take two out of three from Boston's stud starting pitchers. Twins got their money's worth in this series as their three starters are making $16.8 million/yr. vs. Red Sox $62.5 million.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw an interesting read in the Star Trib this morning. Sid Hartman went "Full Sid" and did a piece stating Sanos career start was better than Harman Killibrews. :rolleyes: My man Reusse called the BS on this. Interesting baseball history and stupid owner rules from right after WWII had Killebrew on the roster as a 17 year old about to turn 18. :eek: Never knew this (even before my time which is saying something).

http://www.startribune.com/harmon-killebrew-s-start-to-his-career-comes-with-asterisk/486363671/

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
More local Twins fodder from Star Tribune, some thoughts on Mauer after 2018. Not sure what to think of this. On one hand he's not worth anywhere near what he is being paid but is popular and it's not like he would be blocking the next great thing waiting in the minors at 1st base. Also, even though he's one of the old Twins, he has never been a clubhouse leader like Tori Hunter and other guys they have brought in and have filled that role. Playing elsewhere isn't really an option if he has paid any attention to this years free agents. Do not see anyone other than the Twins taking a chance on him with the concussions and age stuff.

http://www.startribune.com/affordab...good-standing-with-twins-community/486407201/

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
..... Do not see anyone other than the Twins taking a chance on him with the concussions and age stuff.....

I'm sure Mauer wants to stay with the Twins and enjoy his Minnesota lake homes in his latter MLB years. As you pointed out, the lack of 1B in the minors will most likely allow him to get a 2-3 year contract with the Twins.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm sure Mauer wants to stay with the Twins and enjoy his Minnesota lake homes in his latter MLB years. As you pointed out, the lack of 1B in the minors will most likely allow him to get a 2-3 year contract with the Twins.

Will be interesting to see how much of a salary cut Mauer is willing to take. CC Sabathia was making Mauer level money but signed a one year contract to come back to the Yanks for 2018 for $10M. Similar in some ways as CC lives in New Jersey and didn't want to play for another team to end his career. Plus after going 14-5 last year it made sense to bring him back (even better at less than half of what he had been making).

Thinking that how good a contract Mauer gets is going to be dependent on how he finishes this year. Only two 1st baseman are paid more this year and he's more of a $10M guy than a $23M guy now. I'd pay a homer price of $15M for 2017 Mauer but not that much for 2015/2016 Mauer.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Will be interesting to see how much of a salary cut Mauer is willing to take. .....

The new brain trust realizes Mauer is a hometown hero but they also have no ties to him. All they see is an aging .280 1B with above average fielding, but no power. If he is offered a dime more than $6 million/yr,, Joe should consider himself luckier than he already is.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The new brain trust realizes Mauer is a hometown hero but they also have no ties to him. All they see is an aging .280 1B with above average fielding, but no power. If he is offered a dime more than $6 million/yr,, Joe should consider himself luckier than he already is.

You might be close to the price as that's right at what Mike Moustakas got after his free agency bombed out on him and he had to come back to the Royals. Throw in the Mauer hometown hero premium and let's call it $7.5M ;)

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
After struggling to escape being swept by the lowly Sox, the Twins are getting closer to wearing the sellers cap at the trade deadline. If that's where they end up, it will be interesting to see what they do with Dozier and Lynn.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
After struggling to escape being swept by the lowly Sox, the Twins are getting closer to wearing the sellers cap at the trade deadline. If that's where they end up, it will be interesting to see what they do with Dozier and Lynn.

Sellers without much to sell. Buyers are looking for pitching. I don't know what they should do. They aren't going to get much of anything for Dozier at this point. Could have gotten something last season or maybe even last winter but he's hitting around .180 for June and is a free agent this winter. That's not a short "rental" any of the contenders are going to be interested in. Are any contenders desperate for a 2nd baseman?

Lance Lynn is similar with his one year contract and underwhelming performance. Who in contention is going to look at him as an upgrade? Would be better if he had more than a one year contract since his past would be enough to get people to gamble some but he's a rental if traded this summer and unless he gets hot in July he's not getting much either.

Good news is, per the paper the other day, they have the second weakest schedule in MLB for remaining games this season. Bad news it will take a hell of a run and collapse by the Indians. Don't think a wildcard is very realistic, too far back and behind too many teams.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Sellers without much to sell. Buyers are looking for pitching. I don't know what they should do. They aren't going to get much of anything for Dozier .....Lance Lynn is similar with his one year contract and underwhelming performance......

I hope the contenders scouts see it this way.
I'd love to see Dozier come back. He's obviously pressing and I think he'll return to All-Star status next year after the contract stress is over.
Not sure about Lynn. He still looks pissed all the time about losing out on $6 million in salary this year. He has looked good in the last 6 weeks and most likely would have value as a fourth or fifth starter for some teams.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Was reading the paper this morning and I didn't know that Escobar is also going to be a free agent. Yikes, Mauer, Escobar, Lynn, Dozer, and Rodney. And maybe Morrison, his one year with a 2nd vested option thing confuses me some. Didn't stop to think before how much the Twins invested in a one year shot for 2018. More bodies than $$$ but still going to be a drastic change for 2019.

The way Escobar is playing they are going to wish they had extended him last year.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
[QUOTE="BoxsterCy, post: 6204062, member:] Yikes, Mauer, Escobar, Lynn, Dozer, and Rodney....[/QUOTE]

After that dismal road trip, the Escobar, Dozier, Lynn, and Rodney watch has officially begun. I hope a catching prospect is tops on their list in any deal for these guys.

cyfan21

Aug 24, 2010
Davenport
Thinking of making the road trip up to Minneapolis for a game this weekend. What are the best tickets and parking options???

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Thinking of making the road trip up to Minneapolis for a game this weekend. What are the best tickets and parking options???

If you have enough time, park at the Mall of America and take the light rail right to the park. If you are looking for good seats (box or Legends) take a walk down the left field line a block and ask for Dan the Ticket Man. He'll take care of you.
Have fun a the game. Great weather for one of the best parks in the majors.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Any of you with an Athletic subscription, there is an awesome inning by inning recollection of the 91 Series. Great read.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good thing the Twins are in Boston this weekend. I-35 from Crosstown north to I-694 is closed this weekend, both ways. Woof! Would have made for an ugly final stretch drive for anyone coming up from Iowa.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw this in Sid Hartman's morning column. Wow! o_O

"The contracts of Morrison, Joe Mauer, Ervin Santana and Matt Belisle come off the books at the end of the season, meaning the team’s payroll for 2019 is currently $28.7 million."

That's less than the Dodgers are paying Kershaw.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Saw this in Sid Hartman's morning column. Wow! o_O

"The contracts of Morrison, Joe Mauer, Ervin Santana and Matt Belisle come off the books at the end of the season, meaning the team’s payroll for 2019 is currently $28.7 million."

That's less than the Dodgers are paying Kershaw.

Total 2018 payroll is $126M. That means they can pay Harper about $100M/yr!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Total 2018 payroll is $126M. That means they can pay Harper about $100M/yr!

True dat but unfortunately the biggest off-season discussion will be how much to offer Mauer. :oops:

Looks like full on rebuild mode again after the promise of youth and all from last year kinda petering out. The two bookends for the youth movement both flamed out this year. Think the Twins will still roll on the cheap next year and hope that Sano will drive in 140 runs and that Buxton will hit .340 and steal 100 bases. :rolleyes:

Reactions: riceville98

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
More local Twins fodder from Star Tribune, some thoughts on Mauer after 2018. Not sure what to think of this. On one hand he's not worth anywhere near what he is being paid but is popular and it's not like he would be blocking the next great thing waiting in the minors at 1st base. Also, even though he's one of the old Twins, he has never been a clubhouse leader like Tori Hunter and other guys they have brought in and have filled that role. Playing elsewhere isn't really an option if he has paid any attention to this years free agents. Do not see anyone other than the Twins taking a chance on him with the concussions and age stuff.

http://www.startribune.com/affordab...good-standing-with-twins-community/486407201/

He's just not the consistent hitter he used to be anymore.....time was when there was an important run in scoring position, you just knew Mauer was going to get a hit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron