2022 Iowa High School Football Playoffs

ClonesFTW

Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Thinking back through four years of HS ball my longest football bus ride was 184 miles, Council Tucky to Marshalltown in '05.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Go Davenport West!

Also, anyone know the reason Dowling is playing at East’s stadium? It seems weird they aren’t playing at Valley’s since Valley is away. A chance to make it less of a drive for the east side Catholics?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Go Davenport West!

Also, anyone know the reason Dowling is playing at East’s stadium? It seems weird they aren’t playing at Valley’s since Valley is away. A chance to make it less of a drive for the east side Catholics?

Dowling only plays regular-season games at Valley. Whether that's a formal or informal agreement, I have no idea.

Reactions: Mads4st8

Stumper

Jun 19, 2020
The dumbest game in the 1st round was East Sac County vs West Sioux! With only 2 wins, we had absolutely no business being in the playoffs. We were outnumbered, outsized and lucky only 1 of our players was injured. The kids played their hearts out and their coach didn't run the score up but several of their players were laughing at our team. My son released a season's worth of frustration and was cracking pads with them.
I asked him if he yelled Go Cyclones! to Hunter Dekkers but he didn't see him when he was chased out of bounds on their sideline. LOL

Reactions: clone2003

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
The dumbest game in the 1st round was East Sac County vs West Sioux! With only 2 wins, we had absolutely no business being in the playoffs. We were outnumbered, outsized and lucky only 1 of our players was injured. The kids played their hearts out and their coach didn't run the score up but several of their players were laughing at our team. My son released a season's worth of frustration and was cracking pads with them.
I asked him if he yelled Go Cyclones! to Hunter Dekkers but he didn't see him when he was chased out of bounds on their sideline. LOL
that east sac county district was horrible this year but agreed 2-6 shouldn't be making the playoffs. I think it was only that class that had a 2 win team make it. Saw a couple of 3-5 teams.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
that east sac county district was horrible this year but agreed 2-6 shouldn't be making the playoffs. I think it was only that class that had a 2 win team make it. Saw a couple of 3-5 teams.

That's the result of coaches wanting 32 teams in the playoffs -- top 4 get in out of 6-team districts in 1A and 2A. You can go 0-3 non-district and 2-3 in district and get in.

Union (2-6) and Iowa Falls-Alden (2-6) in 2A, and East Sac (2-6) in 1A.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
That's the result of coaches wanting 32 teams in the playoffs -- top 4 get in out of 6-team districts in 1A and 2A.

Union (2-6) and Iowa Falls-Alden (2-6) in 2A, and East Sac (2-6) in 1A.
Yeah, 32 of the 48 teams shouldn't be making the playoffs. They need to find some middle ground- somewhere.

Taking just the top 2 (district champ/runner up) could leave some teams out.

I don't get why they just didn't do the RPI systems for all classes and take 16 from all classes. I get the smaller classes have more schools but at the end of the day there are probably 8 solid teams anyway.

nothing against East Sac, Union, and Iowa Falls but they should not get to hang a playoff banner for going 2-6.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Taking just the top 2 (district champ/runner up) could leave some teams out.

I don't get why they just didn't do the RPI systems for all classes and take 16 from all classes. I get the smaller classes have more schools but at the end of the day there are probably 8 solid teams anyway.

Then you get into situations where a team like Denver, who was a 3-way champion in their district (4-1/6-2 overall) with A-P and D-NH, doesn't get in.

24 (top 3) would be fine, because you'd have to at least finish in the top half of the district. The reluctance to have first-round byes squashes that, though.

There are already 4 different qualifying systems for the 7 classes.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Then you get into situations where a team like Denver, who was a 3-way champion in their district (4-1/6-2 overall) with A-P and D-NH, doesn't get in.

24 (top 3) would be fine, because you'd have to at least finish in the top half of the district. The reluctance to have first-round byes squashes that, though.

There are already 4 different qualifying systems for the 7 classes.
Going straight RPI route would fix that, though.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Going straight RPI route would fix that, though.
Def need the RPI, and I'd say 24 w/ byes is probably the way to go. I'd rather they err on the side of letting too many in, but 32 given the current size of the classes is too many.

• Agree
Reactions: CoachHines3

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Got to a really good 8 man game last week. They are always wild but SE Warren beat East Mills with a double reverse flea flicker. 5 of the 8 Se Warren players in the field touched the ball on the play. Crazy.

I'll be officiating the SE Warren game tonight, they're hosting Fremont-Mills. Looks like it could be a good game, too. Teams look evenly matched on paper, and both coming off close wins in Rd 1.

We've had games with 4 potential champs this season - Harlan (3A), Van Meter (1A), Lynnville-Sully (A), & WACO (8 man). Just heard that we have a game next week but won't know who until Tuesday.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I'll be officiating the SE Warren game tonight, they're hosting Fremont-Mills. Looks like it could be a good game, too. Teams look evenly matched on paper, and both coming off close wins in Rd 1.

We've had games with 4 potential champs this season - Harlan (3A), Van Meter (1A), Lynnville-Sully (A), & WACO (8 man). Just heard that we have a game next week but won't know who until Tuesday.

We had Lenox last week for Rd 1. They look like a solid 8 man team this year. CAM/Lenox will be a good 8 man game tonight.

We didn't get to advance as a crew so we're done for the year. :( hahaha

Reactions: Tailg8er

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Those are two really physical teams that like to run the ball, you might get home early :) .