2021 Cyclone Volleyball

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Excited for a new chapter with this program. It looks like CJL and staff took advantage of the transfer market like most teams this year. A pretty large roster turnover with some key returners that should rejuvenate the program.

Returners:
Outsides

Brooke Andersen OH 6-0 Sr. Waukesha, Wis.
Annie Hatch OH 6-1 Jr. Mesa, Ariz. / Mesa

Right Side
Eleanor Holthaus RS 6-1 Sr. Richmond, Minn.
Kenzie Mantz RS/OH 6-2 Jr. Belle Plaine, Iowa

Middles
Avery Rhodes MB 6-2 R-Sr. Waco, Texas
Candelaria Herrera MB 6-1 Sr. San Juan, Argentina
Abby Greiman MB 6-2 R-So. Perry, Iowa
Alexis Engelbrecht MB 6-2 So. Cary, N.C.
Jordan Hopp MB 6-2 So. Alliance, Neb.

DS/L
Taylor Baranski DS/L 5-6 Sr. Channahon, Ill
Kate Shannon DS/L 5-7 Jr. Waterloo, Iowa
Julia Capone DS/L 5-6 So. Mississauga Ontario
Micah Hall DS/L 5-2 So. San Antonio, Texas

A great nucleus of returning players there. Looking for outsides to keep improving especially with some productive newcomers coming in. El will continue to be the cornerstone of this team and love seeing Kenzie improve her game this past season. A blessing in disguise last year having rotating middles with plenty of starts and playing time coming back. It will be interesting to see who wins the Libero battle as Christy always seems to have a stable of very good back row players. I think the most concerning thing is not returning any setters. I'm not sure if that's every happened in this staff's tenure here.

Departures:
Seniors-

Izzy Enna DS/L 5-8 Sr. Kansas City, Mo.
Piper Mauck S 6-1 Sr. Des Moines, Iowa

Jenna Brandt S 5-10 Jr. Sumner, Iowa Transferred to UNI
Michal Schuler OH 6-0 So. Oregon, Ill.
Jaiden Centeno DS/L 5-7 So. Omaha, Neb. Transferred to Omaha
Haleigh Hadley OH 6-0 Fr. Ames, Iowa Transferred to Indian Hills for High Jump

Newcomers:
Freshman-

Addi Heidemann S 5-11 Diller, Nebraska
Allie Petry DS/L 5-6 Council Bluffs, Iowa
Brooke Stonestreet DS/OH 5-10 Olathe, Kansas

Transfers-
Mariah Mitchell RS 6-0 Sr. Wapello, Iowa / Western Illinois
Jaden Newsome S 6-0 Sr. Houston, Texas / Missouri
Marija Popovic DS/L 5-5 Sr. Belgrade, Serbia / Pittsburgh
Solei Thomas OH/RS 5-11 Sr. Detroit, Mich. / Clemson

Lots to like with these newcomers with some obvious openings for serious playing time. I'd assume Newsome will be our stating setter with the other 3 transfers finding time on the court in some capacity. Plenty to like with this group, and I'm excited for a fresh start this fall!

https://cyclones.com/news/2020/11/11/volleyball-welcomes-three-in-2021-signing-day-class.aspx

https://cyclones.com/news/2021/5/25/volleyball-adds-four-for-2021-season.aspx

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The addition of 4 grad transfers speaks to the dearth of existing roster talent. All 4 could end up in the primary rotation. While the talent influx was needed, the ability of the newcomers to quickly mesh with the returnees and with each other will be a big question mark. If they don't, the NCAAs will likely be missed again.

And Marija Popovic must have been the player to be named later in the Hali Hillegas transaction with Pitt :) Hopefully she plays as well for ISU as Hillegas did for Pitt.

Did Schuler depart for medical reasons or is she in the portal? When healthy, she had the potential to be an All-Conference type player and is a significant loss for the program.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
The addition of 4 grad transfers speaks to the dearth of existing roster talent. All 4 could end up in the primary rotation. While the talent influx was needed, the ability of the newcomers to quickly mesh with the returnees and with each other will be a big question mark. If they don't, the NCAAs will likely be missed again.

And Marija Popovic must have been the player to be named later in the Hali Hillegas transaction with Pitt :) Hopefully she plays as well for ISU as Hillegas did for Pitt.

Did Schuler depart for medical reasons or is she in the portal? When healthy, she had the potential to be an All-Conference type player and is a significant loss for the program.

Schuler was the only one not on the roster that I couldn’t find any info about. With her injury history, it wouldn’t surprise me to see her medically retire. But disappointing for sure as she’s shown flashes of great athleticism here.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
Sounds like Newsome is all but a lock at setter, especially since the other setter is a walk-on.

Popovic could very well be the starting libero as well after playing for an Elite Eight team at Pitt.

Mitchell had pretty good stats in the Summit League, but her team sucked. She is a left-handed RS, but we do have Holthus the proven starter there. Graduating in three years was impressive and will be working on her Masters in Seed Technology and Business. Good for her!

Thomas was on the ACC All-Freshman team her first year and a regular all three years. Given the lack of depth at OH, she should see PT there.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I have only watched a small sample of summit league because we have x teammates and club teammates playing in it. Some decent play but overall not a high standard after top 3.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
So she started out at East Tennessee, transferred to Pitt, second team libero, and now transfers again to ISU. . Why am I thinking options A, B, and C fell through

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Schuler was the only one not on the roster that I couldn’t find any info about. With her injury history, it wouldn’t surprise me to see her medically retire. But disappointing for sure as she’s shown flashes of great athleticism here.
She's getting married this summer. What I have heard is she is very close to her big family & missed being away. She definitely had a lot of potential.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
She's getting married this summer. What I have heard is she is very close to her big family & missed being away. She definitely had a lot of potential.
Next to the girl from UNLV she had the most deadly top spin jump serve I can remember. Not a fan of it generally because not very many people do it well and a crappy top spin serve is really easy to pass.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA

Interesting. I definitely wish her well. I didn’t see her name listed anywhere on volleytalk in regards to transferring but there aren’t many options at this level any closer than Ames. Side note: I can’t imagine getting married at 20 lol

• Agree
Reactions: Cyfan1965

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Next to the girl from UNLV she had the most deadly top spin jump serve I can remember. Not a fan of it generally because not very many people do it well and a crappy top spin serve is really easy to pass.
Mariena is coming back for her covid year. I'm sure Dawn is very happy.

Reactions: Cyfan1965

Crazyape22

Feb 22, 2019
Interesting. I definitely wish her well. I didn’t see her name listed anywhere on volleytalk in regards to transferring but there aren’t many options at this level any closer than Ames. Side note: I can’t imagine getting married at 20 lol
I kept looking on volleytalk too. So, what I was told was apparently true...she was quitting.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
So she started out at East Tennessee, transferred to Pitt, second team libero, and now transfers again to ISU. . Why am I thinking options A, B, and C fell through
Unfortunately, recent recruiting has resulted in too many Plan B & C options being signed. If the NCAAs are missed again this fall, there may need to be changes made either in staff (not necessarily CJL) and/or a commitment to a smaller campus venue for VB, Wrestling, Gymnastics to stimulate improved recruiting.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Candelaria Herrera was not likely to return, but it's sweet she appears on the roster for '21-'22.

Thanks for this infusion of info on a sport which has been waning in my interest. Invigoration of the roster was needed. The problem is all teams are having holdovers, transfers, and grad students. So we, rather than advancing, will likely hold steady. Or if we improve, it will be a happy surprise. After a decade of being pre-seasonally optimistic, I'm going to cheer during the season and look for a positive conclusion. Thank goodness for Eleanor Holthaus, she (and maybe Hatch) is an anchor for anything we want to accomplish...big fan..

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Looking at the hitting numbers of our recent recruits before the current crop our decline was very predictable.

CyclonesFan4ever

Jan 10, 2021
Ames
Thanks to OP for writing a great summary of the current status of our Volleyball program. Our VB team still holds a special place in my heart next to our WBB team and I believe it's the second most important women's sport for our school. I hope our team can bounce back to join the success train with our other women's programs next season. I'll definitely follow our VB team more closely.

Candelaria Herrera was not likely to return, but it's sweet she appears on the roster for '21-'22.

I can also confirm this. According to a recent interview with CJL, she mentioned Candee will be returning next season, which is great news.

If you are a volleyball fan, the FIVB Women's Nations League is being held in Italy. Team USA has won their first two games.

You can check out the highlights here.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Somebody that can pass would be a welcome addition to this team. Hope she settles in well.