2019 World Pork Expo Cancelled

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I am sure some of you will care about this story. The National Pork Producers Council has cancelled the 2019 World Pork Expo in Des Moines due to a fear of African Swine Fever. This is a big deal since more than 20,000 travel to it every year from around the globe. Big hit for the fairgrounds.

https://www.feedstuffs.com/news/world-pork-expo-2019-cancelled-precaution

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Don't blame them it seems they are a ways away from getting a handle on that African Swine Fever. Hog prices are up because of it last I knew.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Talked about ASF at our big company meeting in January. Lets just saw the mood was much different once we were done with that discussion. Smart on them to cancel until they have a better understanding of this

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
We just had a meeting this morning with our company vet on ASF and the effects on herd health, markets, and overall industry perception. Not an easy call, but the correct call. I reached out to a few on the board that had to make this decision and it wasn't something they wanted to do, but couldn't risk it.

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think this is a smart move with all of the international guests this event hosts and there being live animals present.

IF we can keep ASF out of the country, producers stand to make a ton of money with China needing to import from our pork supply to meet their demand.

Were to break with ASF, I think we could keep it contained. But export markets would still close, which could potentially be catastrophic for the industry and for Iowa's economy.