2018 NFL Fantasy Football

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
It's almost that time of the year again! When does everyone normally have their drafts? Most years we do a live draft and have it first couple weeks of August. This year we are finally all on agreement to do it near the end of August.

Anybody do anything cool for winner or loser? I'm not talking drastic like make the loser get a tattoo.

There's also some interesting movement from FA last year as always, but many high profile guys coming back from injury too. I have only read a few articles here and there, but do stats dive as it gets closer to the draft.

I love this time of year coming into drafts, the fair, fall for weather and both college football and the nfl. Summer is flying by, but before too long we'll be out supporting that cardinal and gold! (PS - it's a Friday so I wanted some added convo for today).

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Yahoo is hosting fantasy college football this year. Not sure how popular that will get

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Yahoo is hosting fantasy college football this year. Not sure how popular that will get

Yeah curious how that will work?

Would anyone Fanatics be interested in setting up a league to give it the college try? I'd be interested in trying it out.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Getting Excited!!!

In my NFL league, we just set our Live (Offline) draft date for Aug 19th, had to be a little earlier this year, but it will work out.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
It's almost that time of the year again! When does everyone normally have their drafts? Most years we do a live draft and have it first couple weeks of August. This year we are finally all on agreement to do it near the end of August.

Anybody do anything cool for winner or loser? I'm not talking drastic like make the loser get a tattoo.

There's also some interesting movement from FA last year as always, but many high profile guys coming back from injury too. I have only read a few articles here and there, but do stats dive as it gets closer to the draft.

I love this time of year coming into drafts, the fair, fall for weather and both college football and the nfl. Summer is flying by, but before too long we'll be out supporting that cardinal and gold! (PS - it's a Friday so I wanted some added convo for today).

Last year it was cash for the winner, and a pink unicorn "I suck at Fantasy Football" shirt for the loser (along with accompanying pics on our work's FB page).

alenz95

Apr 16, 2015
Bettendorf/ Ames
Who are people eyeing as sleepers at RB this year? I hit big on Damarco Murray 4 years ago when he went off in Dallas, and again with Todd Gurley last year. Neither was exactly a huge sleeper, but each managed near number 1 fantasy performances as non first round picks.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Who are people eyeing as sleepers at RB this year? I hit big on Damarco Murray 4 years ago when he went off in Dallas, and again with Todd Gurley last year. Neither was exactly a huge sleeper, but each managed near number 1 fantasy performances as non first round picks.

I hit big on Kareem Hunt last year. I'm wildly unprepared this year. I'm keeping an eye on Royce Freeman in Denver. And I kind of like Nyheim Hines in Indy as a PPR guy. Frank Reich is going to want the ball coming out as quick as possible to protect Andrew Luck, which means plenty of opportunity for routes out of the backfield and dump-offs.

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I have managed leagues for about 5 years now. It is very enjoyable to have weekly game watches at a bar or someone that can host. Draft parties at Buffalo Wild Wings are often a hit for our leagues (they provide a draft board and everything at no cost). We tend to draft on Sunday afternoons during a few weeks into preseason to let a few injuries get shaken out.

As far as prizes, last year i decided to use the money pool to purchase a rotating championship belt from Fantasyjocks.com. That belt is a thing of beauty! Pretty much the size of those WWE belts and it's all metal. Last place gets a licence plate cover for their car the the whole year that states "Fantasy Football Loser".

If we have 12 worthy managers willing to participate I can make a league through ESPN no problem.

Reactions: 4theCYcle

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
We've had the same main group of guys in our 12-team league for 15+ years, and this year we're switching to an auction style draft.

Anyone else have experience with both snake and auction drafts? Which you prefer? Tips for selling this to the grumpies who will undoubtedly ***** and moan about switching? I did a quick mock and it looks like Yahoo makes it a pretty intuitive and easy process.

Javinegli

Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Auction drafts definitely takes more research and the actual draft takes more work. But it pays divedens if you put the work in. I prefer snake draft honestly.
We've had the same main group of guys in our 12-team league for 15+ years, and this year we're switching to an auction style draft.

Anyone else have experience with both snake and auction drafts? Which you prefer? Tips for selling this to the grumpies who will undoubtedly ***** and moan about switching? I did a quick mock and it looks like Yahoo makes it a pretty intuitive and easy process.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Auction drafts definitely takes more research and the actual draft takes more work. But it pays divedens if you put the work in. I prefer snake draft honestly.

We have a few guys who are lazy and don't put in work, just set the snake draft to auto. That's one of the reasons we're switching.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
We've been running with our league for 15 years now. It's a money league but a few years back we decided to throw in a winning trophy which worked out well. Two years ago we decided to award the worst team in the league with the losers trophy, properly named The Golden Turd, complete with their name and team name inscribed on the side and I've never seen teams fight so hard just to make sure they don't get this trophy.

upload_2018-7-27_20-42-39.png

• Funny
Reactions: 4theCYcle

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

I prefer snake, it's less of a pain when you have to deal with guys overspending on a lot of players early on and then realizing later they don't have much to spend. But then again, that's when you take full advantage on sleepers and a balanced roster. I've only done it once, team didn't turn out too bad. We did ours offline when we did it.