2022-2023 MBB computer projections thread

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't think so. OU and OSU, if they go 7-11 and then lose the first conf tourney game, will both be 16-16 (assuming OSU beats Ole Miss and OU loses to 'bama on Sat)

I don't think 16-16 gets you into the tourney, regardless of the conference.
Based on where teams currently are in NET and given their current conference record, WVU could conceivably get in finishing 6-12. They are currently at 29 in NET and that would mean going 5-6 the rest of the way. It seems crazy, but I would guess 5-6 the rest of the way would keep them in the 40s.

Meanwhile, I wouldn't be surprised if OU and OSU probably have to finish 8-10. That would mean OSU going 5-5 the rest of the way and OU 6-4.

Obviously SEC Challenge and B12 tourney games will matter if any of these teams are on the bubble.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Jerry Palm = worst bracketologist

Has KSU a #1 seed in Des Moines and ISU a #3 seed in Greensboro

If those seeds actually held, ISU and KU or KSU would be in Des Moines and KSU/KU would be in Denver.

*He also has Iowa playing Michigan state first round.......

• Haha
Reactions: NoCreativity

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK

If those seeds actually held, ISU and KU or KSU would be in Des Moines and KSU/KU would be in Denver.

I personally like the first four match of Northwestern and Penn State. Maybe it is allowed but a first round matchup between conference teams like that doesn’t seem likely to happen.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010

Also has us in a first round rematch with UNC, which I don't believe occurs. And, while I'm at it, he has UNC as a six seed

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019

Palm is ranked 125th.. so yeah, he fkn blows

also has Arizona as a #1 in dsm.. lol

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Palm must have done an update since the previous few posts (either that or the link posted was prior to today's update).. it's showing ISU as 3 in Columbus; Iowa at 10 playing Providence (not MSU) and Penn State & Northwestern are in separate First Four brackets.

(Not arguing legitimacy of his bracket as a whole, just pointing it out)

Also, re: question posted earlier -- to my knowledge, teams from same league are allowed to be placed in First Four matchup, although I'm guessing committee would try to avoid it if possible. But maybe there is a rule they can't meet if they've played more than once in regular season, unless unavoidable (not sure on that one, without checking).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
A little update on our Nitty Gritty: (future games)

ISU Net 9

Q1 6-4 (9)
Q1a 3-2 (6)
Q1b 3-2 (3)

Q2 2-0 (2)
Q2a 0-0 (1)
Q2b 2-0 (1)

Q3 1-0

Q4 6-0

Note that Baylor H is on cusp of dropping to Q1b
BU H 14 (>15)

A couple of Q1b could go up to Q1a
KSU H 18 (<16)
Iowa(L) A 41 (<41)

Tech home game (Q2b) is in danger of becoming a Q3 game
TTU H 75 (>75)

One significant change since last time is Villanova rose from a Q3 win to a solid Q2b.

Reactions: cyclones500

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Kudos to the Tigers. Let's hope this team isn't going to fade from attrition.

One OOC road loss is not a disaster, though, but it did knock ISU down one or two seeding lines --

1675013874333.png

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Kudos to the Tigers. Let's hope this team isn't going to fade from attrition.

One OOC road loss is not a disaster, though, but it did knock ISU down one or two seeding lines --

View attachment 108987

We may find out tomorrow how serious Grill's injury really is. Hopefully he can max out as much as possible and then the break between games helps.

It seems like return times for Kunc are mixed in reporting but having him back would be great.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
We may find out tomorrow how serious Grill's injury really is. Hopefully he can max out as much as possible and then the break between games helps.

It seems like return times for Kunc are mixed in reporting but having him back would be great.

Williams was a preseason scratch.

Still haven't heard a timetable for Kunc to return.

Grill is a difficult one. Back injuries tend to linger a long time.

Missing on AJ Green is really hurting right now -- it would have been nice to have found one more transfer guard who could play in the Big 12. Wouldn't have needed to have been an absolute stud like Green would have been, but just somebody who could absorb minutes better than Watson can right now. Lipsey, Kalscheur, and Holmes have a lot of load to carry at the moment. We're running out of guards somehow!

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017

Missing on AJ Green is really hurting right now -- it would have been nice to have found one more transfer guard who could play in the Big 12. Wouldn't have needed to have been an absolute stud like Green would have been, but just somebody who could absorb minutes better than Watson can right now. Lipsey, Kalscheur, and Holmes have a lot of load to carry at the moment. We're running out of guards somehow!
Hassel said on one of the 2 Guys Named Chris podcast that he thought we were a guard away from being a great team. I thought he meant having a true bucket getter like Brockington was last year (because that was my biggest concern at the time), but since Grill got hurt it feels painfully obvious that even a replacement level guard would help right now. The next guard up after Grill is Watson/King/Kunc? None of them are guards or ballhandlers, which we desperately need.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Hassel said on one of the 2 Guys Named Chris podcast that he thought we were a guard away from being a great team. I thought he meant having a true bucket getter like Brockington was last year (because that was my biggest concern at the time), but since Grill got hurt it feels painfully obvious that even a replacement level guard would help right now. The next guard up after Grill is Watson/King/Kunc? None of them are guards or ballhandlers, which we desperately need.

I agree with this.

AJ Green would have made this a top-five team.

A replacement-level fallback would raise the floor given the injuries they're dealing with right now.

Unfortunately the Cyclones have neither.

:(

• Sad
Reactions: ChickenNuggetMan

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

It's crunch time, he needs to just take a shot before the game, play until the shot wears off, rest between games and repeat. He can get totally healed in the offseason.

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
If Green would have chosen to play another season of college, do Williams and/or Holmes go elsewhere? Probably. Injuries are a part of the game. Cryer for Baylor early, now Miles at TCU. A team has to adapt. We'll see how the Cyclones adapt.

BTW, I suspect Grill sits again Monday and I gotta think it will take Kunc a few games to get back into the flow when he is ready to play.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I will never forget a few years back when Palm had K-State in the Alamo Bowl (#1 choice of Big 12 teams) and they were picked past and went to the Texas Bowl. How he bosses keep trotting him out there when actual talent is getting let go across the country is insane.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If Green would have chosen to play another season of college, do Williams and/or Holmes go elsewhere? Probably. Injuries are a part of the game. Cryer for Baylor early, now Miles at TCU. A team has to adapt. We'll see how the Cyclones adapt.

BTW, I suspect Grill sits again Monday and I gotta think it will take Kunc a few games to get back into the flow when he is ready to play.

The timeline for the offseason last spring was...

3/28 = Brockington announces he is leaving
3/28 = Conditt announces he is leaving
3/28 = CW leaks to premium subscribers that Jackson and Walker are leaving
3/28 = CW leaks Enaruna is leaving but Jones is staying
4/4 = Williams commits
4/16 = Ward commits
4/18 = Hunter betrays us and **** him
4/29 = Holmes commits
5/13 = Osunniyi commits
6/1 = Green announces he's staying in the draft

There was no either/or about Williams, Holmes, and Green. Williams and Holmes had long been committed when we were expected to land Green before Green just barely made it into the NBA.

That would have been different say the previous season. I doubt, say, Brockington *and* Kalscheur come if AJ had followed his father to Ames. But there wasn't a dynamic like that last offseason.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
8 of 10 Big 12 teams are in the top 50 of the NET. Oklahoma is 56th and Texas Tech is 69th which isn't awful. As comparison...Minnesota is 221st. Oregon State is 217th. Georgia Tech is 218th. Georgetown is 241st.

Reactions: isutrevman

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron